Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
... I would suggest just replacing the gas tank. They're not all that expensive and they're known to rust out. It's not a terribly hard project, either.
That's what I'll do. I had to replace the gas tank on my '65 Ford about 25 or so years ago. I put a stainless steal tank on it and won't ever have to do the job again. They cost more than double, but, like the Ford, I plan on keeping the '61 at least 30 or 40 more years.

That'd be my theory, too. If it's gonna be a keeper, might as well do it once, do it right.

That's what I'll do. I had to replace the gas tank on my '65 Ford about 25 or so years ago. I put a stainless steal tank on it and won't ever have to do the job again. They cost more than double, but, like the Ford, I plan on keeping the '61 at least 30 or 40 more years.

Big Man

Working on my '61 Chevy Bel Air got me to thinking about my '65 Ford Custom 500. I've been driving it since 1983 (was my "primary vehicle" until 2002). Other than a new paint job, there's really nothing the car needs except new kick panels, the "Custom 500" emblem that goes on the rear quarter panel (the one on the left is there, but the one on the right fell off years ago), and the trunk emblem. I've searched the internet, but have found little or nothing specifically for the Custom 500. I did find one listing for a trunk emblem, but they wanted $350 for the thing. Ouch!

I've been able to find almost every part I need for the '61 Chevy (even those things specific to a '61 Bel Air), but the '65 Ford Custom 500 is another story. Do any of you know of a good place to look for Custom 500 specific items? What about forums/message boards for classic full-size Fords? There is a good one for Chevy's and also for my '48 Plymouth, but I haven't found a good one for the Ford. Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks.

I am glad you are going along well with the 61. Can't wait to see the final result.
Replacing the gas tank is a good idea not only because of corrosion but just general junk in the tank from all the years. I forget if they still were using the "toothpaste tube" filter in the tank at that time. If they did them remember to replace that as well while you are there.

Talbot

One Too Many
Might not be a bad idea to change out the fuel line while you are doing the tank. It's not difficult and will give you a clean fuel system to the carb.

Carl Miller

One of the Regulars
Working on my '61 Chevy Bel Air got me to thinking about my '65 Ford Custom 500. I've been driving it since 1983 (was my "primary vehicle" until 2002). Other than a new paint job, there's really nothing the car needs except new kick panels, the "Custom 500" emblem that goes on the rear quarter panel (the one on the left is there, but the one on the right fell off years ago), and the trunk emblem. I've searched the internet, but have found little or nothing specifically for the Custom 500. I did find one listing for a trunk emblem, but they wanted $350 for the thing. Ouch!

I've been able to find almost every part I need for the '61 Chevy (even those things specific to a '61 Bel Air), but the '65 Ford Custom 500 is another story. Do any of you know of a good place to look for Custom 500 specific items? What about forums/message boards for classic full-size Fords? There is a good one for Chevy's and also for my '48 Plymouth, but I haven't found a good one for the Ford. Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks.

got a picture of the fender emblem you are looking for?

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Hi Big Man,

Have you tried the AACA forums?

Carl Miller,

Where di you get your avatar-I need that! As a current crew chief I know how the throttle jockies THINK they are the end all be all of the military:D

Mike

Carl Miller

One of the Regulars
Hi Big Man,

Have you tried the AACA forums?

Carl Miller,

Where di you get your avatar-I need that! As a current crew chief I know how the throttle jockies THINK they are the end all be all of the military:D

Mike

My younger sister found that for me. I am her racing crew chief and "bombers" are a division of racing at our local track. She also knows im a major military history buff.

Here is her current ride

48dd1ff1.jpg

Big Man

got a picture of the fender emblem you are looking for?

Here's a picture of the rear fender emblem I need. The one I have is broken (the "CUS" of the CUSTOM is broken) but can be fixed when the car is painted. I keep the broken part in the glove box along with the trunk emblem that fell off (and I was lucky enough to find) a number of years ago. The other side fender emblem is missing all but the "500" part. If I could find another fender emblem, I'd have everything I need to get the '65 Ford back in "looking new" shape.

DSC06866.jpg

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Posted these before... My girl... 1956 Ford Thunderbird drop top. 312 "Y" Block V8. I've had her for over 25 years or so. Originally "Sunset Coral" now "Goldenglow Yellow".

Worf

Thunderbird2.jpg

Thunderbird1.jpg

Worf

I'll Lock Up
It was nice being able to score and wear '56 plates. Did get pulled over a few times though. Nothing like having to explain to law enforcement why I'm running 55 year old plates!

58FURY

Familiar Face
Here's a picture of the rear fender emblem I need. The one I have is broken (the "CUS" of the CUSTOM is broken) but can be fixed when the car is painted. I keep the broken part in the glove box along with the trunk emblem that fell off (and I was lucky enough to find) a number of years ago. The other side fender emblem is missing all but the "500" part. If I could find another fender emblem, I'd have everything I need to get the '65 Ford back in "looking new" shape.

DSC06866.jpg

Please drop my mate John Fowlie a line:

http://www.bigmauto.com/

Everyone in the vintage Chrysler scene knows John and what a good guy he is.

If he can't help you he might know someone who can.

Tell him Lee said hello.

Big Man

I decided to take the '48 Plymouth out for a drive today. Left the house, stopped by the gas station and filled her up, and off on the back roads for a nice ride around the lake. Then, it happened. The car started sputtering and the more I tried to give it gas, the worst it hot till it just quit. Cranked right back up, but give it gas and it died. Cranked it again, idled nice and smooth, but put her in gear and try to take off - sputter and die.

After about the fourth or fifth time, I gave up. Fortunately, I was on a straight part of the road (most of the route I was taking was curves, so being in a straight part was really lucky) so I pushed her to the side and called for a tow.

From all indications, there is a problem with the carburetor. Should be a relatively easy fix for someone who knows what they are doing (which, isn't me). While I would rather have enjoyed a nice (uneventful) ride, even a "bad" day driving an old car is better than a "good" day in a modern one. Yeah, I keep telling myself that ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe