Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie clip / tie bar

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Daniel said:
Here's what I wore today. It wraps around the front of the tie, which makes it look as if it's going through the tie. The ends are connected behind it, and there's a clip to attach the back to the shirt placket:

2420456831_6b13491e0f.jpg

Ha ha! I love it. I saw one like that in an antique store for $2 but I was too dumb to figure out what the visual effect would be. It's brilliant.

univibe88

One Too Many
I recently lost my tie bar:eek:

I took it off in a hotel room. When I got dressed in the morning, I didn't put a tie on again. I think I put it in my pocket and then sent the shirt off to the cleaners with it in the pocket.

My collar stays often come back from the cleaners in a little plastic bag, but it seems they lost my tie bar. It wasn't vintage or irreplacable. But I did just get it for Christmas.

JEEP

Practically Family
I had been eying this one at a local antique store for a while, today I just couldn't resist buying it anymore :)

Slipsenl10.jpg

I am unsure about the date (any suggestions?) - silver, the marking is barely visible, I thinks is "SSNTT". My second tie-shaped tie-bar.

/Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
Got this one in the mail today:

Slipsenl11.jpg

20s or 30s - sterling silver. Stamped "Sterling 9255" and an unredable engraving, probably the name of the maker. Rather unusual and quite cool I think.

/Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
Jerekson: I ocationally see these at flea-markets - though rarely in such good shape - do you want me to look for one for you?

/Jakob

splatt

One of the Regulars
I signed up with an addiction to hats and cufflinks...but thanks to you people i'm scrambling around stores looking for golden era suits, ties, hatpins and now tie clips...:eusa_doh:

:D

Tone Loki

New in Town
Any love out there for the stick pin? I have a pearl one for best, and an authentic 19th century scrimshaw one that my lady bought me from a whaling museum!

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Tone Loki said:
Any love out there for the stick pin? I have a pearl one for best, and an authentic 19th century scrimshaw one that my lady bought me from a whaling museum!

I like stick pins! I have a modern gold "fox" stickpin in my jewelry collection; may bid soon on a vintage example.

JEEP

Practically Family
Flea-market season is starting here in Denmark. Yesterday I found these two at one:

Slipsenl12.jpg

30s or 40s - silvered. Stamped "HJ"[/i, a tower and some kind of monogram; "HCO" or "HOC". I lost a bid for one just like it a while ago, the price went over the roof - this one I got for next to nothing :D

Slipsenl13.jpg

Quite impossible to date due to it's simplicity, but probably quite modern - silvered alluminium. Stamped "ALL" and "225"

/Jakob

Warbaby

One Too Many
A friend in Amsterdam sent me this lot of sterling tie clips and other tie accessories.

tiebarB6.jpg

I really like the Deco lines of this one.

tiebarB5.jpg

This one is cast from a real key

tiebarB7.jpg

Simple.​

Ok, now here are three that I'm not sure how to use:

tiebarB4.jpg

This has an alligator clip on the back, but it's too short to actually grip the shirt unless you're wearing a really skinny tie. It is meant to be just a decorative accent?

tiebarB8.jpg

I think this is some sort of collar thingy - one of the balls unscrewes so you can put it through something.

tiebarB2.jpg

tiebarB3.jpg

This thing has alligator clips on the back at each end - is it also a collar thingy and how does one wear it? Would one actually want to wear it?​

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
^ The bar with the balls at the ends is for use with an eyelet-collar shirt. I've got a number of such bars and such shirts (I have the shirts made).

JEEP

Practically Family
I got a small lot of tiebars in the mail the other day, most were quite uninteresting - but there were a few nice among:

Slipsenl14.jpg

30s or 40s - silvered. No markings. I wonder if I will be able to find some matching vikling skip cufflinks?

Slipsenl15.jpg

Age unknown, probably modern - unknown material. Stamped "SOPHUS Pat. 511869"

Slipsenl16.jpg

Modern - golddouble. No markings

Slipsenl17.jpg

30s or 40s - golddouble w. glass insert. No markings

Slipsenl18.jpg

40s or 50s - looks to be cromed. No markings. This one is really quite big - as an occational pipe smoker I find this one really cool.

/Jakob

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Warbaby said:
tiebarB2.jpg

tiebarB3.jpg

This thing has alligator clips on the back at each end - is it also a collar thingy and how does one wear it? Would one actually want to wear it?[/CENTER]
Yes! That's gorgeous, I'd love to wear it. Let me know if it needs a good home.

Jerekson

One Too Many
JEEP said:
Jerekson: I ocationally see these at flea-markets - though rarely in such good shape - do you want me to look for one for you?

/Jakob

That sounds great, thanks for the offer! PM if anything comes up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth