Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

No, but you have a fine eye my friend. It's Chevrolet's Equivalent of the day, the Caprice Estate. Biggest difference is that Chevy's woodgrain is more of an oak, versus Ford Country Squire's Deeper, Mahogany Color.
My 87 Chevrolet Caprice Estate
ce11.jpg

An 87 Ford Crown Victoria Country Squire
22584910008_large.jpg

Phineas Lamour said:
:eek:fftopic:

Atomic Tom, Is that an old Ford Country Squire in that pic on the dresser?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I do this out of kindness...

I tried to find specific people to quote but gave up right around page 11...

For those of you bemoaning the lack of the old fashioned gums, (Beemans, Clove and that other one...)

Please take yourself to the nearest CVS Pharmacy. Over the summer they had some 'nostalgic candy' thing going on...and so had all of these plus a bunch of other random stuff.

They are now done with said promotion and a pack of these gums is one nickel.

I picked up 20 packs of Clove gum this morning for the lovely cost of 1 dollar and tax.

If one of you cannot find the kind you like (they are back on the 'clearance' end cap..wherever that is in your store)...PM me and I can go back in and snatch more up from all the local CVS stores and send it along.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
All of our favorite lost objects...

Made guest appearances in this week's NCIS episode. There was a city wide power outage and they still had a case to solve...

enter Polaroid cameras, a mimeograph machine, finger print and tire track recognition done by hand...etc.

Here a link to a preview which shows a bit of it...but its seriously worth watching the whole episode over at cbs.com, for its sheer hysterical treatment of old tech items.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U6QZqiIuHMI&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U6QZqiIuHMI&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Miss Neecerie said:
Made guest appearances in this week's NCIS episode. There was a city wide power outage and they still had a case to solve...

enter Polaroid cameras, a mimeograph machine, finger print and tire track recognition done by hand...etc.

Here a link to a preview which shows a bit of it...but its seriously worth watching the whole episode over at cbs.com, for its sheer hysterical treatment of old tech items.

Oh, that was great! Especially since I was just typing a letter to a friend before dinner (yes, on a manual typewriter) and mentioned how I think we're going to loose internet, if not electricity at some point, and I'll be prepared with all my low-tech savvy. haha lol lol

OK:

1. That episode is a seriously good argument for solar-powered everything!

2. If any of you want someone to communicate with when we lose the internet, send me a PM and we'll exchange good old fashioned mailing addresses - stock up on paper now.

3. Where can I get my hands on one of those mimeograph machines?

4. Yes, I have canned goods, camp stove and fuel, etc. stored up and I'm stopping right now before I begin to sound like an alarmist-survivalist...

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Hamilton_Honey said:
Oh, that was great! Especially since I was just typing a letter to a friend before dinner (yes, on a manual typewriter) and mentioned how I think we're going to loose internet, if not electricity at some point, and I'll be prepared with all my low-tech savvy. haha lol lol

OK:

1. That episode is a seriously good argument for solar-powered everything!

2. If any of you want someone to communicate with when we lose the internet, send me a PM and we'll exchange good old fashioned mailing addresses - stock up on paper now.

3. Where can I get my hands on one of those mimeograph machines?

4. Yes, I have canned goods, camp stove and fuel, etc. stored up and I'm stopping right now before I begin to sound like an alarmist-survivalist...

hehe glad you liked it....its my favorite show and am -amazed- I managed to post on topic about it...hehe

Gibbs (the one with the bag of low tech tricks) also builds boats (over 7 seasons there have been 3-4 different ones) in his basement, using only hand tools. So it was very appropriate that he was the only one with no real issues about the power loss.

Although McGee writes novels on an old Remington typewriter while listening to Jazz 78's so he really should not have been -so- helpless...

Miss Neecerie said:
hehe glad you liked it....its my favorite show and am -amazed- I managed to post on topic about it...hehe

Gibbs (the one with the bag of low tech tricks) also builds boats (over 7 seasons there have been 3-4 different ones) in his basement, using only hand tools. So it was very appropriate that he was the only one with no real issues about the power loss.

Although McGee writes novels on an old Remington typewriter while listening to Jazz 78's so he really should not have been -so- helpless...

You know, I often think McGee doesn't get his fair props on that show! He should totally have a great girlfriend and I agree that he seems like he is way more capable than they give him credit for.

But the *real* question is - how does Gibbs get those boats out of the basement!

Staying on topic: Everyone hold on to your polaroid cameras - the cops are gonna need to borrow them someday...

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Hamilton_Honey said:
You know, I often think McGee doesn't get his fair props on that show! He should totally have a great girlfriend and I agree that he seems like he is way more capable than they give him credit for.

But the *real* question is - how does Gibbs get those boats out of the basement!

Staying on topic: Everyone hold on to your polaroid cameras - the cops are gonna need to borrow them someday...

McGee is just waiting for me to move to Washington.. ;)

And if you have a mimeograph.....please get in touch....they need that too ;)

Hamilton_Honey said:
Problem is: like a gun, any film-imaging camera is useless unless you can get the supplies to feed it with. Good luck finding enough Polaroid 600 cartridges to get ya through a case... unless you're already hoarding 'em.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
We called them mimeographs in school, but I think they technically weren't - the damp, intriguing-smelling copies that came in purple. Mmmm, I can still smell the pages.

Also, my mother had some stiff wire form things that she inserted into my dad's trousers (well, Levis mostly), in order to create a nice front crease as they hung on the line. I can picture them well, but don't know when I last saw them.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
ThesFlishThngs said:
We called them mimeographs in school, but I think they technically weren't - the damp, intriguing-smelling copies that came in purple. Mmmm, I can still smell the pages. QUOTE]

Noodlers ink "BayState Blue" has a faint smell that takes me right back to passing the papers in grade school.
Tom D.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
*sticks up hand*

Thought of another one.

Proper English spelling, grammar and punctuation. That stuff seems to be vanishing faster today than Jimmy Hoffa or Judge Crater did, 30 and 70+ years ago.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Shangas said:
I know you can still buy blotting-paper, for example, but I find it so darn tricky, I just use paper-towels most of the time.
I'd be dead without good blotting-paper.

People need to be buying things like blotting paper, good writing paper (not copier / printer paper), fountain pens & ink, plus visit shops that carry niche-market products more than once a year or so. They need the business, the income, and to know the items are in demand and worth stocking. They disappear because people stop buying and they can't run a profitable business anymore.

I'm letting friends have it from time to time when they go to a local store to handle and try out things, and to suck all the knowledge and opinions out of the staff, and then say they're going to order it on the Internet because it costs less. "Why didn't you ask the Internet source answer your questions?" "Well, they don't answer the phone / email / respond or they don't know their products very well..." "And so then you waste someone else's time who helped you decide, someone who stands behind their products and you'll do business to save money from some faceless responseless electronic source."

With the gift-giving time of the year coming up - why not hit the local independent shopkeeper to buy some gifts, instead of going to some deep-discount, big box, corporately run megachain. Encourage the local businesses to keep the doors open, because once they're gone, nobody else will probably come in to fill the void.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Mike in Seattle said:
People need to be buying things like blotting paper, good writing paper (not copier / printer paper), fountain pens & ink, plus visit shops that carry niche-market products more than once a year or so.

I wish I could, Mike, I wish I could! Sadly, there are no shops that sell those things within two hours of where I live, so it's all Internet shopping for me. :(

Regards,
Tom

Mike in Seattle

Tango Yankee said:
I wish I could, Mike, I wish I could! Sadly, there are no shops that sell those things within two hours of where I live, so it's all Internet shopping for me. :(

Regards,
Tom

Agreed - support 'em on the Internet if they're not within a reasonable distance.

Mike in Seattle

What I started to mention and got sidetracked - newspaper boys. I may have mentioned it earlier. But in any event - the neighborhood kid who delivers the newspaper to the neighborhood and collects the subscription dues every few months. It's one of the main reasons we no longer subscribe - delivery services have taken it over and scream through the neighborhood in the wee morning hours at break-neck speed, hurling papers that slam against the front door like a bomb going off. You didn't get your paper this morning? You call and leave a voicemail that's never returned. Same if it ends up on the roof or soaking wet because the baggie flew off mid-air.

docneg

One of the Regulars
ThesFlishThngs said:
We called them mimeographs in school, but I think they technically weren't - the damp, intriguing-smelling copies that came in purple. Mmmm, I can still smell the pages.
That was a ditto machine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philheaton