Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

" The Great British Hat Makers "

PanosChris

Practically Family
Johnson & Co Hatters Top Hat. Crown height 15.5cm, brim 5cm.

View attachment 624819 View attachment 624820

I believe this company must be the one Herbert Johnson claim to be the heir of.

When looking at the history of Herbert Johnson, it is mentioned that he was apprenticed to Lincoln Bennett in 1872, and started his own hattery in 1889.

However, their logo states, established in 1790, as is the date on the liner logo of this one:

View attachment 624822

A fun address explanation - 111 Regent Street, one door from Vigo Street.

While trying to find information about Johnson & Co, I found this bill of sale on English Ebay, which I just had to buy:

View attachment 624831

It is not the bill of sale to my Topper. However, it is interesting to see that in 1845 Johnson & Co were at 113 Regent Street at the corner of Viggo Street.

They also claim to be the inventor of and patent holder of the flexible velvet hat. I assume this to be an English version of the Gibus or Opera Hat.

The bill of sale is for such a patented velvet hat. £1 and 3 shillings sounds cheap, but was a whopping equivalent of over £150 back then.

While mine is not as old as 1845, I believe it to be pre 1900s, and quite possibly beaver felt.
Amazing find, Steve! Super research too

Does the underbrim feel like felt as well?

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Amazing find, Steve! Super research too

Does the underbrim feel like felt as well?
Thanks, Panos.

The underbrim is definitely not felt. It has the ubiquitous underbrim material.

20240704_223449.jpg

I'm doubtful as to whether or not the hat itself is beaver skin. What makes me believe it so is the feel of the material.

If it isn't beaver skin, it is definitely one of the best quality silk moleskin looking Top Hats I own.

20240704_223502.jpg

Either way, I'm pleased to have found this possible "missing link" to the Herbert Johnson family hat tree.

Johnson & Co Hatters Top Hat. Crown height 15.5cm, brim 5cm.

View attachment 624819 View attachment 624820

I believe this company must be the one Herbert Johnson claim to be the heir of.

When looking at the history of Herbert Johnson, it is mentioned that he was apprenticed to Lincoln Bennett in 1872, and started his own hattery in 1889.

However, their logo states, established in 1790, as is the date on the liner logo of this one:

View attachment 624822

A fun address explanation - 111 Regent Street, one door from Vigo Street.

While trying to find information about Johnson & Co, I found this bill of sale on English Ebay, which I just had to buy:

View attachment 624831

It is not the bill of sale to my Topper. However, it is interesting to see that in 1845 Johnson & Co were at 113 Regent Street at the corner of Viggo Street.

They also claim to be the inventor of and patent holder of the flexible velvet hat. I assume this to be an English version of the Gibus or Opera Hat.

The bill of sale is for such a patented velvet hat. £1 and 3 shillings sounds cheap, but was a whopping equivalent of over £150 back then.

While mine is not as old as 1845, I believe it to be pre 1900s, and quite possibly beaver felt.
Fantastic find, Steve and a super piece of history connected with it.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic find, Steve and a super piece of history connected with it.
Thanks, Stefan.

I've never seen a Johnson & Co hat before and have often wondered why Herbert Johnson claimed to be established in 1790. This must be the answer.

Now, the next question to find the answer to is, what connection has Herbert Johnson to Johnson & Co? Grandfather, perhaps?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bootsyd