Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

RBH

Bartender
black-cowboys.jpg

This film was made in 1966 by Pete, Toshi and Daniel Seeger with the assistance of Bruce Jackson, who continues to teach today as James Agee professor of American Culture at the University of Buffalo.

[video]http://www.folkstreams.net/film,122[/video]

the following note from Bruce's FB page where he shared a photo of the making of this film yesterday:

"Here is a photo of Pete, Toshi and Dan Seeger, and me, in 1966 at Ellis prison farm in Texas when we were making what turned out to be the only film made of black convict work songs. Pete and Toshi paid for it. They said at the time, "This music will be gone soon, it must to documented and preserved. We can't wait for grants." And, as with so many things Pete and Toshi said, they were right. Within a year that music was gone forever. You can see this film online at http://www.folkstreams.net/film,122"

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Thanks a lot, Alan. Many years ago I read about the project at Ellis, but I never actually had the chance to watch the film. A fantastic document, but it's a little shocking, it's not older. If you ever heard Leadbelly and his huge voice, it's not hard to imagine him as King of such a gang. It made me dig out my copy of "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" :)

Btw, notice the scene where they are standing on a row, chopping firewood. Lots of nice little swirling axe-tricks here and there.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Haha ... Well, I must definitely admit, he was a great singer - while he was it. Though I must admit, that after his 5th (or was it his 27th) retirement concert, I started wishing for a little trustworthiness. In his later years he had more trouble keeping the pitch, than he had keeping the hair. I know, you can't say things like that, but I do anyhow. Ma' told me never to lie :)

Haha ... Well, I must definitely admit, he was a great singer - while he was it. Though I must admit, that after his 5th (or was it his 27th) retirement concert, I started wishing for a little trustworthiness. In his later years he had more trouble keeping the pitch, than he had keeping the hair. I know, you can't say things like that, but I do anyhow. Ma' told me never to lie :)

Yeah as my grandfather used to say: The only good thing about living to be old is that you didn't die young." :p
Age effects everything---including your voice. :doh:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Yups, just like alcohol, age is the cause of three serious defects around the brain: "Loss of memory" and ... erhhhh ... and ... mmm ... well, you probably know what I mean :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeLSA