Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Art: Rank & File Art Work From the Front Lines

Story

I'll Lock Up
Trench art from world wars at Michener

http://www.mcall.com/entertainment/all-trenchart.6785345mar15,0,7148186.story

When they weren't required to make replacement parts for guns, Belgian and British blacksmiths in World War I liked to make rings for distant lovers. Working outside trenches, out of the range of bullets and bombs, they melted aluminum from mess kits, molded the metal and cooled the crude jewelry in nearby lakes.

Making sweetheart rings was pure therapy. It relieved boredom between battles, the fear of mustard gas, the pain of separation from girlfriends and wives. Sent from front lines to home lines, rings became wearable love letters. If their senders died, they became wearable memorials.

Sweetheart rings were part of a beehive industry of recycling the used materials of war into soul souvenirs. Practiced between World Wars I and II, the byzantine, sometimes bizarre business of trench art united convalescing soldiers and prisoners, civilian artisans and widow tourists. It's surveyed in ''From Swords to Plowshares,'' a traveling show that opened Saturday at the James A. Michener Art Museum in Doylestown. There are more than 300 objects made with military metal, everything from a lamp with a helmet shade to a cathedral of bullets.

James A. Michener Art Museum
138 S. Pine St.
Doylestown, PA 18901

http://www.michenermuseum.org/

draws

Practically Family
I am curious if this thread is to be dedicated to Michener only or is it applicable to any trench art? I would love to post some of the WW1 items in my collection but won't if this thread is limited. I will start another thread or post elsewhere if appropriate. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Hopalong

One of the Regulars
Trench Art

Here's my WW II Trench Art Lamp made by an 8th Air Force 351st BG veteran during the WW II and it's made out of a WW II smoke bomb. Mike
16-WWIISMOKEBOMBLAMP.jpg
[/IMG]

Hopalong

One of the Regulars
Thanks I think it's pretty unique too. I collected WW II Aviation over 16 years ago for 17 years because my father was in the Army Air Force but for the last 6 years I've been liquidating my collection little by little to private collectors and now I'm collecting the 1950's TV Cowboy memorabilia. Mike

Django

New in Town
That rules. My Dad has a P-38 made from shell casings. I don't have a pic though. Next time I go back home to visit, I'll take some.