Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Law books have all but disappeared since I was licensed. Now attorneys simply access statutes and case law Westlaw or Lexis. I have friends who've decorated their offices with old volumes of the North Carolina Reports and Southeastern...but those books haven't been updated in years. They're just there to make clients feel like they're in a real law office.

AF

Blue prints and hard copies of architectural building plans. It's all done on the computer now. I find it so irritating having to scroll down and then enlarge. I get lost sometimes, and it is more difficult. Give me a large hard copy, and I can bang out a job much faster.
Plus, I miss the smell of blue prints. :p

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Blue prints and hard copies of architectural building plans. It's all done on the computer now. I find it so irritating having to scroll down and then enlarge. I get lost sometimes, and it is more difficult. Give me a large hard copy, and I can bang out a job much faster.

I am surprised at that. When I subdivided a peace of land this year, I had to have a bunch of copies made for each step in the process. I think at least six different steps and four or more copies each time. The real kicker was, after all the surveying and plats, it ended up being divided exactly where I circled the division. The only difference was, a slightly deeper utilities easement on both sides! Plus it cost a lot.

Blueprints began to disappear in the 1940's. I don't think I've ever worked with a true "blueprint", having mostly used the diazo "whiteprints" or 'blue lines", which smelled like ammonia (in fact, the whole room would knock you over with it). And everyone I work with still works with large printed hardcopies, at least in the field. We don't have a room full of draftsmen creating them by hand anymore though.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Blueprints began to disappear in the 1940's. I don't think I've ever worked with a true "blueprint", having mostly used the diazo "whiteprints" or 'blue lines", which smelled like ammonia (in fact, the whole room would knock you over with it). And everyone I work with still works with large printed hardcopies, at least in the field. We don't have a room full of draftsmen creating them by hand anymore though.
I'm hoping they'll go to CD some day soon.
Why?
I deal with them too, and carrying a shoebox full of CD's is lighter than carrying a few hundred pounds of paper.

Bugguy

Practically Family
Fluoroscopes (x-ray) for shoe fitting that left us with a whole generation of irradiated young boys and their mutant off-spring.

shoe.h1.jpg

Sounds like a Sci Fi concept.

EliasRDA

One of the Regulars
Fluoroscopes (x-ray) for shoe fitting that left us with a whole generation of irradiated young boys and their mutant off-spring.

View attachment 19859

Sounds like a Sci Fi concept.

Wow, I remember one of those in the shoe store we used to go to in SE CT. I used to love playing with it & we never thought anything of it. And it didn't stunt my brother or I, he's 6'3"-6'4" with size 14's & I'm about 6'1" with currently a size 12. :p

Last edited:

rjb1

Practically Family
"And it didn't stunt my brother or I, he's 6'3"-6'4" with size 14's & I'm about 6'1" with currently a size 12."

Maybe the shoe-radiation gadget is why you're both so big.
Wasn't Godzilla the result of radiation exposure?

EliasRDA

One of the Regulars
LOL :D
Actually, my temper is one reason I do not drink very much. I already am part irish, along with yankee (English) & American indian, my dad is full blooded swede so add in the Viking side & when I get drunk I am a mean nasty drunk. Not a side of myself I like, so I rein in my drinking. In 27 years I've only gotten **** drunk 3 times, luckily I've never drunk driven & I do not suffer hangovers so I remember every minute without the ill effects of headaches & such.

And for my brother & I being so tall? Again, my dad is full blooded swede, he's 6'1" & 70 some years ago & still acting like a 40 y/o. My mom is the "mutt", part amer indian, irish & English. She is 5'10" so we already come from tall stock. :p

LOL :D
Actually, my temper is one reason I do not drink very much. I already am part irish, along with yankee (English) & American indian, my dad is full blooded swede so add in the Viking side & when I get drunk I am a mean nasty drunk. Not a side of myself I like, so I rein in my drinking. In 27 years I've only gotten **** drunk 3 times, luckily I've never drunk driven & I do not suffer hangovers so I remember every minute without the ill effects of headaches & such.

And for my brother & I being so tall? Again, my dad is full blooded swede, he's 6'1" & 70 some years ago & still acting like a 40 y/o. My mom is the "mutt", part amer indian, irish & English. She is 5'10" so we already come from tall stock. :p

So it stunted your growth then. :p

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Pay 'n Pak. they were a great harware chain! I also miss the sound of the Thunder Boats. Remember Miss Pay'n Pak? [video=youtube;SUB9cJxsrDo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUB9cJxsrDo[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth