Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This generation of kids...

Warbaby

One Too Many
I'm another who finds it easier and faster to do my drafts and notes by hand. For me, the biggest advantage is being able to add marginal notes, draw circles, underlines, and arrows pointing to somewhere else in the manuscript. I know there are apps that allow you to do that (sort of) on the computer, but it just ain't the same.

I'm another who finds it easier and faster to do my drafts and notes by hand. For me, the biggest advantage is being able to add marginal notes, draw circles, underlines, and arrows pointing to somewhere else in the manuscript. I know there are apps that allow you to do that (sort of) on the computer, but it just ain't the same.

I do the same things. I use numbers to note what to add where. :D

Pompidou

One Too Many
My handwriting is a hard to read blend of cursive and printing. Fortunately for the rest of the world, I almost never use it. I pay bills electronically or automatically whenever possible. I set up my paychecks to direct deposit. Very rarely do I even have to sign my name. In regards to taking notes and whatnot, I've also gone 100% electronic. In any situation where I know ahead of time I'll have to take notes, I've always got my laptop with me. In all other situations, I'm pretty fast on my iPhone's virtual keypad. I wouldn't be surprised if I forgot how to hold a pen in the next hundred years or so.

shazzabanazza

Practically Family
My handwriting is a hard to read blend of cursive and printing. Fortunately for the rest of the world, I almost never use it. I pay bills electronically or automatically whenever possible. I set up my paychecks to direct deposit. Very rarely do I even have to sign my name. In regards to taking notes and whatnot, I've also gone 100% electronic. In any situation where I know ahead of time I'll have to take notes, I've always got my laptop with me. In all other situations, I'm pretty fast on my iPhone's virtual keypad. I wouldn't be surprised if I forgot how to hold a pen in the next hundred years or so.

Its a shame everything has gone electronic, I still like to write letters rather then email and I always write my notes out when Im at Uni, even my assignments are handwritten...

Warbaby

One Too Many
Another one that gets me upset is pry. We will pry go to the show today instead of "We will probably go to the show today."

That's actually not a new word. I've been using it for more than 40 years. I picked it up when I used to do field recording down in the Southern Appalachians. It was also commonly used in the Pogo comics back in the 50s.

shazzabanazza

Practically Family
That's actually not a new word. I've been using it for more than 40 years. I picked it up when I used to do field recording down in the Southern Appalachians. It was also commonly used in the Pogo comics back in the 50s.

Well well, it is true what they say: One learns something new everyday! :)

martinsantos

Practically Family
I do the same, specially in texts for myself... As a left-handed, my caligraphy is terrible, even writing slow with fountain pens. But it's a unique way to put clearly the ideas on paper for developement.

Its a shame everything has gone electronic, I still like to write letters rather then email and I always write my notes out when Im at Uni, even my assignments are handwritten...

This electronic world is strange. I only see young people using electronic calculators even for very simples operations. People forgot how to understand the mathematics, to understand the algorithms. If anybody want to scare a teenager, just show a table of logarithms - and ask to find with it the square root of 353434 in 4 minutes.

martinsantos

Practically Family
Tom, I really never got much trouble about being left-handed. The worst moments were at some exams, with right-handed chairs. I had to sit as a "S" to be able to write, and next days were painful! My exams to become a lawyer was the worst, took almost 5 hours. But nut much than that.

Martin, doesn't being left handed make life a living hell?

This electronic world is strange. I only see young people using electronic calculators even for very simple operations. People forgot how to understand the mathematics, to understand the algorithms. If anybody want to scare a teenager, just show a table of logarithms - and ask to find with it the square root of 353434 in 4 minutes.

It is what we worry about as older adults, the youth become preoccupied with some many things that seem so trite. We worry that they neglect the basics and the important.

How many films and TV shows have the theme of a once advanced civilization has broken down and is populated by people that don't know how to fix the machines?

It is what we worry about as older adults, the youth become preoccupied with some many things that seem so trite. We worry that they neglect the basics and the important.

How many films and TV shows have the theme of a once advanced civilization has broken down and is populated by people that don't know how to fix the machines?

Try watching Idiocracy and see what it might really come to.:eek::eek::eek:

One thing I cant stand with the current generation of kids is how they pronounce th as f for example birthday becomes birfday..oh how I HATE that! I also cant stand how alot of the younger generation are using text language in their written work

The f for th pronunciation is also found in Cockney.

Nowadays texting, unfortunately, is the only form of writing most kids are accustomed to. It's become an entire language on to itself. While I'm familiar with a few texting/chat acronyms like "omg", "rofl", "afk", "bbl", etc, the lexicon has become quite bewildering. I just only recently figured out what "BFF" means.

The List of Chat Acronyms & Text Shorthand

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
What about thank you notes? Are kids not taught to send thank you notes and cards- like birthday cards?

The messages in these are supposed to handwritten, not type written (by ettiquette standards). I'm always a little miffed when I receive a thank you that is computer generated and mass-produced and sent. I think handwriting a short note is faster than sitting at a computer and typing out each one (unless, of course, you are generically spamming everybody with the same message).

What about thank you notes? Are kids not taught to send thank you notes and cards- like birthday cards?

The messages in these are supposed to handwritten, not type written (by ettiquette standards). I'm always a little miffed when I receive a thank you that is computer generated and mass-produced and sent. I think handwriting a short note is faster than sitting at a computer and typing out each one (unless, of course, you are generically spamming everybody with the same message).

Oh geez! The hundreds of those that I have handwritten. :p I couldn't get away with anything less with my parents---that and they didn't have that stuff around when I was handwritting cards and notes.:rolleyes:
Nevertheless, those should be handwritten. It shows and personal aspect to the gratitude.
Thinking about it more, I handwrite messages all day long at the office. You use a computer to give someone a phone message? [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82