Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thin ties...any thoughts?

kools

Practically Family
I have 100s of the narrow ones, too. I find some quite sophisticated....a solid color with one small object (like a cherry) on it. Some have that 1950s 'atomic age' edge to them (a small atom icon or similar). I wore one to my job interview and got the job (I don't think it was because of the tie, though). Oh heck, I like all neckties made before 1965.

In my much younger days when I owned exclusively fat belly warmers I received a skinny solid red '50s tie with a so-called 'atomic age' icon (some kind of planet with an orbiting ring) as a Christmas gift. At the time, this was way too 'modern' for me. Over time, I've loosened up...Although I still go fat most of the time, a skinny tie every month or two is good for a change of pace.

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
The Old Town link is useful - thank you Salv. I shall send it to my mother so she can stop complaining about being able to find ties for my father (he wears them out - not sure how!)

Fletch, I want ALL of yours.

Salv

One Too Many
TOTTIE said:
The Old Town link is useful - thank you Salv. I shall send it to my mother so she can stop complaining about being able to find ties for my father (he wears them out - not sure how!)

Fletch, I want ALL of yours.

You're quite welcome Tottie - it's a lovely shop, and lovely people too, but it's not easy to get to being hidden away in north Norfolk. It doesn't help that they only accept cash or cheques, but that only adds to the between-the-wars charm of the place.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
obvious?

Kinda surprised no one mentioned this one from the `90s
rreservoir_dogs.jpg

Did Tarantino lift this look from a specific movie?

FredDairy

Familiar Face
I know I'm in the minority here with this but, skinny 60s ties, IMO with a skinny lappeled sharkskin jacket, and short tight pants is about as sharp as it gets.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
I've been looking for a scan on the current GQ cover w/ Will Ferrell. He's wearing the black suit white shirt thin tie look.
found this alternative
agq-dec-06-dicaprio.jpg

Also, had a nice chat w/ Senator Jack last nite. We were wonderign why thin ties seem so much more associated w/ teh `60s. Werent there some skinny ites in Guys&Dolls back in `55?
The search begins...

Feraud

Bartender
MrBern said:
Also, had a nice chat w/ Senator Jack last nite. We were wonderign why thin ties seem so much more associated w/ teh `60s. Werent there some skinny ites in Guys&Dolls back in `55?
The search begins...
I believe that is correct.
My association with skinny ties are firmly rooted in the 80s 'cause that is what us hip cats were wearin' then. ;)

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Yup, I loved that look in the `80s too. `60s stuff that came back in the `80s, thin ties, mini skirts ...and startrek. ;)

Heres a film that was a good twist on this image.
from `97, GrossPointeBlank. An assassin goes to his class of `86 high school reunion.

grosse_rev_210x238.jpg

grossepoint114.jpeg

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
MrBern said:
I've been looking for a scan on the current GQ cover w/ Will Ferrell. He's wearing the black suit white shirt thin tie look.
found this alternative
agq-dec-06-dicaprio.jpg

The search begins...

I like the floppiness of his collar- too bad it's Armani and probably costs a fortune.

Feraud

Bartender
Hey MrBern. I am ready for the
"skinny tie night out" you talked about. ;) These range from 2" to 2 7/8".
Picture5973.jpg

From a Lounge member who can step forward and take a bow if he so chooses. :)

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
unfortunately, my arms stick out of the jacket now, and the hat is a size too small.
No more '60's look for me.:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust