Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Taste of a City!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Coney Island: Softshelled crab sandwiches at Nathan's Famous. Yes, the hotdogs are great, but mmm the softshells!
Buffalo: The wings are great, but the real national food of Buffalo is hot beef on Kemmelweck roll, with lots of ketchup and LOTS of horseradish, and LOTTTS of beer!
Venice: I has real scampi there. Exquisite.
Boston: I lived in Cambridge in 1970, when Legal Seafoods was founded. I walked by there every day and always meant to go in. Never did! My favorite place there was Elsie's Lunch. Huge Ruben sandwiches on Cissel bread (half rye, half pumpernickel, swirled). Derek Sanderson once sat down next to me there. Very Boston. Oh, yes. SQUASH PIE! Yum! Durgen Park! Corn Bread!
Munich: I ate at the Hacker Pschorr restaurant several times. Drowned myself in beer. Everything there was heavenly! Exquisite desserts during intermission at the Munich Opera!
Florence: They really do eat spinach by the ton there. It's good!

spiridon

A-List Customer
New Orleans is my favorite place for a good meal hands down! Archie & RedPop already covered some great choices.....of course THE BEST food is the cookouts we have shared at RedPop's and other friends in NOLA.:)

....but to add couple more that I have a hard time resisting are:
Maspero's...great memories of sharing Soft Shell Crab PoBoys with my Dad.
Central Grocery...wolfing down muffulettas!!!:D
NOLA's...An Emeril establishment.....great food and FUN atmosphere.

Thanks to all for the tips on Boston. I'll be sure to drop in a few of the places listed when I'm visiting in a couple of weeks.:)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dhermann1 said:
Boston: I lived in Cambridge in 1970, when Legal Seafoods was founded. I walked by there every day and always meant to go in. Never did! My favorite place there was Elsie's Lunch. Huge Ruben sandwiches on Cissel bread (half rye, half pumpernickel, swirled). Derek Sanderson once sat down next to me

Golly, I can't believe you walked by Legal's every day and never went in!!! I guess I'm kind of spoiled by Legal's. My first cousin is married to a Berkowitz, the owners of Legal's. So growing up I'd go there regularly. It's an institution here in Boston. It was so much fun to walk in and get seated immediately even though people like Steven Tyler were waiting for a table. The family situation got a little messy a few years back, but I love Legal's so much I still go there. Just don't tell my parents! I'm such a traitor. It is a bit awkward, I try to always have cash, for if they saw my name on a credit card, I might not get the best treatment. Although at one of the restaurants the manager knows who I am and he's very friendly, and I always get excellent service. It's like our little secret. I think he thinks it's funny that I still eat there after the family drama that happened. But, you can't beat the food there. Oyster's, chowder, lobster bisque, and the best seared spicy tuna on the planet!!!MMMMM. Anyway, you should look at your local market's frozen foods section. Many markets now sell Legals chowder and Lobster Bisque. I've had it and it's pretty darn good. Just buy a small crusty roll to dunk into it, and it'll be almost like eating it at the restaurant. MMMM, you're totally making me hungry for oysters with lots of horseradish and an ice cold Amstel. In the summer, it's so hard not to eat there every day!!

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

Hmmm...
Taffy from the box on the Atlantic City Boardwalk
Pizza from Mara's in South Philadelphia
A barbecue sandwich, gooey and vinegary, served up at King's in Kinston, N.C.
Cafe con leche in Ybor City, Tampa
Any cut of meat from Bern's in Tampa
Fried trout at the Sanitary Fish Market in Morehead City, N.C.

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
vonwotan said:
I've always associated Newport with Mimosas at brunch and "Frostbites" at Purgatory Cavern. These were the bacon cheesburgers that were served with fried onions and topped with a fried egg all cooked over an open fire while I was at school there. I missed out on most of the summers so we didn't get many lobster rolls.

These "Frostbites" have me intrigued. As a former resident of Fall River, MA, I got to like steak and eggs, Azorean style, a whole lot. A cheeseburger with fried eggs, fried onion, and bacon. Sounds to me like a delicious heart attack on a bun that might just be worth it.

vonwotan

Practically Family
The real secret was cooking everything for all of the burgers in the same iron skillet. The special sauce was the scrapings/dripping that you picked up as you scooped out each layer - a true cardiologists dream. In the middle of winter, especially after a Polar Bear Club monring, these were a special treat. To top it all off, the chef was our headmaster!

erikb02809 said:
These "Frostbites" have me intrigued. As a former resident of Fall River, MA, I got to like steak and eggs, Azorean style, a whole lot. A cheeseburger with fried eggs, fried onion, and bacon. Sounds to me like a delicious heart attack on a bun that might just be worth it.

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
Captain Frosty's in Dennis (Cape Cod), MA.... *sigh*
Everyone of my summer childhood memories revolves around getting flurries at Captain Frosty's. My family cottage is right up the road from the restaurant and we used to walk there at dusk together. Their fish and seafood is caught fresh every day and it's soooooo goooooood!

Now I REALLY want it to be summer!.... and a flurry lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley