Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
They do come and go. The 3rd grade felts would give me pause:

From Trimmings:

“These peachbloom fur felts are factory damaged and we have graded them "C", which means the damage is in the upper part of the crown or middle of the brim. The faults are usually a small hole or graze in the pile. They are still usable but you will need to be "inventive" with how you use it. Some may not be able to be used for regular hat shapes, perhaps just small pill boxes for example. Sizes and colours are variable. For example choc can be a variety of browns, you will receive from the top of the pile.”
OK, that explains it. For all of my 'B' grade felts from them the flaw has been on the outer edge of the brim and easily trimmed off. The slight grazes in the felt can be pounced out in my experience.

Ya gotta then claim that you the "Artiste" created the look and charge a ridiculous amount!!! People pay extra for new jeans with holes after all!!!

And double the price!
So this seems to be the place to tell my embarrassing story. I ordered a jean jacket from Levi's online. It was 70% off a 'vintage' look classic trucker. I just assumed it was 'vintage' style. I received the jacket and to my chagrin discovered it was full of manufactured holes. Some Asian worker had diligently sanded holes in my 'new' jacket. Apparently to this old guy vintage means distressed/used/and full of holes. So I had to talk nice to my wife in order to get her to repair the holes in the Levi jacket that Levi had put in the damned thing!! Oh well, at least I didn't pay extra for the holes.

So I had to talk nice to my wife in order to get her to repair the holes in the Levi jacket that Levi had put in the damned thing!!

I can picture it now ... :p

1678236705098.png

Uneklensane66

New in Town
I took the plunge last night. I went to Home Depot and bought some Zinsser Bullseye clear shellac in the aerosol spray.

In short, I AM COMPLETELY SOLD ON THIS PRODUCT NOW!

BUT

There are some cautions.

I started with my workaday hat: It's a Stetson Hutchins that came from the factory as stiff as cardboard. Over time and many rainstorms, applications of Kahl's hat stiffener, hot sunny days, and just general abuse, it was just stiff enough to hold shape but was covered with white spots. I used to joke that the hat was "made to look like you just rode in off the dusty trail."

ONE pass with the Zinsser restored the hat's stiffness to acceptable and got rid of the Kahl's white spots! Another pass made the hat as stiff as cardboard just like it came from the factory. I am now somewhat suspicious that Stetson actually uses this on their lower priced hats. It sure is interesting that my hat was pretty much restored to its factory feel and look "just like that." I compared the used hat to a near new spare Stetson Hutchins in my closet, and it's amazing how close they are now.

My cautions:

1. The shellac darkens the color somewhat. It doesn't CHANGE the color, but it makes it a noticeably darker shade. I had started out spraying only the brim without removing the hat band. When I removed the hat band it was obvious the brim was a slightly darker shade of the same color. I do not think this was due to the wetness of the product since it dries so quickly. In short, I don't think I would use this on a white hat without testing it on one you can afford to ruin.

2. The spray really brings out the "grain" of the hat. If you are familiar with Stetsons the spray made my wool Hutchins look more grainy like a buffalo felt Austral. I don't mind this since none of my hats are high-end. They are all work hats and the grainy appearance is fine with me.

3. You can reshape the hat somewhat while the product is wet, but I would hesitate to try to shape the hat very much after the product dries for fear of cracking the felt.

4. You have to try your best to spray it evenly. I made a couple of mistakes that left dark spots and for the most part I was able to even out the finish with a hat brush and not affect the new stiffness. The shellac is a lot more forgiving of mistakes than Kahl's hat stiffener, though.

If I were you I would practice on a couple of old hats before applying this to one you really cherish. Having said that, I also would NOT use this product on an expensive dress hat. The results I got with this hat stiffener are just too coarse looking to be appropriate for an expensive "city" hat. It's fine for a work grade cowboy hat.

Long story short: if you wear $300 fedoras out to dinner with the wifey this product will probably yield results too coarse for your expensive high-end hat. If on the other hand you wear a hat for PBR or team roping you will appreciate the quick and definite results of this product.

I will try to come back here and post updates if, for example, the hat turns white in a few weeks, etc., but for now I am absolutely convinced that this product is the way to go for an everyday hat stiffener. NO MORE KAHL'S WHITE SPOTS FOR ME!
Hello to all. I just wanted to add that I TOO just used this same product on a new Dorfman Wool Crushable Outback. I removed the faux lether hatband, taped some small boxes down to act as blocks to position the sides where I wanted them. Kept the teardrop crown as I like the look, and put a slight dip in the brim front. Just applied the first light misting which you can easily see on the hat. I'll follow up tomorrow once this fist misting dries.

Attachments

• 20240620_234202.jpg
    20240620_234202.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 9
Hello to all. I just wanted to add that I TOO just used this same product on a new Dorfman Wool Crushable Outback. I removed the faux lether hatband, taped some small boxes down to act as blocks to position the sides where I wanted them. Kept the teardrop crown as I like the look, and put a slight dip in the brim front. Just applied the first light misting which you can easily see on the hat. I'll follow up tomorrow once this fist misting dries.
Zinser spray shellac has wax in the mix. Not recommended for stiffening hats. But if it is a crap wool hat it likely won't matter.

Uneklensane66

New in Town
Zinser spray shellac has wax in the mix. Not recommended for stiffening hats. But if it is a crap wool hat it likely won't matter.
It actually is. Living in Florida I'll use it for theme park sun, and rain protection. I want stiff and water proof. I just applied 2nd coat this morning. My wife on the other hand will be using a Stetson that I want quality work so I need to find an alternative. Probably shellac chips and alcohol.

shopkin

Familiar Face
Shellac flakes come in waxed and dewaxed. There are also several shades depending on the degree of processing, although most people prefer the extra blonde to minimize changes.

Last edited:

Uneklensane66

New in Town
Shellac flakes come in waxed and dewaxed. There are also several shades depending on the degree of processing, although most people prefer the extra blonde to minimize changes.
I've also seen non waxed Blonde shellac powder. I assume that's chips that have been processed into powder for easier dispersal in the alcohol.

Mighty44

One Too Many
I’m sure this has been mentioned before but Bickmore Kahl Hat Stiffener is a fantastic product. A small spray pump of thinned shellac. It has completely saved a number of hats I had that were too thin and floppy (several Borsalinos), so the brim went wonky every time I put it on my head, or that were just tired old hats that couldn’t really hold a crease. Super easy to use, no mixing and no clean up.

shopkin

Familiar Face
I have trouble with long term storage of the flakes/powder. It turns into a shellac rock and stops working after a few years. Using multiple layers of plastic bag doesn't seem to help. Maybe it's our extra-humid climate. This time I'm trying the little desiccant pillows and a glass jar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth