Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To bi-swing back or not to bi-swing back?

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
After owning two leather jackets with a plain back, I think my next one will have a bi-swing back - if possible. A plain back looks good if it's cut just right, but then it is a bit restrictive. If it isn't restrictive, then it looks too baggy. The pleats seem to make things more ergonomic.

majormajor

One Too Many
After owning two leather jackets with a plain back, I think my next one will have a bi-swing back - if possible. A plain back looks good if it's cut just right, but then it is a bit restrictive. If it isn't restrictive, then it looks too baggy. The pleats seem to make things more ergonomic.

An alternative might be the reversed back pleats as seen on some of the Aero 20's Halfbelt prototypes:D

nevadapd

Familiar Face
What do folks think of the so-called action or bi-swing back on certain of Aero's models, eg the Teamster? I have reservations about them from the style point of view -- I prefer simplicity and clean lines -- but am beginning to wonder whether you need them with a longer jacket, given the weight and stiffness of the horsehide.

Thoughts and pics welcome.

SJ

Because the original question was about a bi-swing back in, for example, Aero's Teamster, I thought I'd post pics of my Teamster, even though some time has elapsed since the original question was posed.

image ru

picture hosting

Brando11

A-List Customer
Finally- a guy built like me! Nevada, would you mind telling me your jacket size? I normally take a 50 and I like that Teamster on you. Might be my next jacket. (I'm guessing from the picture that it's FQHH, right?)
Thx-
-Brando

nevadapd

Familiar Face
It is a size 50, but I have a somewhat longer torso than normal, so Aero added an inch to the length of the jacket and an inch to the sleeve length as well. If you get one in black however, be prepared for other people's reactions (although maybe it's just me). I was in the supermarket and passed a young woman pushing a grocery cart with two young children in tow. I smiled and nodded as we passed each other. Right after we passed, I heard the mother say to her kids, "Don't worry, he's not gonna getcha." Apparently I look like a scary dude in this jacket.

Brando11

A-List Customer
Ha! I knew you had my build. 50 long is just my size.

I have a black FQHH Halfbelt Deluxe I may just put up for sale and order a Teamster.

BTW, scary dude is my favorite style.

-Brando

Teamster is named as such for good reason. I love them, but not sure I look bad-ass enough to carry it off. A little intimidation is fun! Especially if you have daughters or granddaughters that are dating. Never underestimate the value of that! :)

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
As has been mentioned here, the various Navy jackets (M-422A, 55J14, G-1) all have "action" backs. I've always heard that the Navy specified this feature in the original M-422 because they assumed that the average aircrewman would need to swim in his jacket from time to time during his career. :eeek:

AF

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Love the bi-swing on my m422a...loads of movement, very comfortable...can't see any minus's. :cool:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
One minus... if your back is too big... like mine... the back NEVER recedes. Just sticks out. Don't now what to do. There's no elastic in mine so mebbe they're not what we're discussing right now. Still learning I suppose.

Worf

thor

Call Me a Cab
The Navy M-422/G-1 jackets have the bi-swing back as well as underarm gussets, providing the most comfortable and non-restrictive fit. Some jackets have only a bi-swing back panel without gussets and fit/comfort is more hit and miss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1