Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Video Roy Rogers Showing how to Block Hat with Dusty Filming

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Is this the first time the SAME VIDEO has been posted three times in the SAME THREAD? Anyhow, I had totally forgotten it. Just the whole tone of his voice gives me goose bumps. Happy trails, indeed.

John Galt

Vendor
You Tube Video of Roy Rogers bashing a Cowboy Hat

I have used the shower, but usually use a spray bottle because it gives me more control over how damp I get the felt, and I find that it is most moldable when it is not too wet. I use steam also. The heat causes the fur fibers to curl and makes their microscopic barbs interlock. I believe this helps set a "memorable" crease better than just using water alone, and also makes the hat "forget" the old crease better.

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

ccorsair

One of the Regulars
Keep seeing people with hats they must have bought in great shape and then turn around beat them up to look like the one Depp where with the holes in it..
One guy look at one of my hats i had on and said i know to give a great distressed look.. I gave him a stare with my dark sunglasses on that must have scared the C!!@p out of him as he just turn and walked away.. fast..
Depp had nice one but who some who want to buy great hat to distress is beyond me.

I like the video of Rogers as it show he did know his hats even if it seem a bit ruff.
Buster Keaton made his pork pie hats from Stetson and had his wife learn to make them as well and do the ribbon and all. I tried it and it works i used cheap wool felt hat but it work nicely.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I'm more into hats 'with character' than perfect dress hats so I can appreciate Depp's choice in titfers. He is a great hat lover & is reputed to approach anyone he sees in the street, including down & outs, if he takes a fancy to their hat & then make them an offer they can't refuse, (it's great to have money :rolleyes:)
Whilst he was married to Vanessa Paradis, he had several rooms in his properties just full of hats & she on many occassions told him to get rid of 'em............you can just imagine it, " It's me or the hats" well sorry dear he made his choice.
Got his priorities right I'd say.:D

tommyK

One Too Many
I'm more into hats 'with character' than perfect dress hats so I can appreciate Depp's choice in titfers. He is a great hat lover & is reputed to approach anyone he sees in the street, including down & outs, if he takes a fancy to their hat & then make them an offer they can't refuse, (it's great to have money :rolleyes:)
Whilst he was married to Vanessa Paradis, he had several rooms in his properties just full of hats & she on many occassions told him to get rid of 'em............you can just imagine it, " It's me or the hats" well sorry dear he made his choice.
Got his priorities right I'd say.:D

I've heard this before but the majority of pics of him in hats on a google search show mostly the same three hats. If he has rooms of them You'd think we'd never see the same hat twice.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I've heard this before but the majority of pics of him in hats on a google search show mostly the same three hats. If he has rooms of them You'd think we'd never see the same hat twice.

I think he is more a collector than an actual wearer, besides it's doubtful most of his hats are indeed wearable given their source;size wise & the actual state of some of 'em...................................he only seems to wear fedoras for official events anyway when he knows he is going to be photographed. The rest of the time he'll be wearing some sort of woolen hat.
He had a cloth cap period too but I don't know if he still wears them.

Last edited:

ccorsair

One of the Regulars
I did search out to see if the video was posted so didn't mean to double post.. It can happen .. Still a great video of some as iconic as Roy Rogers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeLSA