Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Vintage household cleaning products are disappearing fast, if they're not already extinct -- pushed aside by the "convenience" of the Swiffer, which in just a decade has completely taken over the floor-care section at the grocery store. Looking for Aerowax? Glo-Coat? Kleer? Top Job? Spic-and-Span powder? Forget it, they're extinct. Of the floor-cleaning brands of my childhood, only Lestoil and Pine-Sol are still with us, and they're relegated to the bottom shelf, underneath five rows of Wet-Jet products. You can't even get plain bottled Lysol concentrate anymore.

Thing is, you can Swiff your head off and you still won't get the floor really clean, not like a proper string mop will do. And with a Swiffer you've got a lot of trash to throw away after you're done cleaning, those refillable cleaning pads and plastic jugs for the solution. With a string mop, you might wear a head out every couple of years, but if you keep it rinsed and let it dry in the sun after you're done, it can last a long time.

Flicka

One Too Many
Oh, yes, cleaning equipment! You can't find a proper rag and brush for scrubbing floor anymore anywhere. It's all 'microfibre mops' which are dandy fine, only you can't scrub floors with them. Also shelf paper which used to be everywhere - now you have to order it online and it's designed and costs 25 bucks a roll which I refuse to pay.

Warden

One Too Many
Did I meantion, we get our milk delivered by a milkman each morning, (which in itself is usual) but now instead of the milk coming in glass bottles, it arrives in a plastic bag, to be tranfered into a jug.

http://www.fdin.org.uk/2011/06/dairy-crest-jugit%C2%AE-makes-tesco-milk-greener/

Screen-shot-2011-06-28-at-20.01.20.png

FountainPenGirl

One of the Regulars
Around here the milkman and the glass bottles disappeared about 30 years ago. There are only a few of the old dairys left scattered around the state. We used to have a dairy/ malt shop/ soda fountain that bottled milk in glass bottles right there accross the alley from where I'm sitting right now. That closed in 1972. What really bugs me is that we're up to our armpits in cows and all our bottled milk comes from 100 miles away or more.

Flicka

One Too Many
We never had a milkman here. Some 60 years ago, you brought big bottles to the store and filled them up, but that system ended before the 60s.

dnjan

One Too Many
Funny. Having grown up on a farm and having milk with cream on top, I hated it. I was much happier when we finally got rid of the last cow and started buying homogenized milk at the store.

FountainPenGirl

One of the Regulars
We all grew up on raw milk and loved it. Dad had a tin cup in the barn and liked the warm milk right from the cow. I liked to wait until it was cooled. Back then they got paid more for high butter fat in the milk.

dnjan

One Too Many
I do remember the Fuller Brush Man coming around when I was a kid.
Back when everyone had a hair brush.

Can't remember the last time I brushed my hair ...

Coin-op gumball machines and the like are going the way of the dinosaur.

And the ice cream bar inside the Thrifty Drug Store. I go in there now and I still remember the ice cream bar along one side as you walk in and the gumball machines that were across from it. I can still remember the wierd scooper that gave you a rectangular scoop of ice cream on your cone.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I ate my share of those fifteen-cent cones at Thrifty's when I lived in Santa Barbara back in the early '80s. The ice creams were great, but it was rough having to step over all the rummies out front slurping their Night Trains and their Thunderbirds.

As for milk delivery, our milkman went away about 1970. His little red-and-yellow truck sat decaying in his yard, though, until the late '90s. I think there were animals living in it when they finally hauled it away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth