Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Between the blue and red M&Ms (being a child of the 80s) it's like they are a different candy.

I used to always sort out the tan and brown ones and eat those last in a weird scheduling order... they were my favorite. (I sort my candy by color and flavor in prescribed order depending upon what it is.)

I looked it up online and there was a blog (obviously done by someone younger) wondering how tan M&Ms could be appetizing. Sigh, the world has changed.

Between the blue and red M&Ms (being a child of the 80s) it's like they are a different candy.

I used to always sort out the tan and brown ones and eat those last in a weird scheduling order... they were my favorite. (I sort my candy by color and flavor in prescribed order depending upon what it is.)

I looked it up online and there was a blog (obviously done by someone younger) wondering how tan M&Ms could be appetizing. Sigh, the world has changed.

Substitute M&M's with Toffifee. ;)

EngProf

Practically Family

I agree that the tan/brown ones were better, and I'd also save them until last, but I'd eat all the colors. What made me think the tan/brown ones tasted better, I don't know. I can't imagine that they really did.

Many years ago a female co-worker swore she could tell which color an M&M was by taste. So the next day someone brought a bag of M&Ms to the office, and during a break we put it to a test by selecting a sample size of 20 random colors, blindfolding her with a bandana so she couldn't see them, and placing the M&Ms in her hand one by one so she could put them in her mouth herself, taste them, and tell us which color(s) they were. Sure enough, she guessed 3 out of 20 right. :rolleyes:

Bigger Don

Practically Family
When I first saw a blue M&M I knew Armageddon could not be far off.
That was my thought when they came out because I was working in Atlanta, consulting to Coca Cola. Red is *the* color, and there are stories of their hatred for anything blue because that's a Pepsi color. There was a huge billboard on I-85 with the blue M&M. The words were "What did you expect, peach?"

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
There are things you should be able to count on in life. One of those things is the color of M&Ms. In a properly run universe, they should be brown, tan, green, yellow and red. For a while orange replaced red during the hysteria over red food coloring, supposedly carcinogenic. Red came back soon enough. But blue is an abomination.

"Why is there no blue food? I can't find blue food. I can't find the flavor of blue! I mean, green is lime; yellow is lemon; orange is orange; red is cherry; what's blue? There's no blue! 'Oh,' they say, 'Blueberries!' Uh-uh; blue on the vine, purple on the plate. There's no blue food! Where is the blue food? We want the blue food! Probably bestows immortality! They're keeping it from us!"

George Carlin

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Blue food, with the exception of blueberries, is something I find absolutely revolting, no matter what it is. It makes me retch at the very thought of it. I'm retching right now as I type this, so I'm not going to say anything more about blue fo

Didn't know where to ask this and didn't see anything posted on it (I'm probably just missing the obvious and it's on the site prominently), but is there an update on what happened yesterday on the outage for FL? Just curious.

Stormy

A-List Customer
Wow! Believe it or not, these posts are givin' me a sweet tooth somethin' awful! I'm about to walk to the store and by some M&Ms or something. I'll be back in about half an hour ...

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
Remember paperweights? They existed because office buildings and houses used to have windows and transoms that opened to let air circulate through. This allowed in gusts of wind, which could scatter papers, thus paperweights. They came in many designs but they were all small, compact and heavy. Citizen Kane's snowball was a common type. My aunt had a millefleur that would be worth a lot of money now, very collectible. I had an uncle who was a WWII vet who had a tiny insurance office in our little south Texas town. He used an old artillery shell fuse from the war. Thing wasn't very big but incredibly heavy.

We live in a 1928 apartment that was designed as inkstainedwretched described (sadly no transoms, but large windows in every room facing north or south) for air to blow through and, fortunately, the original floor plan is still intact, so with our windows open, the air whips through here.

We also own several really strong fans and the combination of windows open, intelligently design floorpan for air flow and the fans means (1) on many days, we live in a mild windstorm and (2) we use much, much less air-conditioning than our neighbors who have the same or similar floorpans and windows, but they just seem to be in the mindset that once the temperature is over 70s, one turns on the air conditioning.

Additionally, since I work from home, I have a desk with papers (of course, a computer and all the other modern office stuff you need today too, but we have not become the paper-less society that was predicted), so paperweights are a necessity. I don't have any actual designed-as-paperweight paperweights, but I do have a metal perpetual calendar from, my guess, the '20s that serves nicely as does one end of my FADA radio and, if that's not enough, I have a Shaw Walker index-card file box (5"x6"x6") that isn't going anywhere as it's all solid wood.

The calendar and file box doing double duty:

The FADA radio multitasking away

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
Do door-to-door salesmen still exist? I remember the Fuller Brush men and the encyclopedia salesmen, but I haven't encountered one in many years. It seems like it would be a risky job in these paranoid times, when knocking on a stranger's door might get you shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bootsyd