Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toppers Unite

batankyu

New in Town
Hello, I purchased a vintage gibus (or chapeau claque) in mint conditionat the garage sale of the Carrot Festival in Créances on Sat 10 Aug 2024 for 60 euros. The only inscription inside is a logo with text "MODE DE PARIS". It came with a plain carboard hat box with the inscription of the hat shop "GAUQUELIN" in Coutances.

I had doubts about the box being the orignal box matching the hat as the hat does not mentions the shop and the hat box does not mention the maker, but I found online a black silk top hat "MODE DE PARIS" that was sold with the same cardboard box, so it might be the original box after all.

Top view.
RghvfbL.jpeg

Front View.
9uM4UGH.jpeg

Rear view.
j0OTBrL.jpeg

Left side view.
uHUvZcm.jpeg

Right side view.
NIEGQi3.jpeg

Bottom view.
TEwOhv9.jpeg

Bottom view, logo with inscription "MODE DE PARIS".
lCy94yu.jpeg

Bottom rear view with bow knot.
qBxaVi3.jpeg

Bottom front view.
K3sBpqI.jpeg

Top view, collapsed.
YRENI4R.jpeg

Front view, collapsed.
h7LGtpd.jpeg

Rear view, collapsed.
9xeOFeq.jpeg

Left side view, collapsed.
eJ1o73U.jpeg

Right side view, collapsed.
Shd8N7n.jpeg

Bottom view, collapsed.
0f4TWRU.jpeg

On new owner.
cU8L9Al.jpeg

CqvbWKl.jpeg

j4TcEhv.jpeg

LtxoBMq.jpeg

Nh2f84F.jpeg

Plain cardboard box follows in next post...

batankyu

New in Town
I'm posting the plain cardboard hat box of my gibus "MODE DE PARIS" in a separate post, due to the limit of 20 pictures per post.

I found online the pictures a black silk top hat "MODE DE PARIS" sold with a similar box at the link below
https://auctionet.com/en/2816106-top-hat-mode-de-paris-1900s
so I assume the box is the original one.

New owner with hat and box (strings hidden by the lid here) .
mlyRDs5.jpeg

Hat box, top view with lid.
GvFzKBW.jpeg

Hat box, side view with tag of the hat shop "GRANDE CHAPELLERIE GAUQUELIN", "24, rue Tancrède COUTANCES".
Hx44HQY.jpeg

Hat box, side view with the seam of cardboard.
TD8SRUj.jpeg

Hat box, front or rear view (?).
RmZrNX7.jpeg

Hat box, rear or front view (?).
HNyP8C2.jpeg

Hat box, bottom view, with inscription "2".
No clue what this number means.
yvVmHJY.jpeg

Hat box, top view without lid.
I assume the extra string inside are there to secure the hat if it is in collapsed state.
QkCS82Q.jpeg

Hat box lid, top view.
GvKqsbT.jpeg

Hat box lid, bottom view.
Ow6qPHn.jpeg

Last edited:

batankyu

New in Town
On a side note, I got this very damaged "Henry Heath" gibus for free the same day I purchased the brown plush top hat at the garage sale in Gavray, Normandie, France on Thu 8 Aug 2024 as the seller wanted to throw it to thrash in collapsed state. It's only when I got back home that I discovered the mechanism still worked and saw the hat in its non-collapsed state. It's not wearable except for comedy effect, but I'm still curious for a date range. It also motivated me to purchase the "Mode de Paris" gibus in much better condition the next week.

Top view.
tpQGJst.jpeg

Front view.
3EuFjpj.jpeg

Left side view.
dt5IVIO.jpeg

Rear view.
9nk9R7j.jpeg

Right side view.
szIlbfk.jpeg

Bottom view.
LdjwGkU.jpeg

Inner lining, with inscription "HENRY HEATH LIMITED", "105 TO 109, OXFORD ST LONDON, W.", "ESTABLISHED IN THE REIGN OF KING GEORGE IV 1822", "BY SPECIAL APPOINTMENT TO HIS MAJESTY THE KING".
1SKei53.jpeg

On new owner.
BJ64JEn.jpeg

eAlMMUK.jpeg

0OoajFd.jpeg

gHgLVHP.jpeg

PVPvCXt.jpeg

On new owner, backward for comedy effect, with most damages visible.
ZHPBUcx.jpeg

QNTnWNR.jpeg

Ywu7pjT.jpeg

FnS7VUa.jpeg

5Jh4k8G.jpeg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
On a side note, I got this very damaged "Henry Heath" gibus for free the same day I purchased the brown plush top hat at the garage sale in Gavray, Normandie, France on Thu 8 Aug 2024 as the seller wanted to throw it to thrash in collapsed state. It's only when I got back home that I discovered the mechanism still worked and saw the hat in its non-collapsed state. It's not wearable except for comedy effect, but I'm still curious for a date range. It also motivated me to purchase the "Mode de Paris" gibus in much better condition the next week.

3EuFjpj.jpeg

LdjwGkU.jpeg

Inner lining, with inscription "HENRY HEATH LIMITED", "105 TO 109, OXFORD ST LONDON, W.", "ESTABLISHED IN THE REIGN OF KING GEORGE IV 1822", "BY SPECIAL APPOINTMENT TO HIS MAJESTY THE KING".
1SKei53.jpeg
Well done for saving this Henry Heath Gibus from its trash can fate.

Despite its distressed look, it was well worth rescuing.

Top view.
tpQGJst.jpeg

Front view.
3EuFjpj.jpeg

Left side view.
dt5IVIO.jpeg

Rear view.
9nk9R7j.jpeg

Right side view.
szIlbfk.jpeg

Bottom view.
LdjwGkU.jpeg

1SKei53.jpeg

On new owner.
BJ64JEn.jpeg

eAlMMUK.jpeg

0OoajFd.jpeg

gHgLVHP.jpeg

PVPvCXt.jpeg

On new owner, backward for comedy effect, with most damages visible.
ZHPBUcx.jpeg

QNTnWNR.jpeg

Ywu7pjT.jpeg

FnS7VUa.jpeg

5Jh4k8G.jpeg
A very cool find and I think it's not beyond redemption. Someone skilled enough could probably get that grosgrain silk attached again to the top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1