Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vanson fit check

You are right. This jacket is not too short. It is perfect for a rider, for whom it was designed. It is missing a couple of inches for casual wear.

That's... No. At that length, if it indeed was designed to be worn on a bike, it would absolutely have to be a part of a motorcycle suit, the sort that has a zipper that connects it to a pair of trousers.

There isn't a motorcycle on which a Comet will come close to covering your back, regardless what kinda pants you're wearing (sans overalls).

As cool as it is, Comet just isn't a proper motorcycle jacket. Even Vanson's blurb dances around it.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
That's... No. At that length, if it indeed was designed to be worn on a bike, it would absolutely have to be a part of a motorcycle suit, the sort that has a zipper that connects it to a pair of trousers.

There isn't a motorcycle on which a Comet will come close to covering your back, regardless what kinda pants you're wearing (sans overalls).

As cool as it is, Comet just isn't a proper motorcycle jacket. Even Vanson's blurb dances around it.
That line of thinking would also exclude all the super-short biker jackets from the 50's. I have one that is 20.5" long; I am 5'9", and my crack is showing if I bend over, lol. I guess the bikers then didn't mind.

Madhouse27

One of the Regulars
That line of thinking would also exclude all the super-short biker jackets from the 50's. I have one that is 20.5" long; I am 5'9", and my crack is showing if I bend over, lol. I guess the bikers then didn't mind.
Yeah, I think we’re getting into a PPE/PPG conversation about motorcycle jackets. Personally I like a short jacket or vest and a pair of shades but to each their own.

javajakamama

Familiar Face
i usually wear 512 in jeans. 33/34 i would easily do 32/32-34 or 33/32

but it's preference in length because i mainly wear boots.

waist is different story. my 33's get bagged out easily. i can get 2 days of casual wear or 1 day of hard wear without them hanging. but the 33's allow me easier movement everywhere that i like.

this pic is a 19oz rigid denim in 31. it's supposed to fit like a 33 but these naked and famous jeans are tight. i don't have a butt so i struggle with finding trim jeans all around. i think these miss the mark for me. but they seem to be a higher rise than the 512.

i have no idea what jeans to buy that will help my flat ass

Attachments

• van8.jpg
    van8.jpg
    860.3 KB · Views: 87

Trouser Bark

Familiar Face
I just bought a Comet in 46L and haven't even seen it yet. I hope I didn't botch that too badly.

You mentioned Majorca and untucked shirts. I was just there riding bicycles and have no idea what that means. Mind filling in that blank?

javajakamama

Familiar Face
I just bought a Comet in 46L and haven't even seen it yet. I hope I didn't botch that too badly.

You mentioned Majorca and untucked shirts. I was just there riding bicycles and have no idea what that means. Mind filling in that blank?

loosely based on too short of a jacket that looks like a matador.

that and if i wear a long t shirt or shirt without tucking it in, it makes the jacket look shorter than it is.

Last edited:

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
but if you're a fit good looking dude many people will always hate on you.
I'm sorry for you that you had this experience. But I am relatively sure that this does not happen in this forum. People here are nice and benevolent and not aggressive. If someone posts a fit check, then of course there will be opinions that reflect personal taste. and there's no accounting for taste.
If you like the jacket, great and have fun wearing it.
If you do have doubts, then it's like @Monitor wrote. In doubt? No doubt.

Last edited:

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
My opinion: the jacket looks too short on you. And I’m not one to usually say that as I like jackets to fit shorter than most. But I want them to cover the belt.

We are the same height, although it looks like we have different proportions. I also own a Comet. The back length on that is 22.5 inches.

IMG_8160.jpeg
IMG_8163.jpeg

javajakamama

Familiar Face
My opinion: the jacket looks too short on you. And I’m not one to usually say that as I like jackets to fit shorter than most. But I want them to cover the belt.

We are the same height, although it looks like we have different proportions. I also own a Comet. The back length on that is 22.5 inches.

View attachment 631527 View attachment 631528

what size is that and how tall are you?

i don't need that much more to be 100% happy. 1 to 1.5 inches in length. (start stretching)

so many variables to a perfect fit not to mention personal preferences. it's hard to have them all align.

i undershot with this a little. i can return but i'm still leaning keep.

Last edited:

javajakamama

Familiar Face
channeling my inner "can you dig it" in pic 3.

the optics in these pics even makes the unzipped sleeves look long but they're not. it's perfect @ 23.25 (hate when it hits the hand even slightly)

the more pics i take the more i'm surprised it looks as good as it does with it being 20.5. it seems to look better and better.

it's a relief to not have any front fold bulges anywhere as well. it's really close to being spot on imo.

(at least for me as i want shorter..but not too short) that second pic the jacket is covering the belt.

i think the majority of people wear ALL their jackets too long. sitting just at the top gives you no restrictions. (i need a quicker reaction time)

i also think people and airlines have it wrong as well. i like being last on and sitting it the back. not only is it less expensive i don't want to be on the plane for longer before it takes off. only downside it the time getting off.

these levi's 512 33w are wacky. 99% cotton 1% elastane.

i get a waist stretch to 38 for some reason and have embraced it.

if you know the reference you will lol.
van15.png
van16a.png
van17a.png

Last edited:

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
what size is that and how tall are you?

i don't need that much more to be 100% happy. 1 to 1.5 inches in length. (start stretching)

so many variables to a perfect fit not to mention personal preferences. it's hard to have them all align.

i undershot with this a little. i can return but i'm still leaning keep.

I’m 182 cm, weigh 85 kg and the jacket is a size 40.

For sure that personal preference is the most important variable. The sleeve length looks spot on imo.

I doubt you will be able to stretch it a full 1.5 inches. I would return it and look for something a little bit longer.

Of course this comet is short. It’s designed that way. As Ivan pointed out, it’s essentially the top half of a racing suit. Some jackets simply look best short. I feel type 1,2,3’s need to be short. Cross zips are better on the shorter side too. CR is a style that does not need to be. The proportions don’t become ruined by additional length because the design elements are typically minimal.

The thing with short jackets is that you either accept and embrace the length, or you don’t. No stretching or nipple height jeans will fix that. In fact it will likely make you less comfortable and more self conscious (if that’s not your typical trouser rise).

I have embraced the shorty. In fact I love short jackets now, and I REALLY used to hate them. I disagree about the tucked in shirt. I don’t find it makes either of these short jackets look any shorter. If I tucked in my shirt you’d see my cheap ass belt and to me that’s precisely what makes a shorter jacket look too short. The pale suede is actually about an inch shorter in front than the chocolate. Both are 23” in back. The chocolate jacket has a 1.5” front drop and the sand is all but blunt cut. Maybe .5”.
IMG_8901.jpeg
IMG_8909.jpeg

All this to say that if the length bothers you now it always will. Fortunately there’s millions of longer CR’s to choose from and if you’re hooked on the comet, Thurston bros offers the comet plus 3” which I believe in reality only adds about 1.5- 2” to the body length. They pop up on eBay nowadays w and again but not nearly as much as the standard comet.

javajakamama

Familiar Face
Of course this comet is short. It’s designed that way. As Ivan pointed out, it’s essentially the top half of a racing suit. Some jackets simply look best short. I feel type 1,2,3’s need to be short. Cross zips are better on the shorter side too. CR is a style that does not need to be. The proportions don’t become ruined by additional length because the design elements are typically minimal.

The thing with short jackets is that you either accept and embrace the length, or you don’t. No stretching or nipple height jeans will fix that. In fact it will likely make you less comfortable and more self conscious (if that’s not your typical trouser rise).

I have embraced the shorty. In fact I love short jackets now, and I REALLY used to hate them. I disagree about the tucked in shirt. I don’t find it makes either of these short jackets look any shorter. If I tucked in my shirt you’d see my cheap ass belt and to me that’s precisely what makes a shorter jacket look too short. The pale suede is actually about an inch shorter in front than the chocolate. Both are 23” in back. The chocolate jacket has a 1.5” front drop and the sand is all but blunt cut. Maybe .5”.
View attachment 631633 View attachment 631634
All this to say that if the length bothers you now it always will. Fortunately there’s millions of longer CR’s to choose from and if you’re hooked on the comet, Thurston bros offers the comet plus 3” which I believe in reality only adds about 1.5- 2” to the body length. They pop up on eBay nowadays w and again but not nearly as much as the standard comet.

i feels ya. there's a benefit of jackets being a lil' shorter as well.

i think many people have things wrong.

having the jacket hit the top of the buckle minimizes restrictions reducing hazards to nil. it's so much better as a safety net. better articulation, no hang ups/snags, fold/bulges, etc, etc....this applies to both riding and casual wear.

i sweat like an animal as well so i like the air flow.

if the jacket looked like either of these on it would be a cut and dry no go.

no.png
Vintage-Vanson-Comet-Leather-Cafe-Racer-Motorcycle-Jacket-Black-Size-38-Small-Cropped-Etsy.png

Last edited:

Johnny Deadlifts

A-List Customer
channeling my inner "can you dig it" in pic 3.

the optics in these pics even makes the unzipped sleeves look long but they're not. it's perfect @ 23.25 (hate when it hits the hand even slightly)

the more pics i take the more i'm surprised it looks as good as it does with it being 20.5. it seems to look better and better.

it's a relief to not have any front fold bulges anywhere as well. it's really close to being spot on imo.

(at least for me as i want shorter..but not too short) that second pic the jacket is covering the belt.

i think the majority of people wear ALL their jackets too long. sitting just at the top gives you no restrictions. (i need a quicker reaction time)

i also think people and airlines have it wrong as well. i like being last on and sitting it the back. not only is it less expensive i don't want to be on the plane for longer before it takes off. only downside it the time getting off.

these levi's 512 33w are wacky. 99% cotton 1% elastane.

i get a waist stretch to 38 for some reason and have embraced it.

if you know the reference you will lol. View attachment 631590 View attachment 631591 View attachment 631592
You look different in this set of photos, did you take a sip from the Fountain of Youth?:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1