Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

Rathdown

Practically Family
The wheel cylinders, brake lines, etc. all checked out fine. Add to that a good service job, and the car is ready to hit the road.
Brake lines last about 10 years, and virtually all car manufacturers recommend changing them at this interval. Since starting the car is optional, but stopping the car is mandatory, I'd highly recommend that you replace the rubber brake lines before you drive the car.

Why they don't make brake lines stainless, I'll never figure out. I replace more brake lines than Carter's got liver pills.

For sales reasons. If you did not have to replace brake lines the producer's factories and sales would be about a 10th of what they are now.

Also it could be that the forming / fabrication might be very expensive. The type of molds and tooling both materials and design are more expensive as the metal hardness goes up.

Justin B

One Too Many
Also, the part of brake lines that is rubber has to be flexable. That said, you CAN get braided stainless brake lines and never have to replace them again...I've done this on every car I own. It also stiffens the pedal feeling up (the hose doesn't expand under pressure).

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Brake lines will last indefinitely if they don't get rusty. Inspect carefully especially where they disappear into the frame or through a clip.

Normal life is 20 years or longer, most cars don't outlive their brake lines (the steel ones I mean). Flex lines have a shorter life but you can tell if they are wearing out. If the surface is cracked time to replace.

There are special cupro nickel or copper alloy brake lines for corrosive environments. Not really necessary when the coated steel ones last 20 years or longer. How long do you plan to keep the car?

I'm just surprised with the laws about seat belts, air bags, headrests, etc, etc, they haven't made it law that they have to not rust. I just had one blow out on my truck while I was driving and almost crashed. Seems like a big safety hazard.

Also, the part of brake lines that is rubber has to be flexable. That said, you CAN get braided stainless brake lines and never have to replace them again...I've done this on every car I own. It also stiffens the pedal feeling up (the hose doesn't expand under pressure).

I did braided stainless on my Caprice, as I won't be selling it, ever.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
A friend came by with a camera so we messed around with taking a few pictures. This is one of me with the Mach 1. I figured since you shared yours I would do the same. :D I threw on an ascot, double brested jacket, sunglasses and a straw hat to make it a little more eccentric. :p

Jamespowers, I thought you might appreciate this period photo of one of my dad's Mach Is. I thought this was his '71, but it appears to be wearing a '69 Michigan plate. He owned two or three of the bigger style Mustang, so I guess I'm just not sure.

Mustang2.jpg

I have to say, the ascot in the photo you posted makes me think of "GTO" from Two Lane Blacktop.

-Dave

Jamespowers, I thought you might appreciate this period photo of one of my dad's Mach Is. I thought this was his '71, but it appears to be wearing a '69 Michigan plate. He owned two or three of the bigger style Mustang, so I guess I'm just not sure.

Mustang2.jpg

I have to say, the ascot in the photo you posted makes me think of "GTO" from Two Lane Blacktop.

-Dave

No, you are right. That is a 71 Mach 1. The 69 was completely different. :D

Brake lines will last indefinitely if they don't get rusty. Inspect carefully especially where they disappear into the frame or through a clip.

Normal life is 20 years or longer, most cars don't outlive their brake lines (the steel ones I mean). Flex lines have a shorter life but you can tell if they are wearing out. If the surface is cracked time to replace.

There are special cupro nickel or copper alloy brake lines for corrosive environments. Not really necessary when the coated steel ones last 20 years or longer. How long do you plan to keep the car?

Brake fluid can attract moisture- the water can build up in the fluid and it goes acidic. i had to replace the wheel cylinder pistons in my 77 Toyota Corolla they were literally eaten up.

kyboots

Practically Family

Mustang2.jpg

-Dave
It would been easier to not have heard the word "Dad" in looking at this Mustang but I drove a red '71 just like this. It's a '71 not '69. Drove it to Florida once. Never survived the back pain! The back seat was smaller than my suitcase. I went from a 1968 GTX ( worth about 50k now), if only I had it in good condition!) to the Mustang. Boy! I wished I had never sold the GTX!!! Picked up the GTX in a clone in 1992 when I found a perfect '69 Roadrunner. OMG what a car.---John

Last edited:

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
My grandparents had a Charger about that time - at his behest. He actually had spec'd them out a 440/4-speed model, and then when they got to the dealer to pick it up, my grandmother saw a 318/automatic model on the lot painted a gold color. She said "Oh, I hope it's that beautiful gold one!", and my grandfather went in and bought that one instead.

Or was that their Challenger? *Sigh* I didn't think I would forget this stuff, and now Dad isn't around to ask. :(

-Dave

Rathdown

Practically Family
er... not quite. Brake lines degrade on the inside before they perish on the outside. As they degrade the inside diameter becomes smaller, thus making it harder for the brake fluid to return to the master cylinder. This causes lower fluid levels in the master cylinder, and a tendency for for one or more of the brakes to drag. In a worst case scenario this combination of low fluid and dragging brake(s) can result in brake failure; it can also result in a brake locking up, with a severe negative effect on handling/controlability. Braided stainless steel brake lines (such as those manufactured by AeroQuip and others) protect the flexible brake lines from external damage, such as might happen off-road or when racing. They are, however, still subject to the same internal problems as ordinary flexible brake lines, and as such, on passenger cars, should be replaced every ten years.

kyboots

Practically Family
My grandparents had a Charger about that time - at his behest. He actually had spec'd them out a 440/4-speed model, and then when they got to the dealer to pick it up, my grandmother saw a 318/automatic model on the lot painted a gold color. She said "Oh, I hope it's that beautiful gold one!", and my grandfather went in and bought that one instead.

Or was that their Challenger? *Sigh* I didn't think I would forget this stuff, and now Dad isn't around to ask. :(

-Dave
That 440/4 speed was a special order. 90% of those cars were automatics. Very sought after today, but even more back when economy was good.-- John

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Update on my '61 Chevy Bel Air: We got it running good. It took some work getting the lights and turn signals back working, but they are all OK now. The wiper motor wouldn't work, so that's being worked on right now. The only other thing may be the gas tank. I'm seriously thinking about replacing the old one while I'm doing all the other work. It may be easier to do it now than later. Once I get all that out of the way, it's off to have it painted, then the interior done.

I'm so happy to hear that this is all going well for you! My dad and I have both been talking about this car. Such a great back story and all the better reason to bring her back to her former glory.

I would suggest just replacing the gas tank. They're not all that expensive and they're known to rust out. It's not a terribly hard project, either.

Update on my '61 Chevy Bel Air: We got it running good. It took some work getting the lights and turn signals back working, but they are all OK now. The wiper motor wouldn't work, so that's being worked on right now. The only other thing may be the gas tank. I'm seriously thinking about replacing the old one while I'm doing all the other work. It may be easier to do it now than later. Once I get all that out of the way, it's off to have it painted, then the interior done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe