Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage lipstick

artdecodame

One of the Regulars
Irena said:
Are there any vintage shades (other than red) out there? Reds and I just don't agree, I think it is the contrast.

MAC has a nice coral hue, Vegas Volt (second down from the far left):
http://www.maccosmetics.com/templates/products/sp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY15113&PRODUCT_ID=PROD1439

Also, mauves tend to agree with a lot of people, but I never looked very good with any too brown-ish backgrounds (the rose hints are better.) B?©same has both a coral and rose:
http://www.revampvintage.com/images/besame-lipstick-colors-1.jpg

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Yes! Y'know (you know obviously) that in the 20s they sold bottles of "liquid carmine" for this very purpose! (In Colette's book "Mitsou" from the 20s there's a description of the showgirl getting ready for a big date, doing this). I've been looking for an old bottle (to display, not use!) for a while. Of course back then the "carmine" was probably real carmine, made from actual beetles.

I have seen ads for this type of product in 30s-40s magazines as well, though the ones I have seen tout the product as eliminating the harsh contrast between red, red lipstick and pale gums.

Irena-You might try brown-based reds (MAC Viva Glam and Bobbi Brown brick come to mind); those often suit people who are unable to wear true reds (due to their neutral base.) Corals are a good choice, as are rose, pink, and plum shades (raspberry pink was popular in the late 30s.)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
So, this past weekend we had a militaria show. I wore the L'Oreal Endless Lipstick Crimson Joy as a base - applied it lightly, blotted, then powdered over, and then applied Neiman Marcus Red (either Estee Lauder or Lancome, kind of an orangey red) over the top. Same steps again - blot and powder. It lasted amazingly well and didn't feel gummy or too dry. I'd had it on for about 6 hours when I ate lunch, and most of it stayed on even after that.

Using the long-lasting stuff as a base seemed to work much better than using it alone. Thanks for that tip!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
Viola-I am super pale and *very* pink. (I do wear foundation to even out the pinkness and give my skin a more ivory tone--this makes a huge difference and gives your face an overall polished look, which is important in creating a vintage face.)

As I am an extreme red lipstick junkie as well, I think I can help you out :)

I prefer true reds (not too blue or orange) and blue-reds (cool-toned.) Orange reds are usually too warm, but they can work if you adjust the rest of your makeup (I generally avoid them, though.)

Here are my picks for reds that look great on me:

MAC Ruby Woo, Russian Red, and MAC Red. The first two are blue-reds, and the last is a true red.

Besame Red, Red Hot Red, Red Velvet, and Cherry Red are all excellent. My favorite is Besame Red.

MAC Dubonnet is a deeper red, slightly more neutral. It's slightly less shocking then the others, due to its neutral undertones.

Revlon Cherries in the Snow is a pink red that looks great as well (you would think the pink factor would be a problem with pink skin, but it's not.) Certainly Red and Love That Red are also good shades to try.

Lip liner is a must with red lipstick to minimize feathering and smearing. It easy to use--just outline your lips, fill (color) in your lips, and top with lipstick. I suggest MAC Cherry or Brick, or Rimmel Red Diva.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for that Jitterbugdoll... I went shopping for a Mac lipstick after I read one of your posts a few months back. I bought Ruby Woo and I LOVE it!!!
I have pondered over buying Russian Red too, but I agree that it has a slightly different texture.

I am definitely going to try your tip of filling in with a lip liner, as I have often been left with a "halo" of lipstick left after a meal......lol

I was wondering which of the Besame shades to try, I am dark haired with a slightly olive/yellow based complexion??? anything you could recommend trying???

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I'm glad my advice was helpful, AllAboutEve!

My personal favorite Besame lipstick is Besame Red--it's a bright, clear red shade. You might also like the Cherry Red. Luckily, they are selling samples right now, so you can order several shades to test out ;)

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Oooh, samples! can't wait to try some of the shades you mentioned .....................I'm off shopping........ many thanks:)

AllaboutEve said:
I am definitely going to try your tip of filling in with a lip liner, as I have often been left with a "halo" of lipstick left after a meal......lol

Just an update on the lip liner fill and powdering after that I mentioed in an earlier post. Hubby and I went out to dinner last night for our anniversary and I was wearing Revlon's Cherries in the Snow. I filled completely as Jitterbugdoll sugested and then powdered after blotting and botted again. After a full dinner of apitizers, salad and a main course I had no lipstick loss at all. I thought that was pretty good for not using a "long-last" lipstick. :eusa_clap

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
here's an article I found on red lipstick:
Why is it that red lipstick never seems to go out of style? Red is a universal classic & in for this season still, according to the fashion magazines. But how to wear it?
The secret lies in the rest of your face. The paler the skin, the bigger the pop. And you’ll want to go light on the eyes and the blush, otherwise you’ll risk looking like a clown. Here’s how to do it: Skip the eyeliner and go only for mascara (black for brunettes, brown for blondes & redheads), dust your face with powder and your cheeks with a soft blush. Always line your lips before applying color.

Make sure you pick the correct color for your skin type. If your complexion is pink, you'll look better in plum shades, while girls with yellow tones are flattered by warmer reds that have a brown base, according to celebrity makeup artist Jemma Kidd in the December 2005 issue of Harper's Bazaar.

Great shades of red: Arouse from the Prescriptives Modernista line.Also try Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Wine With Everything & Certainly Red.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
The only thing I don't agree with is the oft-touted rule of playing up only one feature--eyes or lips--at a time. You can wear read lipstick and define your eyes with shadow, liner, and mascara (and don't forget your brows) and not look like a clown ;) If I only apply mascara, my light-colored eyes nearly disappear!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I was kind of wondering the same thing...since my eyes seem to be my best feature...maybe go a little lighter on the eyeliner then? I've found doing brows is what really pulls everything together.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
As I am a pale blonde, I avoid black eyeliner and mascara, and instead line with a deep brown (or grey) liner and use a dark brown mascara. I also use eye shadow--usually a champagne color across the lid and a deeper neutral brown in the crease, though sometimes I'll use a soft green or plum color (both from Besame) to bring out my green eyes. If you have blue eyes, wearing warm, peachy tones will subtly bring out the color; brown eyes look great with soft plum shades as well.

And yes--defining your brows makes a huge difference, especially when creating an authentic period face!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
I agree with you Jitterbugdoll, if I don't do my eyebrows and lashes I look quite out of balance.
I find that the only time I can get away with pure black mascara is when I use Ruby Woo, and lots of Chanel translucent powder......very dramatic....
I use a very neutral shade of brown on my lids (its actually the same powder colour that I use on my eye brows!)
I have also found that using a very fine watercolour paintbrush dipped in water and then onto this eye colour makes a lovely soft eyeliner.....three jobs in one.;)

jitterbugdoll said:
The only thing I don't agree with is the oft-touted rule of playing up only one feature--eyes or lips--at a time. You can wear read lipstick and define your eyes with shadow, liner, and mascara (and don't forget your brows) and not look like a clown ;) If I only apply mascara, my light-colored eyes nearly disappear!

Definitly agreeing with this also. I have lessened my use of liner for a vintage look to only my upper lid and not under my eye, as this seems to be the way it was traditionally worn. I use black mascara and my eyes would look nakid if I didn't use any liner. lol

I do have the problem of too much pink in my skin and it never seemes like an even tone. I am currently using Max Factor Pancake Natural No 1. I love it but it tends to be sheer on me. I was thinking of getting the pan stick to use sort of like a cover stick to even my tone under it.

Jitterbugdoll, I recall you mentioning you have that problem too and even it out with your foundation. What kind do you use?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Pink or red on face: this stuff I absolutely love! the product is called 'mellow yellow' by Ben Nye. You apply this first with a cosmetic sponge on the areas of your face that you would like to even out then cover entire face with foundation.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I actually swear by Cinema Secrets makeup (www.cinemasecrets.com)--it's another stage line that has a wide variety of colors and wonderful coverage. I am extremly pale though, and cannot use Ben Nye's Mellow Yellow, or any of the color corrective shades (usually, they suggest you use green concealor to tone down red in the skin; yellow is suggested for blue tones like undereye circles.) However, the Cinema Secrets has excellent coverage--I stipple it on with a damp sponge and the pink is evened out perfectly (the color I use currently is slightly yellow-based, but it's more subtle.) Then, because I now have a nice even canvas, I can apply blush. You'd never know that I have very pink skin after my makeup is on!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
jitterbugdoll said:
And yes--defining your brows makes a huge difference, especially when creating an authentic period face!

I feel like the "kid" of the board, but what does "defining" the eyebrow imply? Is that plucking or darkening or pencilling them in or all fall under the "definition" headline? Mine are kind of dark/thick anyway so I just make sure they're not too heavy. Is that period?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
sounds like you don't need to do much at all then viola..It does help though having a brow stencil to help shape the brows.
Corrective coloring: what actually works even better on blue tones is more of an orangish shade..this works slick...(another MK tip ;) ) the generous man that he is, got me this duo: undercover:2 by Laura mercier. there's two shades here in this compact, a yellow toned and an orange tone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe