Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The STETSON WAY, Advertising and ephemera of the Golden Era

RickP

Practically Family
Another framed today. Need to start surveying the walls to see where they will reside. think Ive got 3 or 4 more to take care of right now

Compress_20240720_124228_8349.jpg

AndyR

One of the Regulars
I love these old ads. RickP will especially cringe, but my wife does a lot of painting and collage art, so she cuts up a lot of old magazines. 'However', she is under strict orders to leave Stetson and any other hat advertising untouched. :)

RickP

Practically Family
Heres todays 1942 Vita Felt ad... Its really impressed me how some of these illustrations just jump out at you. Some have really nice graphics.

Considering the Saturday Evening Post's long history with Norman Rockwell, its too bad he didnt do any Stetson color ads... THOSE would have been cool

When I run out of things to do, Im thinking of looking for some of the Celebrity ads that stetson had ( Bob Hope, Dick Haynes, Bing Crosby, Ray Milland, David Niven etc).

Somewhere out there is a junk store with big boxes of old magazines waiting for me... Probably cheaper than ebay lol

Compress_20240723_104920_0919.jpg

RickP

Practically Family
Looking at all the 40s and 50's ads Ill have to say that one of my grandfathers was the $7 type and the other was the $12.50 type. ( farmer vs engineer)

RickP

Practically Family
Got a couple Stratoliner Ads and matchbooks up on the wall. Several more ready to go.... just trying to figure out whicjh wall they will go on. Trying to keep the general hats together as well as grouping the ww2 "Keep it under your Stetson" ads together

Compress_20240728_115145_5256.jpg
Compress_20240728_115144_4961.jpg

RickP

Practically Family
The walls are looking better and better. Most my work is done around the dining table so I figured it was the perfect place to display them. LOL Ive been planning to replace the grungy old baseboards for 5 yrs now.... guess Id better get on that!

Compress_20240728_161425_5748.jpg

RickP

Practically Family
Big day! got a couple of really nice sequentially numbered Stetson Common Stock certificates from 1914 in today! They even have the transfer certificates on the back from 1922 when one was redeemed and the other transferred into new stock.

The names are prob lost in time, but just in case any Stetson historians here recognize the names of Charles English or Andrew V Robey as having any significance let me know
Compress_20240731_114701_1195.jpg
Really nice. Will need to put a different background in the frame or cut a properly fitting matte, but Im happy

RickP

Practically Family
Humm..... interesting....there was a Postmaster Named Andrew V Robey in Maryland that testified during the trials of the Abraham Lincoln assassination conspirators. 1864 to the 1914 date on the stock is a bit of a stretch to have been this guy, but perhaps a son? Any Maryland Historians on here?

RickP

Practically Family
were not going to talk about how long it took to get the goodwill items silver again lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads