Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

Feraud

Bartender
As for milk delivery, our milkman went away about 1970. His little red-and-yellow truck sat decaying in his yard, though, until the late '90s. I think there were animals living in it when they finally hauled it away.
This comment bring back a very old memory of a neighbor's ice truck kept in his front yard. He must have stopped delivering before I was 8-10 years old because I don't recall it ever moving from the spot.
Haven't thought about that truck in around 30 years..

I ate my share of those fifteen-cent cones at Thrifty's when I lived in Santa Barbara back in the early '80s. The ice creams were great, but it was rough having to step over all the rummies out front slurping their Night Trains and their Thunderbirds.

As for milk delivery, our milkman went away about 1970. His little red-and-yellow truck sat decaying in his yard, though, until the late '90s. I think there were animals living in it when they finally hauled it away.

That's right! They were 15 cents. Maybe even 10 cents in the 70s. We didn't have bums and winos outside ours. lol lol I am sure they probably sold Thunderbird there though. It is good for any occasion:
[video=youtube_share;0xY7mBQrzXU]http://youtu.be/0xY7mBQrzXU[/video]

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That's right! They were 15 cents. Maybe even 10 cents in the 70s. We didn't have bums and winos outside ours. lol lol I am sure they probably sold Thunderbird there though. It is good for any occasion

They did indeed -- in fact, they sold it in little mini six-packs for the discerning bum on the go. Or if they wanted something a bit more festive, there was always Champale.

They did indeed -- in fact, they sold it in little mini six-packs for the discerning bum on the go. Or if they wanted something a bit more festive, there was always Champale.

:rofl: Or Ripple.
55-dead-end-drinks-hdr.jpg

Last edited:

panama red

New in Town
78 rpm records, howdy dowdy, ty cobb, the last civil war veteran, Harry Truman was president when I was born, steam locomotives, 9v radios, running boards, starter buttons, coal men, ice men, rag men, nickel cokes, penny candy,vendor machine cigarettes with 2 pennies change on side of package, soda jerks, on and on ......

dnjan

One Too Many
Back to the topic of things that have disappeared, but staying with the rot-gut wine theme:

Why remembers Tyrolia???

When I was in grad school we would get a big jug of tyrolia and a bunch of salted-in-the-shell peanuts.
And then watch whatever classic, one-star movie was on TV.

Someplace during the second water-glass of Tyrolia, the movie got a lot better ...

Earl Needham

Familiar Face
Around here the milkman and the glass bottles disappeared about 30 years ago. There are only a few of the old dairys left scattered around the state. We used to have a dairy/ malt shop/ soda fountain that bottled milk in glass bottles right there accross the alley from where I'm sitting right now. That closed in 1972. What really bugs me is that we're up to our armpits in cows and all our bottled milk comes from 100 miles away or more.

A hundred miles? Oh boy, you haven't seen ANYTHING!

I drive a truck for a big milk-hauling outfit. You wouldn't believe how far we haul milk in tankers -- from here in eastern New Mexico, I've hauled milk & cream to:
Dallas
Houston
San Antonio
Atlanta
Dothan & Mobile, both in Alabama
Memphis, Tn
Phoenix
Le Mars, Iowa (Blue Bunny ice Cream)
Brenham, Texas (Blue Bell Ice Cream)
Green Bay
More than a few places in Wisconsin and Minnesota

etc, etc. Farthest I've hauled milk was about 1500 miles! A couple of years ago, I spent the whole summer going empty from Clovis, NM to Tipton, California -- just north of Bakersfield -- and bringing a tanker of milk back to Clovis. Did that twice a week and it wore me out! Something like 1200 miles each way!

I always though milk was a local business, now I know better.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Farthest I've hauled milk was about 1500 miles! A couple of years ago, I spent the whole summer going empty from Clovis, NM to Tipton, California -- just north of Bakersfield -- and bringing a tanker of milk back to Clovis. Did that twice a week and it wore me out! Something like 1200 miles each way!

You've got to wonder how they make any money off of the milk. Of course, the farmers don't make a much (unless they are running a mega farm with illegal labor) but I'm referring to everyone else in the "milk supply chain."

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi

Check out www.bumwine.com/ they rate the various old time and new "inexpensive wines". If memory serves, they even review Key Lime Pie flavored Mogan David 20/20. Everyone should try the regular MD 20/20, it's like getting bombed on Cough Syrup.

Ripple went under, but I think Wild Irish Rose is still in business.

Flicka

One Too Many
I had Cointreau from 1943 a few years ago - a friend had inherited an unopened bottle from his grandfather. It gave me massive thrills to drink something produced during WWII. Unfortunately, it hadn't improved with age, but it was fully drinkeable!

dnjan

One Too Many
Someone once gave my grandmother -- a lifelong Prohibitionist -- a bottle of Mogen David for Christmas. It sat, unopened, in her refrigerator for more than twenty years. One wonders if it would have improved with age.
It probably would have boiled down into a nice reduction sauce. Kind of like a balsamic reduction.

A hundred miles? Oh boy, you haven't seen ANYTHING!

I drive a truck for a big milk-hauling outfit. You wouldn't believe how far we haul milk in tankers -- from here in eastern New Mexico, I've hauled milk & cream to:
Dallas
Houston
San Antonio
Atlanta
Dothan & Mobile, both in Alabama
Memphis, Tn
Phoenix
Le Mars, Iowa (Blue Bunny ice Cream)
Brenham, Texas (Blue Bell Ice Cream)
Green Bay
More than a few places in Wisconsin and Minnesota

etc, etc. Farthest I've hauled milk was about 1500 miles! A couple of years ago, I spent the whole summer going empty from Clovis, NM to Tipton, California -- just north of Bakersfield -- and bringing a tanker of milk back to Clovis. Did that twice a week and it wore me out! Something like 1200 miles each way!

I always though milk was a local business, now I know better.

Cal EPA is doing their best to drive dairy farms out of California and the suburban sprawl is making a lot of Southern California Dairy property worth too much. The tract builders would love to build on every acre to provide housing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth