Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

I make pancakes with it, and add a bit of baking powder.
They rise just like regular pancakes.
I've also made cinnamon apple muffins with it, and they came out just fine.

Yeah I've noticed this trend of various flours that I never knew existed.
Almond, Coconut, Chickpea, Seminola(?) and others I've forgotten.
My mother is afflicted with Celiac and if she actually cooked, this would be wonderful (as Sheeplady pointed out) because now there are a lot of items in the grocery store that are gleuten free. And even some pizza places (I think) offer pizza this way.
I don't use almond flour to be trendy, or odd (I can be odd without it LOL). I use it because of the carb count verses the protein. I'm not on an "Atkins" diet, I just make sure I eat the proper ratio of carbs and protein daily. Of course breads, muffins, desserts, and even pancakes made with this flour do come out a bit grainy, but I can deal with it. Maybe it's just me, but eating all these chemicals have caused allergies that didn't exist 40-50yrs ago. Or perhaps we just now have the technology to know what caused "Jimmy" to react a certain way when he eats this or drinks that, who knows? I for one have given up a lot of subtitutes because of this. BTW, many grocery stores in the US now have Fanta flavors (in the bottle) made with sugar and not high fructose corn syrup. The strawberry I tried the other day tasted like strawbery, without any weird aftertaste. Maybe that and regular coke (with sugar) are making a come back, it certainly would be nice to see that.

Hipster!

dnjan

One Too Many
Semolina... it's just coarsely grinded grain (usually wheat) and probably older than fine flour.
I would be surprised if this hasn't been at US grocery stores continuosly.
I thought it was also lower gluten (than say, bread flour). Hence the preference for using some semolina in hand-tossed pizza crusts - so they don't spring back as much.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Either he has a condition or he is a Hipster. :p

What if I think it's hip to be ironic? :hat:
No condition. I started using it to help drop some weight, then when I started dropping weight for another reason, I just kept cooking with the stuff. I keep staple items like REAL flour out of the house, for my wife's sake. She doesn't have a condition, but if she doesn't start acting soon, she'll get one. I'm the primary cook in the house, so if I quit frying things, if I quit eating a lot of starches, then my wife has no choice but to follow suit, thus steering her towards a healthier lifestyle. LSS her mother didn't cook, so she grew up on fast food and frozen dinners. I on the other hand learned to cook from my grandmother, recipes handed down from generation to generation in the South. Nowdays I just alter the salt content, and some of the fat.

Maybe that's what I'll add to be relevant in this thread.
Cooking at home, that is a vintage thing that has disappeared in my lifetime.
On occasion I will prepare some of the recipes for my father, that my grandmother did, to remind him of how they were. Again, I alter some of the fat and salt, but it tastes close enough.

Last edited:
Somehow I just can't imagine my GrandMother's (great southern cooking) without using real flour...plenty of butter..and 'bacon grease'..to name a few of her cooking recipe staples. Fried potatoes...fried cabbage...cream pies...wilted lettuce...beef and noodles..fried chicken and so much more that is not considered good for so many these days...but was quite good enough for me..and many who flocked to her Sunday dinners. I dearly miss her cookin..!!
HD

Somehow I just can't imagine my GrandMother's (great southern cooking) without using real flour...plenty of butter..and 'bacon grease'..to name a few of her cooking recipe staples. Fried potatoes...fried cabbage...cream pies...wilted lettuce...beef and noodles..fried chicken and so much more that is not considered good for so many these days...but was quite good enough for me..and many who flocked to her Sunday dinners. I dearly miss her cookin..!!
HD

It wouldn't taste even close. lol lol lol In fact, the word taste might be an overstatement. :p

Veronica T

Familiar Face
See, not all modern trends are bad.

One of these t-shirts from earlier this year is counterfeit. Guess which one.

rollingstonesgeishatshirt_zps3d2c6a11.png

rollingstonestokyogeisha_zps5c224c88.jpg

earl

A-List Customer
I see several things that have disappeared in my Lifetime !

10wjiia.png

how many can you spot ?

See the public telephone sign. If that means a phone booth, can't remember the last time I saw 1, though do remember the "Clark Kent" ones from my childhood. If, on the other hand, it means a merchant kind enough to let you use their phone for a local call, those are still around.;) Good thing, too, as I don't own a cell phone. Earl

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
See the public telephone sign. If that means a phone booth, can't remember the last time I saw 1, though do remember the "Clark Kent" ones from my childhood. If, on the other hand, it means a merchant kind enough to let you use their phone for a local call, those are still around.;) Good thing, too, as I don't own a cell phone. Earl

I was referring to the phone booths...(first made of wood) later metal or plastic then just a facade of a phone booth which didn't
help much to cut down the noise.
I lost my wallet recently & after being on the phone with automated-recorded options customer assistance to recover or
report my cards...for most of yesterday....it is refreshing to be "talking " to a real human here on the forum....:blah:

BTW: I found my wallet much later..:eusa_doh:

earl

A-List Customer
I was referring to the phone booths...(first made of wood) later metal or plastic then just a facade of a phone booth which didn't
help much to cut down the noise.
I lost my wallet recently & after being on the phone with automated-recorded options customer assistance to recover or
report my cards...for most of yesterday....it is refreshing to be "talking " to a real human here on the forum....:blah:

BTW: I found my wallet much later..:eusa_doh:
Yeah, talk about things (beginning to),disappear. Being able to talk with a real person is 1 of them-maddening.:mad: Earl

I know of ONE single gas station in the city I live in where someone, usually the owner, will come out and pump your gas, and he still checks the oil if you want him too (cuz he'd be glad to change it in the shop there) but the window washing is definitely a thing of the past.
He IS located right between a pretty good pizza / sub place and a pub, so it's a good place to go for an oil change if you've got some time to kill.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I know of ONE single gas station in the city I live in where someone, usually the owner, will come out and pump your gas, and he still checks the oil if you want him too (cuz he'd be glad to change it in the shop there) but the window washing is definitely a thing of the past.
He IS located right between a pretty good pizza / sub place and a pub, so it's a good place to go for an oil change if you've got some time to kill.

I think I know where it is.
It's over there by that "whatchamacallit" ? :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vetox88