Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Resistol Roundup

Scored a Resistol Cross Plains 3X beaver in cordova brown for beer money. My first western. I really like this one.

tapatalk_1402512877599_resized.jpg
tapatalk_1402512870452.jpg

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I finally scored a Resistol San Antonio over the weekend. I found it on eBay and I was the only bidder. I've been looking for one for seven or eight years...ever since I found out that the Dallas PD detectives standing with Lee Oswald weren't wearing Open Roads. The hat isn't in perfect condition. Looks like a horse or something might have stepped on it, so it'll need reblocking. Still...it's a San Antonio in an impossible to find size 7 3/4. Seller's photos follow.

sanant_zps7037d037.jpg

sanant2_zps4b061676.jpg

AF

g.durand

One Too Many
Congrats, AF. One of those is on my wish list as well.

By the way, having grown up in the South myself, I like your signature line. I'm wondering if it's a quote. It sounds like it could be a line from Faulkner or Tennessee Williams.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
By the way, having grown up in the South myself, I like your signature line. I'm wondering if it's a quote. It sounds like it could be a line from Faulkner or Tennessee Williams.

Hi g.durand. It is part of a quote from The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara. It sums up the complex culture here in the South better than any five sentences I have ever read. Here is the entire passage.

Chamberlain thought vaguely of the South. She had loved it. She had been at home. Heat and Spanish moss. Strange hot land of courtly manners and sudden violence, elegance and anger. A curious mixture: the white-columned houses high on the green hills, the shacks down in the dark valleys. Land of black and white, no grays. The South was a well-bred, well-mannered, highly educated man challenging you to a duel.

AF

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
At the risk of going off topic, I strongly recommend Shaara's "The Killer Angels." It is a great read and really brings the battle of Gettysburg to life. The passage quoted by Atticus Finch gives a good flavor of the style, which combines economy, poetry, and insight.

Back to hats...

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Here's some of my contributions to the Resistol Round Up thread...these are all Stagecoaches...

Silverbelly.jpg

R_Silverbelly_02.jpg

R_Silverbelly_03.jpg

RS_04.jpg

RS_02.jpg

4X Stagecoach Indy Conversion:

Indy_4_X_Stagecoach_01.jpg

Indy_4_X_Stagecoach_04.jpg

The_Indy_06.jpg

Another Stagecoach conversion:

Black_Hat_02.jpg

Black_Hat_03.jpg

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
The San Antonio arrived yesterday, a bit crumpled in a too-small box. No worries. A little time in front of my steam kettle solved those issues. Turns out the hat is in decent condition and didn't need a re-block. And it suffered from no mothing or horse stomping as I had feared. Just a little dust and closet grime that my hat brush was able to handle. It isn't an old hat. I'm not sure when Resistol stopped making the SA, but I'm guessing this is from their later production. It isn't a terribly high-quality hat, but its acceptable. My Resistol Wide Country and Waco have much better felt. But they are both older hats, I'm sure.

I would love to hear opinions as to when this San Ant was made. I haven't googled up Libertyville Saddle Shop, but that's where the hat was sold new. And, as you can see, the original "spec tag" and size tag are still present in the hat, if they are clues.

AF

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Libertyville Saddle Shop closed in December of 2011 after being open for over fifty years. So that doesn't offer much help in dating my hat. I guess it was sold between 1961, when the store opened, and 2011, when the store closed...which is probably the time period when all San Antonios were sold.

AF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe