Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Return of The Three Piece Suit

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fletch said:
Part of me is deeply afraid to find the suit, have it made, wear it. It just can't be, somehow. There is no room for it in this dimension. I'll fall off the edge of things and just disappear, or some nasty end will befall me - crushed by a falling block of granite, shoved by some filthy street dude into oncoming traffic - and the order of things will be restored.

Embrace the fact that in many places it is downright freaky to wear one of these. Embrace the freakiness. As I used to be a punk rocker, for me this is easy and fun.

(Personally, I prefer a contrasting vest. But I like the 3-pieces that I do have.)

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Big Man said:
I agree, "context" is everything. This goes for any kind of clothing (including hats). You should always wear what is "appropriate" for the given situation/location/person.

Sadly, it seems that my idea of "appropriate" clashes with what passes for "appropriate" in this area. I suppose I could dig out some too-small, stained, and torn t-shirts and worn-out sweat pants or tear up my old BDU pants to wear everywhere I go around here so I'll fit in, but I have a hard time bringing myself to do so. :rolleyes: There have been times when I've felt overdressed wearing jeans and a polo shirt! :eusa_doh:

Cheers,
Tom

PS I don't currently have a 3-piece suit, but I like them. Not sure what the locals would think should I wear one--I've had a sport coat and slacks with loafers referred to as a "suit" here!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I totally agree - and I started it! :rolleyes:

Thinking too hard about clothes, or music, or society, or ANYTHING often starts me down the path to existential freakout. (And Doran: To me embracing the freak means embracing the freakout.)
I went up and dug my cat for 15 minutes and things began to fall back into place.
2156143644_897e648ca9_m.jpg

Cats: Reality You Can Pet

Jovan

Suspended
Big Man said:
I'm not sure I will agree totally with you here. Of course negative/positive reactions to a three piece suit could it could be attributed to geography, age of the wearer, or in my case (I'm sure) projection (i.e. size). Being over 50 and big (I've had people say my picture weighs three pounds), I'm sure that comments (should people think them) are not spoken in my hearing. :D

I can see where someone, say in their early to mid 20's wearing a three piece suit to a fast food place or even to school, may look out of place (sorry, but that may be unfortunately true). However, an "over 50" man in the same style suit in the same setting may not necessarily look out of place.

Of course I could just be some old fuddy duddy and not know anything (as the 20 something crowd is probabally thinking right now ...) [huh]
20-something speaking here -- not thinking that. :)

The only sort-of-fast-food place I've worn any suit to is Steak 'N' Shake, and that's just because it's a sit down restaurant where they take your order. (Plus, I just HAPPENED to be in a two piece when I decided I could use a steakburger and chili.) I would never wear one to a McDonald's. Or wear anything to a McDonald's for that matter, because I haven't eaten there in years. But I'm getting off topic here.

Yes, setting does matter. You'd never wear a dinner jacket, much less a silk top hat, to most places unless you just got back from prom or another formal function. But I see no harm in say, me wearing a brown three piece to a nice Italian place or anything. I agree though, you can definitely pull off wearing the same thing to more places because of your age. Strange how that works. Though I do get a bit miffed when some of my friends say I need to gain another 20 some odd years to pull off the things I like. More people do like it than don't, however. That's what keeps me going. :D

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Big Man said:
I can see where someone, say in their early to mid 20's wearing a three piece suit to a fast food place or even to school, may look out of place (sorry, but that may be unfortunately true). However, an "over 50" man in the same style suit in the same setting may not necessarily look out of place.

Of course I could just be some old fuddy duddy and not know anything (as the 20 something crowd is probabally thinking right now ...) [huh]

I don't mind standing out, though standing out is never my intention. The intention is for me to like what I'm wearing and how I look, and part of that is not wearing sweats or other currently popular things.

DOUGLAS

Feraud said:
Has anyone else bought a three piece?
I stopped in JCrew yesterday and see their three pieces are still on the racks. The vests are selling as separates for those who like to accessorize with other outfits and/or need someplace to hang their pocket watches.

When I buy a suit I always try to get a 3 piece. I currently have two 3 piece suits at the tailors. When I can't find one I like I will find a vest that goes with it. I like to accessorize with a vest.I think I have more vests than sport coats. A vest gives me at least two more pockets to use. I now have a place for my cell phone and keys so they don't swim around in my coat pocket. Personally, I feel much more comfortable wearing a vest.
I bought one resently from J Crew to go with a BB linen suit. I would buy a J Crew 3 piece if the pants and jacket fit me properly.
I even bought one of those $1200 green tweed RL purple label jobs Fletch was talking about. I wish I could find a few lovely vintage suits but in my size it is close to impossible.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
DOUGLAS said:
When I buy a suit I always try to get a 3 piece. I currently have two 3 piece suits at the tailors. When I can't find one I like I will find a vest that goes with it. I like to accessorize with a vest.I think I have more vests than sport coats. A vest gives me at least two more pockets to use. I now have a place for my cell phone and keys so they don't swim around in my coat pocket. Personally, I feel much more comfortable wearing a vest.
I bought one resently from J Crew to go with a BB linen suit. I would buy a J Crew 3 piece if the pants and jacket fit me properly.
I even bought one of those $1200 green tweed RL purple label jobs Fletch was talking about. I wish I could find a few lovely vintage suits but in my size it is close to impossible.

paulfrederick.com has its new season with a lot of vintage inspired 3 piece suits...FWIW

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Paul Fredrick is mostly offering the lapeled vest this year, with only 2 pockets, which makes it more dressy than functional. They do it only to go with their 2 button suit, which is very conventionally cut. So all in all, not all that vintage inspired.

Jovan

Suspended
Vintage inspired or not it's still classic in its lines, and I would take that over a lot of the three piece suits I see on the racks... including the ones at J. Crew. [huh]

Maguire

Practically Family
Rooster said:
Good God that is awfull.:eek: You can even see his tie poking out at the bottom of the vest. Not a good look in my book.
Yes and on top of this i always thought one wore a three piece suit with suspenders, it looks awful to wear it with a belt. But modern fashion is hideous for the most part, its about comfort at the expense of any sense of decency. That's why you'll see people in sandals and croc shoes (the ugliest thing i've ever seen in my life), wife beaters, baseball caps, and pajamas in universities. I saw a professor wearing a suit and tie.. wearing crocs. Unbelievable!

excuse my tangent.

Dr Doran

Maguire said:
. I saw a professor wearing a suit and tie.. wearing crocs. Unbelievable!

Very little sartorial self-respect at Berkeley either, good Maguire. Professors in torn jeans and Hawaiian shirts. I am not talking about professors of California Studies (!) either. I am talking about professors of Classics, as in Ancient Greek Literature.

Any time one of THEM wears a suit, dumb questions are asked ... no wonder they don't bother.

It's frightening.

Maguire

Practically Family
Doran said:
Very little sartorial self-respect at Berkeley either, good Maguire. Professors in torn jeans and Hawaiian shirts. I am not talking about professors of California Studies (!) either. I am talking about professors of Classics, as in Ancient Greek Literature.

Any time one of THEM wears a suit, dumb questions are asked ... no wonder they don't bother.

It's frightening.
Yes, i've had quite a few humorous instances. Since i wear a suit to work mostly, i generally will wear it to class as well. Oftentimes when i walk into the classroom, even if the teacher is there the students will for a brief moment assume i am the teacher. One time i was waiting for a class taking place before mine to end with the rest of the students and as they finally left, the professor came out and apologized to me for "holding up my class" and such. I've seen a few professors who still wear suits and ties in my school but most of them are old fossils. The young ones dress like they just came back from a party for the most part.

Dr Doran

Maguire said:
Yes, i've had quite a few humorous instances. Since i wear a suit to work mostly, i generally will wear it to class as well. Oftentimes when i walk into the classroom, even if the teacher is there the students will for a brief moment assume i am the teacher. One time i was waiting for a class taking place before mine to end with the rest of the students and as they finally left, the professor came out and apologized to me for "holding up my class" and such. I've seen a few professors who still wear suits and ties in my school but most of them are old fossils. The young ones dress like they just came back from a party for the most part.

Not a nice party, either.

WH1

Practically Family
Bugsy said:
CROCS WITH A SUIT AND TIE???? The world is coming to an end!!!

what kind of socks does one wear with crocs and a suit? Should they match your tie?:eusa_doh:

They can't be any worse than the old hippie professor look we saw in my college days, you know berkenstocks and a BADLY FITTED corduroy suit with leather elbow patches, granny glasses, a plaid shirt and wool square bottom necktie and scraggly beard and haircut (apparently this indicated they were deeply intellectual). [huh]

Dr Doran

WH1 said:
what kind of socks does one wear with crocs and a suit? Should they match your tie?:eusa_doh:

They can't be any worse than the old hippie professor look we saw in my college days, you know berkenstocks and a BADLY FITTED corduroy suit with leather elbow patches, granny glasses, a plaid shirt and wool square bottom necktie and scraggly beard and haircut (apparently this indicated they were deeply intellectual). [huh]

I'll take that (trotsky look) over the levi's. Can you imagine giving a lecture on Oedipus Rex wearing levi's? Geezuz.

undertaker

Practically Family
Feraud said:
Has anyone else bought a three piece?
I stopped in JCrew yesterday and see their three pieces are still on the racks. The vests are selling as separates for those who like to accessorize with other outfits and/or need someplace to hang their pocket watches.

I was just counting.... Looks like 6 three pieces suits and 8 odd vests. I prefer the three piece when I find them. I started wearing them because I wanted a place to wear my watch chain and they just look dignified.

Regards,
J.S.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe