Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
1920s Swiss Army Officer's Trench Watch - ticking away on my wrist as I type

Swiss Army knife with long stem magnifying lens.
50i63c.jpg

j7exw9.jpg

Fire extinguisher which I’m trying to use on the fire
on my desk right now which was started by the Army
Swiss knife magnifying lens. :(

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
^^^ The knife is cool, the fire extinguisher is ridiculously cool.

Had a similar fire extinguisher mounted on my 1946 running board along with original hubcaps.
But don’t feel comfortable parking in public places for long periods anymore.

Caught a kid in the act of trying to “borrow" these off my ’39 license plate.
2ivl84.jpg

Probably when these were common, nobody gave it a second thought. :(

^^^ Those are great. I'm always saddened by how much energy, sacrifice (you don't use your car the way you want to), money spent to prevent and angst are caused by petty crooks (not just the really big ones).

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I have the later version of the Shell plate topper on my Plodge - it's from the Shell "Share The Road" club, a campaign against road-hogging "screw drivers" and jaywalking "screw jays." The later version differs from the earlier ones by the use of reflective paint, which soon fades to insignificance in the sunlight.

You could get one for free from 1938-41 by signing the "Share The Road" pledge at your neighborhood Shell station.

Plate toppers have pretty much disappeared with the advent of bumper stickers and recessed license plate mountings, but in the Era they were ubiquitous. You could get a plate topper to show your allegiance to your favorite sports team, brand of gasoline, soft drink, vacation spot, or tourist trap, your lodge or club affiliation, your political alignment, or your profession. About the only thing they didn't have was a plate-topper equivalent to a Peeing Calvin -- but you could get a figure of a clown, jester, devil, or top-hatted skull thumbing his nose, which is the best next thing.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I have the later version of the Shell plate topper on my Plodge - it's from the Shell "Share The Road" club, a campaign against road-hogging "screw drivers" and jaywalking "screw jays." The later version differs from the earlier ones by the use of reflective paint, which soon fades to insignificance in the sunlight.

You could get one for free from 1938-41 by signing the "Share The Road" pledge at your neighborhood Shell station.

Looks like the “boys from marketing”
were @ full throttle from 1938-41. :(

97jtar.png

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
On the bright side, the Shell toppers are also flourishing.

I found one in mint condition just the other day. :)

Btw:
A friend visiting, went to the Strand yesterday but was closed.
Also there was a radio alert
regarding the heat or humidity.

Hope today is better for you all
up there.

Last edited:
If today's roads are any indication, they did a poor job. "Screw drivers" and "screw jays" are still flourishing.

My mind can't shift gears and every time you say "Screw drivers," I'm back in college looking for a vodka and orange juice :).

And 2Jakes, thanks for the kind wishes. As luck would have it, our main a/c (we have three, effectively, window units - one in the living room, one in the bedroom and one in a small office [I work from home]), the living room one which cools the living room and (kinda) the kitchen (a bit) is not working at all and was just taken back to the shop this morning (it's been out since the heat wave began). Thankfully we have the other two as the living room has topped out at over 100 degrees the last three days (and high 90s all last week). This is not crisis stuff, but man is that room warm. We haven't turn the oven on in well over two weeks.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
And 2Jakes, thanks for the kind wishes. As luck would have it, our main a/c (we have three, effectively, window units - one in the living room, one in the bedroom and one in a small office [I work from home]), the living room one which cools the living room and (kinda) the kitchen (a bit) is not working at all and was just taken back to the shop this morning (it's been out since the heat wave began). Thankfully we have the other two as the living room has topped out at over 100 degrees the last three days (and high 90s all last week). This is not crisis stuff, but man is that room warm. We haven't turn the oven on in well over two weeks.

xpskky.png

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
The last cafeteria here in town closed yesterday. That leaves one cafeteria in the state -- in St. Louis.

25763124136_69041406b7_b.jpg

28546624493_af6f1aebee_c.jpg
Still have two cafeterias in the city, but the food prepared today is very soft or bland.
This was not always the case. But the majority of the customers are now mostly
seniors.

There’s still a couple of small cafeterias in nearby small towns which are about 30 miles.
I usually stop there on the weekends when I go cruising the back roads to market fairs
or antique shows.

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
I recently stayed in a hotel belonging to a major chain and it struck me that hotel stationery has disappeared. I don't remember the last time I saw any. There used to be sheets and envelopes in the bedside tables or the desk if the room had one, all of course bearing the hotel's name. Phone books have pretty much gone as well. They still have ball-points, though. I came home with several.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Good Citizen Az