Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie clip / tie bar

Maguire

Practically Family
I've got the collar bar (gold), a few tie clips and a gold tie chain (double chain), and a tie tack (with a cuban flag, got it from my grandfather). None of them are particularly remarkable but they definitely add to the formality or aesthetic. I don't wear the tie tack though (although i sometimes use it as a sort of lapel pin).. i don't like the idea of piercing a tie with anything.

JEEP

Practically Family
Maguire said:
I've got the collar bar (gold), a few tie clips and a gold tie chain (double chain), and a tie tack (with a cuban flag, got it from my grandfather). None of them are particularly remarkable but they definitely add to the formality or aesthetic. I don't wear the tie tack though (although i sometimes use it as a sort of lapel pin).. i don't like the idea of piercing a tie with anything.

Sounds like a neat collection. Could you in any way be persuaded to post pictures?

/Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
I recieved a couple of packages today:

Slipsenl27.jpg

30s or 40s - gilded brass. No markings.

One of the packages contained a big lot of cufflinks and tiebars I bought from a fellow collector who was doing a cleanup of her collection:

Manchetknapper35.jpg

30s - sterling sliver. Marked "Sterling Siam". Must be pre 1939, the year Siam changed name to Thailand. A truly beautiful set.

Slipsenl19.jpg

Age unknown, probably 70s or 80s - silvered. Marked "Hickok USA".

Slipsenl20a.jpg
Slipsenl20b.jpg

30s or 40s - golddouble. Box marked "Barrows".

Manchetknapper34.jpg

40s or 50s - golddouble and glass. Box marked "Tivoli".

Slipsenl21.jpg

Age unknown - golddouble. Marked "S".

Slipsenl26.jpg

20s - silvered w. painted glass. Marked "Bournes Ishand Ltd." and "Pat. No. 511869". Interesting piece.

Slipsenl25.jpg

Modern - cromed. Marked "Leavens Co. Attleborq Mass."

JEEP

Practically Family
Continued:

Slipsenl23.jpg

Age unknown - golddouble. Marked "Swank".

Slipsenl24.jpg

Age unknown - golddouble. Marked "Forstner ½ 12 Karat" (quite hard to read).

Slipsenl22.jpg

Age unknown - golddouble. Marked "Swank". I finally got my hand on one of these - they are so awesome :)

The lot also included a collarbar:

Kravenl01.jpg

Age unknown - golddouble. Marked "Swank Pat. No. 75818 Made in Italy".

/Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
Not really. I just really like collecting stuff lol

However, I will probably "clean up" the collection at some point and put some of the stuff up for sale.

/Jakob

Speedster

Practically Family
JEEP said:
Manchetknapper35.jpg

30s - sterling sliver. Marked "Sterling Siam". Must be pre 1939, the year Siam changed name to Thailand. A truly beautiful set.

Nice ones Jakob. When you decide to clean up the collection i know someone (me :D ) who would be intereseted in these. My great grandmother was from Siam. My great grandfather lived in Bangkok for many years in the beginning of the last century. They came to Denmark in the 30'ies (Vejle).

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DSCF3114.jpg

A few items I like from my small collection.

Top left is a simple favorite. Below that: I don't mean to make the numismatists scream, but I epoxyed a 1928 Mercury dime to an indifferent (but probably vintage) tie clip. Sorry. Next is a black inset thing. I think it is supposed to be Hannibal (the Carthaginian general who invaded Italy overland with elephants across the !^&$ing Alps in the Second Punic War, 218-201 BC). Or it might just be some doofus. Below that, a most sinister tie clip with a garden shear motif that I wore for a horror movie viewing party at home recently ... I showed my guests Hostel while I wore that tie clip, most grisly and apropos if I do say. Below that a thing with a chain that I have not yet figured out. I got it with FedoraGent at a Berkeley vintage shop that has since, sadly, closed. On the top right is a wonderful one I really love and if anyone can provenance it, I'll be very happy. Below that is a SWANK model a friend gave me, only works for 1930s ties: 1940s are too wide and anything else is too thick. Below that, two nice little ones of whose decades I am uncertain. Finally the one with concentric circles: I mainly like it because it hides a stain on one of my favorite 1930s ties and goes with it well.

Dr Doran

JEEP said:
These are wery nice Doran :)

The second one from the top to the right looks quite interesting.

/Jakob

Thank you, Jakob. That is the SWANK model. I like to wear it with a black dress shirt and a black tie. It really stands out.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Doran - the gizmo with the chain looks like a belt slide with a short chain for a watch. I have a couple that belonged to my grandfather. Unfortunately they will only fit a narrow, thin belt. The short chain is just the right length to keep a watch in your watch pocket.

Dr Doran

Warbaby said:
Doran - the gizmo with the chain looks like a belt slide with a short chain for a watch. I have a couple that belonged to my grandfather. Unfortunately they will only fit a narrow, thin belt. The short chain is just the right length to keep a watch in your watch pocket.

That would be a real short chain. FedoraGent thought it was a tie clip and the chain fits onto a button of your shirt. But that didn't work too well, so I suppose I'll try your idea.

Feraud

Bartender
Doran said:
That would be a real short chain. FedoraGent thought it was a tie clip and the chain fits onto a button of your shirt. But that didn't work too well, so I suppose I'll try your idea.
Doran, That is definitly a watch chain. The slide goes on the belt and the watch in the little watch pockets(located along the waistband) some pants have.
Here are mine.
DSC03753.jpg

DSC03754.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth