Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular music opinions

MissMittens

One Too Many
I know but it disturbs me that you didn't say anything about disco. :p;)
Perhaps you need some memory refreshment:
[video=youtube;-opY4qcidFk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-opY4qcidFk[/video]
I am not responsible for ear bleeding or heart attacks. I warned you. :eeek::p

I think Rue is probably too young to REALLY remember disco, but I could be wrong.....pictures do lie ;) The only disco i kind of remember hearing was Donna Summer and Village People. Other than those, I really couldn't name any disco people. I remember seeing (much later) on TV a show on the whole "DISCO SUCKS" movement, but I was a teen when I saw that and had no idea or frame of reference.

MissMittens

One Too Many
Surprised no one mentioned Richard Cheese yet. He takes modern songs and shows just how bad some of them are (or good) by arranging them and singing them like the Standards.

Blackjack

One Too Many
Boy oh boy this is some thread... I think just sticking to the old stuff here. 1.) As much as I enjoy Kay Kyser's movies ,outside of a few select tunes his band leaves me cold. Talented musicians but boring un-swinging arrangments on the whole. 2.) Later Ella, when she thought that scat was more impressive than singing the tune ( although I LOVE young Ella) 3.) Buddy Rich, technically on a whole different planet but couldn't swing a band like Gene Krupa ( nobody could) 4.) Not EVERYTHING the Ellington wrote was great. 5.) Frank Sinatra was the greatest song stylist of the 20th century (with Louis Armstrong in a close second)

martinsantos

Practically Family
From Bix Beiderbecke, you mean?

These personal tragedies can make a good cinebiography - but usually don't help the own musician (by the way, I didn't see Bix's film, just got the LP. I liked it!). In fact, tragedies don't help anybody... Remember the begining of Billie Holliday "self" biography.

I've found some jazz fans that surelly think that someone, to play or sing good jazz need to suffer a lot. Drugs, alcool, etc, must be there in the life. Like some XIXth century writers. If anybody read Baudelaire or De Quincey because they were addicted to some chemicals.

Why, if at the end we will find only the recordings?

"Bixing" a performer by exaggerating and overemphasising the tragedies of their personal life for the sake of magnifiying their accomplishments never does that performer a service.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
2.) Later Ella, when she thought that scat was more impressive than singing the tune ( although I LOVE young Ella)

I much prefer Ella's older more seasoned voice to the bubble gum sound she had first starting out. The ironies of scat are that they ushered in generations of over-singers that now dominate the unlistenable modern R&B genera. The other irony being Ella was the hallmark of the sound, but she was also the only vocalist who could do it well.

I've found some jazz fans that surelly think that someone, to play or sing good jazz need to suffer a lot. Drugs, alcool, etc, must be there in the life. Like some XIXth century writers. If anybody read Baudelaire or De Quincey because they were addicted to some chemicals.

I think that's artists in general. Most great ones have had some sort of brain imbalance cause by either drugs or mental illness. I think that is where most creatives draw their inspiration from, however cliché it may be.

LD

rue

I think that's artists in general. Most great ones have had some sort of brain imbalance cause by either drugs or mental illness. I think that is where most creatives draw their inspiration from, however cliché it may be.

LD

I agree and I also think a great many artists because of their mental issues are self medicating, as a great majority of addicts are. Comedians are a great example of this. It seems that most have had some horribleness in their lives and they use it to be funny, but also use drugs and alcohol to make themselves feel better. Can you imagine Belushi sober? Or for that matter any of the cast during the best years of SNL. Since they sobered up, that show just isn't the same.

Sorry for the off topic.

martinsantos

Practically Family

LD

I believe that the hallmark of genius of that someone still can produce great art ever with drugs, too much alchool, etc. I don't think Anita O'Day was (is? Is she alive? I don't know) great because her life. She is great when she starts singing.

The problem is when we hear someone putting down some artists because they DIDN'T get any trouble. From Bernard Shaw (and supreme offense, he had so much sucess with his comedies!) to Ella Fitzgerald.

I'm remembering some texts by Theodor Adorno. OK, he is recognized as a great philosopher, etc, etc, etc - but when he starts writing about music... His "great artist" must be someone that the society doesn't acept. Ansd do not acept his art. And all popular music is just junk to him.

Wow, orange jump suits, just like Tavares! Seriously, when we'd go to a disco club or school dance, and that song came on, we had to get on the floor! Say what you want, but disco brought a lot of different people together (hey, in the video did you see the older guy in the fedora?), and it didn't have to rely on foul lyrics about gang warfare, dusting off cops, and treating women like objects.

You can dance to that?! I didn't see the guy in the fedora because I couldn't watch it all the way through.:rolleyes: Talk about repetitive. The poor guy was probably trapped thinking it was a Dean Martin review. :eusa_doh:
You were probably grooving to YMCA too eh? lol lol lol
Ok, it might be better than the other genre you mentioned but the lesser of two evils is still evil. :p

I think Rue is probably too young to REALLY remember disco, but I could be wrong.....pictures do lie ;) The only disco i kind of remember hearing was Donna Summer and Village People. Other than those, I really couldn't name any disco people. I remember seeing (much later) on TV a show on the whole "DISCO SUCKS" movement, but I was a teen when I saw that and had no idea or frame of reference.

The two groups you mention were at the Really Suck end of Disco. Then you had Saturday Night Fever.:eek::eusa_doh::rolleyes:

I'm not going to say that I love disco or that I would buy any of the music, but it reminds me of my young mom and her friends practicing how to dance to it while my friends and I watched. Good childhood memories override any taste issues for me in this case ;)

Now who is being sentimental?;):p
I am glad my parents were from a different generation than yours. I couldn't stand having Disco roller skating around the house on patent leather skates. :rolleyes::eek::plol

conrad5157

One of the Regulars
Well since a few of you said you like Billy Joel is it now popular or unpopuplar when I say I can't stand him?:rage:

To each his own of course...

Last edited:
I went roller skating on a date with my girlfriend a while back.........3 colored lights and disco music. Bleaughhhh!!!!!!!

I remember those days. It stunk then and I see it still does now. Did they play the Bay City Rollers too? Cover your ears.
[video=youtube;dBn2ux5vRHk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBn2ux5vRHk[/video]
Sounds like they are beating on garbage cans and the floor!
What was with all the spelling songs in Disco anyway? Were they made for the barely literate? Ay yiyi!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe