Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The most amazing newpaper front page I've seen...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The personification of the Brooklyn Dodgers -- the "Brooklyn Bum." That page commemorated their first and only world championship in 1955.

mullin_1952.gif

He wasn't welcome in Los Angeles. Bunch of west coast snobs.

Last edited:

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Atomic Age, out of curiosity, where did you get that image? It looks like a forgery to me, or maybe a digitally enhanced reproduction.

I just found it on line. It actually not the head line from the next day, but rather a memorial edition from the one year anniversary of Lincoln's death. It maybe a reproduction, but I believe its a copy of the actual original paper from the one year anniversary.

Doug

Nobert

Practically Family
I just found it on line. It actually not the head line from the next day, but rather a memorial edition from the one year anniversary of Lincoln's death. It maybe a reproduction, but I believe its a copy of the actual original paper from the one year anniversary.

Doug

Oh, okay, I was just wondering because it's definitely not a straight scan of an original paper, but I have no problem believing that it's a cobbled together or Photoshopped version of what was an actual paper. Sorry if I implied that there was something shady going on.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
The 1920 Wall Street Bombing. One of the biggest terror-attacks on New York until 2001.

image066.jpg

Oct13BB1920MorganExplosion3.jpg

Another famous 1920s terrorist-attack, the 1927 Bath School Disaster:

image044.jpg

In 1917, a munitions ship exploded in Halifax Harbour, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. The headline reads...

images

The Halifax Explosion holds the record of being the biggest ever manmade blast...

...Until Hiroshima.

April, 1906. San Francisco is rocked by a powerful earthquake and is razed to the ground by three days of fire. The Boston Post reports...

newsearthquake_detail.jpg

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Multiple big-news headlines from October, 1929. Of course, the Wall Street Crash is right at the top, but it's not the only one...

_46611240_newspaper_getty512.jpg

The date is October 24, 1929.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up

At the time, it was believed the Lusitania was hit by two torpedoes (and even as many as three) because it sank in such a short period of time.

Of course, we know today that the ship was hit by only ONE torpedo. It sank so fast because the ship wasn't able to stop and the motion of the vessel forced water into the bowels of the ship. A secondary explosion, caused by coal-dust, hastened the ship's sinking. The ship's inability to stop directly contributed to the loss of life because it's impossible to safely launch lifeboats while a ship is in motion (the wake from the bow would wash the lifeboats away and smash them to pieces).

Mr. Vanderbilt missed passage on the Titanic and got lucky. On the Lusitania, he heroically gave his life-vest to a woman and insisted she take it, even though everyone knew that he didn't know how to swim.

Captain Turner was washed off the ship as it sank. He was found unconscious floating in the water and pulled into a lifeboat.

Last edited:

Connery

One Too Many
Controversy also arose when it was held by the German government "the second explosion was a result of a secret cargo of heavy munitions on the ship. If this true, Britain was guilty of breaking the rules of warfare by using a civilian ship to carry ammunition. British authorities rejected this charge"

notice.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tex rider