Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

Justdog

Practically Family
Royal OR

Here is a Royal OR. Got this one and it was stiff smelly and had a few moth bites.
Fit way off my head in a classic LBJ crease (cattleman). Was not enthusiastic about it so I left it in the basement for 3 weeks:) . Decided to take it to the hatter and have it cleaned. Got it back and was not quite sure if it was the same hat. The felt was soft and supple and it seemed bigger. It is like an every day category hat or a sort of beater but I don't beat up hats. Certainly worth the cleaning and blocking cost. One of the softer felts I have.

RoyalOR.jpg

RoyalOR2.jpg

RoyalOR3.jpg

RoyalOR4.jpg

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I won my first Open Road on e-bay last week. It was also the first hat I've bought from e-bay. I've been waiting for daylight to take pictures of it, but when I did I found that flash pictures gave the best rendition of the hat's color.

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

I'd like to see any comments or criticisms about the hat as far as how old you take it to be, its quality and condition, etc if you care to. Also is there a correct way to wear an OR - front brim snapped up or snapped down? My feeling is that this one sits high on my head (or higher than I'm used to). Do OR's normally sit high? This one's size tag says 7 1/4 Long Oval, which would normally fit me, but I wonder if it has shrunk. The e-bay description said it is a 7 1/4 but fit more like a 7 3/8. I have found that not to be true. It fits like a tight 7 1/4.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
epic610 said:
i like the lower most photo with the brim snapped down fedora style ...yet with the cattleman's crease.

Thanks, epic. I'm with you. I like it better that way too.

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
Can I join, and how old is this Resistol?

Pictures2008078.jpg

Pictures2008102.jpg

Ebay aquisition, arrived today. Came with various slips from Resistol and Kaufman Menswear, either in Great Falls or Missoula MT. Price listed at $25, but there was a sales slip and sale price sticker for $5.97! The dark brown sweat is marked with the store info, Resistol name, and at the front "5X Beaver". There's a trolley.

All the tags are still in the hat. One lists the model, size, price, color and brim size (SAN ANT, 7-1/2, 25.00, 2-5/8) and the other touts the virtures of the Resistol self-conforming floating band. The lining has the Resistol name, crest and underneath that it reads "A Byer-Rolnick PRODUCT".

It seems like new, and I'm almost reluctant to mess up the tags in order to put some Lexol on the sweat. Should I remove them and set them aside, or leave em in and wear it tags and all?

Thanks in advance!

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
Not the best pictures.. Owen Wilson wears a great, great western hat in The Royal Tenenbaums. In the script it's a Stetson. Can you all tell if this is an Open road?
865347710_9fb1bff7f4.jpg
owen_wilson_the_royal_tenenbaums_00.jpg

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
TopGumby said:
Pictures2008078.jpg

Pictures2008102.jpg

Ebay aquisition, arrived today. Came with various slips from Resistol and Kaufman Menswear, either in Great Falls or Missoula MT. Price listed at $25, but there was a sales slip and sale price sticker for $5.97! The dark brown sweat is marked with the store info, Resistol name, and at the front "5X Beaver". There's a trolley.

All the tags are still in the hat. One lists the model, size, price, color and brim size (SAN ANT, 7-1/2, 25.00, 2-5/8) and the other touts the virtures of the Resistol self-conforming floating band. The lining has the Resistol name, crest and underneath that it reads "A Byer-Rolnick PRODUCT".

It seems like new, and I'm almost reluctant to mess up the tags in order to put some Lexol on the sweat. Should I remove them and set them aside, or leave em in and wear it tags and all?

Thanks in advance!

TopGumby, that hat is absolutely tops and great picture in front of the Xmas tree! And the bash looks fabulous, too. I have no idea about Resistol hats, nor their history, but from what I see, though, this must be a very good quality hat. How old do you think it might be? What's the color of the sweatband: light brown or dark brown/or black?
Can't you just put the Lexol on, those tags must be on the inside of the sweatband, no? I would, ordinarily, wear the hat tags'n all, I have some old hats with tags still there, and they been there for a long time...
But, again: here's a very nice hat!
Greetings from Belgium
Paul

Justdog

Practically Family
OR 25 LO 7 1/4

Rebashed this as it was in as new condition with the cattleman crease. Have a couple like that so I bashed it with a pinch and lowered the brim at the front. Fits great especially now as it lowered the fit closer to my brow. The leather sweat is like new leather and real soft wide and comfortable like right off the shelf so I will have to start wearing it to make it conform to my shape. Is not full of stiffener but is merely a new stiff. Definitely a keeper now:) Actually it has a bull nose not a pinch.

OpenRoad.jpg

Stet25LO3.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d138/justdog/Hats/Stet25LO2.jpg
Stet25LO.jpg

Justdog

Practically Family
Nice bash

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

Sweet hat nice ribbon classic look. Personally I try to keep the hats tags in place if possible but after wearing, the 12.50 prices on the inside fade away.
Keep em in if you can but try and preserve them.

carter

I'll Lock Up
A word of caution

Justdog said:

Thanks in advance!
Suggest being very cautious regarding the use of Lexol on the sweatband. GWD did that on one of his hats and it destroyed the sweatband. I don't remember the thread but you might want to pm him before using Lexol.

I'd leave the tags in and wear the hat as it is.

Justdog

Practically Family
Lexol

carter said:
Suggest being very cautious regarding the use of Lexol on the sweatband. GWD did that on one of his hats and it destroyed the sweatband. I don't remember the thread but you might want to pm him before using Lexol.

I'd leave the tags in and wear the hat as it is.

Good advice on the Lexol. I find the natural oils in my forehead work into the leather plus wearing it soften and conforms it to your shape.

cromcruiach

New in Town
UWS Cowboy said:
Not the best pictures.. Owen Wilson wears a great, great western hat in The Royal Tenenbaums. In the script it's a Stetson. Can you all tell if this is an Open road?
865347710_9fb1bff7f4.jpg
owen_wilson_the_royal_tenenbaums_00.jpg

It sure looks like an Open Road to me. Does Owen Wilson--er, "Eli Cash" in the film--get to join the guild? Now, if only I could find that stylin' jacket of his somewheres . . .

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
7 5/8 LO from Johnnys Custom Hats, Longview, TX

I've been looking all over for an OR 7 5/8LO and she threw this in when a won I pair of Dobbs. Not a Stetson OR but I'm getting closer.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2543627160104422930NqIWIV?vhost=good-times

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2649292770104422930NpSpdc?vhost=good-times

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2759726530104422930mDwZZL?vhost=good-times

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2093141520104422930DCrxjK?vhost=good-times

Still can't seem to get a full sized pic to post. Any suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rand S