Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Taste of a City!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ah, Venice! Bellinis are a mix of white peach juice and Prosecco (an Italian white sparkling wine from the Venetto). For many of us who have been there, they are the taste of Venice.

I made some at home last night, and memories of the Grand Canal came flooding back (pun intended ;) ).

"Daisy Buchanan with a Bellini in Venice"

Whether it is Bacala, the famous salted cod of Rome, or Boston's Legal Seafood's clam chowder, there are some tastes that are unique and special to a specific city or region, and in eating them all of the memories of that place suddenly return.

What associations do you have? In my travels, I can think of dozens, but I am more interested in learning yours...

Jenautica

Familiar Face
While it isn't an exotic locale by any means, Omaha is pretty famous for their steaks. I've only lived here for one year, but I will always associate Omaha with the perfect steak.

The definitive "Omaha Steak" would be from Gorat's Steakhouse. This quaint, unassuming little restaurant has had the same decor for probably 50 years or better. I like to think this is because they are more interested in bringing you a damn fine steak, than keeping up with trends. For quality and value you can't beat this place.

If you're ever in town, please stop by! The food is awesome, the prices are great, and you might just end up dining next to Warren Buffet ;)

http://www.goratssteakhouse.com/

farnham54

A-List Customer
Toronto will always be the place that screams 'Street meat" a me--No doubt many big cities have this feeling, but whenever I eat a hot dog from a vendor on the street, I'm reminded of Toronto.

Cheers
Craig

moustache

Practically Family
London/Budapest/Vienna

London for it's delightful ales and bitters along with fish and chips,steak and kidney pie and shephards pie!!

Budapest for it's Pate,cabbage rolls and Bulls blood wine.Add the paprika as well.

Vienna for Wienerschnitzel in a Heuriger tavern,wine,and BEER!!
Munich and Plzen/Prague for the freshest and most delicious beer in the world!

Just a few thoughts.I'm sure i will have more later.

JD

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Jenautica said:
While it isn't an exotic locale by any means, Omaha is pretty famous for their steaks. I've only lived here for one year, but I will always associate Omaha with the perfect steak.

The definitive "Omaha Steak" would be from Gorat's Steakhouse...

If you're ever in town, please stop by! The food is awesome, the prices are great, and you might just end up dining next to Warren Buffet ;)
I am not looking for exotic, this is exactly what I was looking for. And if ever in Omaha, I definitely will seek out this establishment.

Another one that I will always hold dear to my heart is the Philadelphia Cheesteak, that delicious mix of shaved steak grilled with fried onions and mixed with American cheese and stuffed into a slash made into an Amorosa roll! Unbelievable. Personally, I don't care if they come from Pat's, Gino's, Jim's or Gaetano's; they're all amazing, and they all taste like home.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Urbanity

Honolulu for shark steak; Athens for grilled goat meat on stick;
HK for roast chicken; Naples for pizza; Munich for a great breakfast
at the city train station; Madrid for Castillian wine; New York for
a sirloin steak dinner; Clarksville, Tennessee for a fantastic omelet;
New Orleans for por'boy sandwiches; Chicago for the barbecue and Blues.
...and almost forgot London for a quick pint!

B

BAZ

New York city in winter for sweet roasted peanuts!!
The smell is a must for Christmas!!
Other than that, I think the smell of urine will always make me think of the Big Apple

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Buffalo = Chicken wings from the Anchor Bar! The best in the world!

Pittsburgh = Pimenti's (sp?) steak sandwich with fries (the fries are ON the sandwich).

New York = well, EVERYTHING! From the street kebabs at Washington Sq. to the White Castle on Queens Blvd. and everything in between.

Los Angeles = burgers. Surprised? Me too! When I moved here I thought I had fallen into the black hole of cheap culinary delights. But I was wrong. Fat Burger. In n' Out. Hamburger Hamlet. And a wonderful invention available at many corner grills - the Ortega Burger; a cheese burger draped with an Ortega chili!

moustache

Practically Family
New York

I remember the Knisch and hot dogs from street vendors.
Fresh coffe at Zabars on the upper west side.
Pizza in Little Italy.
And the awfully expensive but delicious salmon sandwich at the Museum of Art.

JD

Salv

One Too Many
The taste of London is pie, mash and liquor - a minced beef pie, slightly lumpy mashed potato and a thick parsley sauce, with lashings of vinegar, salt and pepper, and washed down with industrial strength tea.

300grub1.jpg

If any of the visitors in January fancy trying pie and mash during the week of the Boisdale dinner let me know and we can take a trip to Manze's in Southwark.
towerbridgeoutsidea.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Vancouver: The freshest catch you could want at the Stanley Park Fish House. The under-appreciated wines of BC. Nine million flavors of gelato.

Montreal: Rack of lamb at Modavie in the Old Town. Dim sum in Chinatown. Omelets at Café Charrier off St-Denis. Brunch at Briocherie Lyonnaise in the Latin quarter.

Copenhagen: Smørrebrod with pickled fish and roast pork and lox and... Chewy whole-rye bread. A cold Carlsberg and another one. Licorice ice cream?!

London: The full whack in the morning at a cosy hotel. Scones and a nice cuppa in midafternoon. A pint of bitter or two, perhaps a bit of Stilton and cream crackers.

Memphis: Dry rub ribs at the Rendezvous. (I don't remember much else about Memphis, except that my buddies and I drank like sailors on liberty.)

matei

One Too Many
For me, it is the smell of roasting chestnuts that bring back memories of autumn in Paris.

Mititei, fresh off the grill, with mustard - washed down with cold beer - Bucuresti in the summer.

The smell of hops (?) from the Guinness brewery in Dublin. ;)

Hot dogs and pretzels remind me of hockey games at MSG in NYC.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
When I went to visit my sister and her boyfriend in Boston, my parents, sister, boyfriend, his friend, and I took a trip to New Hampshire and Vermont. While in vermont, we ate at a restaurant near the Ben and Jerry's factory, and I ordered lemon chicken. There was more in it, but it was the best chicken meal I had ever had, and at home, I stumbled upon it in the frozen section of the market. I bought it, and though it was not the same, it still reminded me of that meal.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
It's not very traditional but when I think of London I think of those double soft serve ice cream cones with the Cadbury flake bars--and Cadbury chocolate in general for that matter. Isn't it funny how something that probably seems routine to folks in one place is a treat for others? Oh, and I love their bacon too.

New York is always street food to me. There used to be a cart in front of the Met. Museum of Art that had the best gyros.

Boston is Emma's Pizza. They used to be located about 4 blocks from my apartment but then the original owner retired and they moved to Kendall Square. Still the best pizza I've ever had though (with Pizzaria Regina a close second).

Salv

One Too Many
Fletch said:

Memphis: Dry rub ribs at the Rendezvous. (I don't remember much else about Memphis, except that my buddies and I drank like sailors on liberty.)

I missed Rendevous Ribs when I was in Memphis a few years ago, but I did have the most tender and delicious dry ribs at a tiny place called Da Blues in Memphis Airport on the way home. They just melted in the mouth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley