Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson! Vanson! Vanson!

Thoughts on the Merc….its my fav Vanson yet! Austere in its simplicity, there’s no flash to this jacket whatsoever. That’s why I wanted it. No buckles, no zip arrangements. Just the definition of simplicity.
What it lacks in adornment it makes up in pattern. This is the reworked pattern. The older merc/comets were insanely short, 22” back lengths is something I simply can’t do. This jacket is a blunt cut 25”. The collar has also been made larger and I think this is for the better. I asked if Butterscoth requested these tweaks and they said no. These are inline off the rack. The hardwarmers are leather lined. Two d pockets at your gut!
My only gripe, if I have one is the jacket has no interior placket. The liner runs right up to the zipper. They’ve always done the comet and merc this way.
The best part is it seems Vanson has addressed their issues with comp weight. Gone are the gnarly, plainly visible pores and follicles. This is the same hide my derby came with in 2010. Smells the same, looks the same and is every bit as stiff!
IMG_0805.jpeg
IMG_0806.jpeg

IMG_0803.jpeg
IMG_0861.jpeg

IMG_0872.jpeg

This jacket wasn’t on my radar at all but I am delighted to have picked it up.

Khilij

One of the Regulars
Just here to say I love my Chopper. Still my favorite jacket in my small collection by far. It's from the "bad" years of comp weight but it serves me just fine.

MickeyPunch

Familiar Face
I’m not sure why there aren’t more simple center zips like that Mercury. Particularly every maker seems to be compelled to add a useless chest pocket, with some dangling silver chain or even worse, a leather pull.

Simple is good. Actually I’d make it even simpler and get rid of the placket.

Just here to say I love my Chopper. Still my favorite jacket in my small collection by far. It's from the "bad" years of comp weight but it serves me just fine.
I never found it that bad honestly. Some batches, like my Oxford had massive follicles, which were unsightly but not unbearable imo.
I’m not sure why there aren’t more simple center zips like that Mercury. Particularly every maker seems to be compelled to add a useless chest pocket, with some dangling silver chain or even worse, a leather pull.

Simple is good. Actually I’d make it even simpler and get rid of the placket.
I agree. Honestly I would opt for this Vanson over a Sheene. The wind flap could absolutely go, it’s smaller than those on the 9D and Enfield but I've always found them somewhat pointless.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
!00% an A+ pickup there Tony on this Mercury.

As I just sold mine off, (back length was not specified from the ebay seller I picked up mine from) I agree with you that a simple, great-fitting jacket with just enough "edge" (such as zippered sleeves) is a great addition to any wardrobe. I'm certainly considering something like this in the future, since it looks like they have gotten the length nailed down now.

As I just sold mine off, (back length was not specified from the ebay seller I picked up mine from) I agree with you that a simple, great-fitting jacket with just enough "edge" (such as zippered sleeves) is a great addition to any wardrobe. I'm certainly considering something like this in the future, since it looks like they have gotten the length nailed down now.
The collar and length are huge improvements in the reworked pattern. I really like that this jacket doesn’t scream m/c style or old tyme guy half belt. Just a basic, no nonsense jacket that lets the fit and pattern do all the talking. Vanson has never let me down. The jackets have always just fit to a the nuts and I’ve never felt anything but happy wearing them.

Wait till Thurston Bros gets a hold of it and changes it to 28” back length…….
LOL...True story though. I was actually thinking they'd be better off stocking some models like the maverick, 9D, E, C2, etc in comp weight and ditch the sofa hide looking bainbridge. Or use the hides Vanson has available for the maverick and comet which look much better than the maple syrupy bainbridge. That Bainbridge...it didn't take with me at all. I grew to dislike it really quickly.

Viking752

Practically Family
I received the C2 recently and have been getting to know this model. This is my second Vanson with the first being the Badass Model J, that was a 10 pounder all day with the early 2000’s comp weight leather. This C2 is a good weight, heavy but not Model J heavy I suspect comp weight as well. Still need to phone Vanson to have them run the numbers to determine the details. This jacket is easy to put on but unfortunately it’s still Africa hot here in Central Florida so indoors only And no real time wearing. I snapped a few photos in an effort to try and capture the leather, I really appreciate the little details like the Vanson logo on the sleeve zipper pulls. Enough rambling.
IMG_4695.jpeg
IMG_4692.jpeg
IMG_4687.jpeg
IMG_4690.jpeg

morrison2951

Practically Family

The vintage Vanson Merc and Comet are both short in the back for sure, but if you can tolerate it, great jackets.

Interesting that they've now reworked the Merc back length and collar for that matter.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
I received the C2 recently and have been getting to know this model. This is my second Vanson with the first being the Badass Model J, that was a 10 pounder all day with the early 2000’s comp weight leather. This C2 is a good weight, heavy but not Model J heavy I suspect comp weight as well. Still need to phone Vanson to have them run the numbers to determine the details. This jacket is easy to put on but unfortunately it’s still Africa hot here in Central Florida so indoors only And no real time wearing. I snapped a few photos in an effort to try and capture the leather, I really appreciate the little details like the Vanson logo on the sleeve zipper pulls. Enough rambling.
View attachment 640466 View attachment 640467 View attachment 640468 View attachment 640469
Looks great! Enjoy!

4AM-5AM, coffee, spray bottle hour of power. Been wearing at least a few hours each day to try and develop some character. Some jackets are precision tools, Vanson is a blunt force instrument. Collar and sleeves are coming along but the two leather lined pockets make the body of the jacket formidable.
IMG_1086.jpeg
IMG_1087.jpeg
IMG_1062.jpeg
IMG_1070.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1078.jpeg
    IMG_1078.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10

Viking752

Practically Family
4AM-5AM, coffee, spray bottle hour of power. Been wearing at least a few hours each day to try and develop some character. Some jackets are precision tools, Vanson is a blunt force instrument. Collar and sleeves are coming along but the two leather lined pockets make the body of the jacket formidable.
View attachment 640570 View attachment 640571 View attachment 640573 View attachment 640574

It’s the timeless, legendary clash of wills—a battle destined to echo through the ages. Who will triumph? No one can say for certain… but one thing is undeniable. Songs will be sung, not just of this epic struggle, but of the jacket that defined it. A legend in itself.

View attachment 640466 View attachment 640467 View attachment 640468 View attachment 640469

This leather is beautiful.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 640570 View attachment 640571 View attachment 640573 View attachment 640574
This is the very batch of leather my Enfield is made of. After months of wear it looks fantastic with a grain very similar to old broken in jackets on ebay. That‘s a thing many people for some reason forget with Vanson. They expect new jacket to look the same as broken in ones but we all know and preach it all the time for Aeros - your jacket never looks as bad as on the first day and all these beautiful vintage Vansons were lifeless black monsters in their first months of wear as well and only developed into what they are today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1