Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toppers Unite

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, the bulbs are indicative of a heating necessity to which end I don't know.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Charlie Huang said:
This is a good one.

I'll be using your tutorial to shine it up, Charlie. Looking for a velvet shine pad but don't want to pay the $50 (including shipping) from Locke & Co. Any suggestions? I've been using a soft cloth in the meantime.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Garrett said:
I'll be using your tutorial to shine it up, Charlie. Looking for a velvet shine pad but don't want to pay the $50 (including shipping) from Locke & Co. Any suggestions? I've been using a soft cloth in the meantime.

You can make one yourself. Use either rayon or pure silk velvet (cotton velveteen does not have the same nap that would align the silk plush strands correctly). Sew a rectangle inside out with one edge open, turn it out then stuff with cottonwool then seal with hand stitching.

In true Blue Peter fashion, here's one I made earlier (using silk velvet):

32099_396547007062_688147062_4789704_5635807_n.jpg

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Garrett said:
Any news on the Tallow polishing?

Well, I have to prepare the tallow myself instead of it coming in a nice jar which has put me off doing it. I can't be bothered to put suet in the oven and wait several hours, etc. Maybe when I have more time.

Elgin1924

New in Town
Fur Topper Question

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, so hello to everyone out there...

I am the proud owner of a what I believe to be melusine (?) fur topper, made by Thomas Townend and Co. of Lime Street, London. I have had this hat for a while, brushing it and such, yet would like to see if it would really shine up.

So my question to you is, could I go about polishing this topper in the same way that a silk topper is polished? I am not looking for a mirror shine, just something a bit nicer than the dull sheen it features currently.

Thanks for your time, and apologies if this has been asked before,

Tommy

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Elgin1924 said:
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, so hello to everyone out there...

I am the proud owner of a what I believe to be melusine (?) fur topper, made by Thomas Townend and Co. of Lime Street, London. I have had this hat for a while, brushing it and such, yet would like to see if it would really shine up.

So my question to you is, could I go about polishing this topper in the same way that a silk topper is polished? I am not looking for a mirror shine, just something a bit nicer than the dull sheen it features currently.

Thanks for your time, and apologies if this has been asked before,

Tommy

Are you sure it is not silk? Post a photo for us to appraise it.

Pera.T

One of the Regulars
You don't need 15 posts, just an online photo album account! You cant upload photos through the forum unfortunately...

Did you find the topper locally Tommy? I don't have much luck finding vintage hats in New Zealand (or anything vintage actually) :(

Elgin1924

New in Town
Well, I first saw the topper at an estate auction along with another topper and some Fire Service caps or similar, but was outbid by five dollars!

But, to my surprise, the hats both turned up on TradeMe about a week later, at $75, which I wasn't too keen on paying. But then the seller dropped it to $45, and how can one resist such a price?

It's only a size 6 3/4, possible less, so it's quite a squeeze to put on!

EDIT: Just gave the topper a quick "brush" with an old velvet scarf lying around the place. I can already see the change!

Elgin1924

New in Town
Pictures:

Okay, I polished the topper today with water, it's got a lovely sheen now, (though the nap isn't quite in line, I'm doubt the authenticity of the piece of velvet I used.)

Here are some pictures (let's hope they show up!):

Front of Hat (note slight creasing):

IMG_3126.jpg

Side-on view:

IMG_3127.jpg

Close-up of crown wear:

IMG_3129.jpg

Thomas Townend and Co. Logo:
IMG_3132.jpg

(Possible Replacement) Sweatband added by Rhodes Hatters, New Zealand:

IMG_3134.jpg

Apologies for the terrible photos, cheap cameras! :rolleyes:

Regards,

Tommy

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
It's silk. 100%.

Really needs some refrub work done (the wear on the crown edge needs patching up followed by the brim which needs to be reshaped plus a reblock to remove the dents so more or less the full works).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jrichards1007