Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toppers Unite

Elgin1924

New in Town
Charlie Huang said:
It's silk. 100%.

Really needs some refrub work done (the wear on the crown edge needs patching up followed by the brim which needs to be reshaped plus a reblock to remove the dents so more or less the full works).

Cool! Glad to hear it's silk...

I don't think it's worth repairing to that extent, considering I only paid $45NZ for it.

Thanks heaps for your time!

Tommy

Elgin1924

New in Town
dhermann1 said:
It's all in the wrist action. Ya don't learn that overnight, I suspect.

You're probably right.

Just a question, in the video I only saw them ironing the (shellac?) onto the hat block, and then the silk over this, whereas on my topper (where the silk has worn off the crown) I can see lots of precise little stitches. I would imagine the video omitted certain details to fit it into a one minute space, but was the shellac top commonly stitched to the body of the hat?

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Elgin1924 said:
You're probably right.

Just a question, in the video I only saw them ironing the (shellac?) onto the hat block, and then the silk over this, whereas on my topper (where the silk has worn off the crown) I can see lots of precise little stitches. I would imagine the video omitted certain details to fit it into a one minute space, but was the shellac top commonly stitched to the body of the hat?

Shellac top? Do you mean the shellac calico (goss) of the shell? As the video shows, the side crown edge is ironed round the top edge so that when the top piece of goss is ironed on top it would stick to the side crown as well as the excess Patey cuts off to form a lip which would I assume be iron onto the side as well. As for the silk plush, the top piece is sewn onto the side piece and slipped over the shell with the diagonal raw seam carefully eased into place so the nap naturally conceals it.

They also missed out the curling of the brim and how they bind it which is of interest to me as well.

Elgin1924

New in Town
Charlie Huang said:
Shellac top? Do you mean the shellac calico (goss) of the shell? As the video shows, the side crown edge is ironed round the top edge so that when the top piece of goss is ironed on top it would stick to the side crown as well as the excess Patey cuts off to form a lip which would I assume be iron onto the side as well. As for the silk plush, the top piece is sewn onto the side piece and slipped over the shell with the diagonal raw seam carefully eased into place so the nap naturally conceals it.

They also missed out the curling of the brim and how they bind it which is of interest to me as well.

Thank you heaps, that makes a lot more sense now! :)

buler

I'll Lock Up
Recently contacted a museum in Madison, Wi about there collection. Here are a couple of pictures the curator of the clothing/textiles sent me. She said they have 37 top hats in their collection. I'm going to schedule a visit with her to view all of their hats.

B

The top hat Francis McGovern wore at his Wisconsin gubernatorial inauguration in 1911 with box and brush.

francis_mcgovern_gubernatorial_inau.jpg

A straw topper.

strawtopper_madison_museum.jpg

An article the curator wrote on the museum's oldest top hat:
TopHat

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
Nifty. I assume you didn't do any bicycle jousting or cucumber sandwich discus throwing in it? ;)

No, in case I ruin my finery! But maybe I should have as photos of me at the event are extremely scarce as I did not participate in any event!

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Okay, I'm going to attempt the tallow polishing method hopefully tomorrow. I have to render the suet first which would take ages. Why can't they come in little jars and save me the trouble?

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Charlie Huang said:
Okay, I'm going to attempt the tallow polishing method hopefully tomorrow. I have to render the suet first which would take ages. Why can't they come in little jars and save me the trouble?

Anxiously awaiting these results. Please post before, after & during photos :D

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Rendered Suet should be available there. Its a standard for making the pastry of traditional meat pies. Dogs may however become attracted to your hat and follow you about.
If not in the stores you may be able to ask a shop that makes its own products for a small quantity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philheaton