Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now if you only look at the hippies you see in films and TV as you would since you weren't around when the true "hippie" movement was going on, you'd know there there was more to it that just "free love" pot and lamenting the "squares".

Ok, tell us what you saw and experienced directly with hippies. I want your credentials now. From 600 miles south of me, you had better have lived near here and saw what the Haight Ashbury district was and is now as a result.:rolleyes:

PoohBang

Suspended
Ok, tell us what you saw and experienced directly with hippies. I want your credentials now. From 600 miles south of me, you had better have lived near here and saw what the Haight Ashbury district was and is now as a result.:rolleyes:

lol

I'm not going to list my credential to you. "NOW".

so you think hippies only lived at Haight Ashbury? That might be where the movement started, but it was worldwide.

if you had asked nicely, then maybe. But I don't respond to that...

The real story..and truth. Listen closely...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zHmi9y-KLo

Yeah, I remember that crap. Look closely at what is described as "affluence." It is a mess. Dirty, disorganized---just like them.
This is obviously The Grateful Dead being politic with their views as we know for sure that they sold drugs at their concerts---"it isn't a drug movement." :rofl: They got quite a bit of their affluence from the drug sales.

[huh]Well you must be a rock star..or movie idol since you've claimed to have 'fans'...but from the pic I saw..I didn't recognise you at all. Be charitable..give us a hint....

No, dude. I was an am just a regular guy. You have to remember that only 25% of the youth population at that time were interested or even involved in the hippie stuff. They fooled very few people---even out here.
What you saw on the TV and the news weren't necessarily home grown hippies. They came out here from everywhere---mostly back east. San Francisco was a Mecca.
Pictures? Fans?[huh]

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
In some schools, male teachers no longer wear tied ties (only clip ons) for safety reasons. I've known women who don't wear their hair long for some of the same reasons. Really sad, but having seen teachers get punched in the face and loose teeth when trying to break up a fight, I don't blame them trying to stay safe. Parent/teacher night is different- unless it is right after school or they expect the parents to have similar issues. (I know one teacher who was attacked by a parent during a conference with the parent.)

I can honestly see a kindergarten (5-6 year olds) or 1st grade (6-7 year olds) teacher wearing jeans or not professional clothing on a regular basis. Ditto for elementary art teacher. Those are messy ages and activities; finger paint doesn't come out. I can see any teacher wearing flats/ the most comfortable shoes possible. Anybody who has ever stood for 6 hours on a cement floor without a break knows what it is like to be a teacher.

:eek:
No, dude. I was an am just a regular guy. You have to remember that only 25% of the youth population at that time were interested or even involved in the hippie stuff. They fooled very few people---even out here.
What you saw on the TV and the news weren't necessarily home grown hippies. They came out here from everywhere---mostly back east. San Francisco was a Mecca.
Pictures? Fans?[huh]

Hold on...I wasn't addressing you! I forgot to hit the quote reply to the guy's post who likes to make himself a secret and elusive wonder of incredable cred. Sorry...:eek:

Does anyone know exactly HOW the hippie movement started? I know that Antioch College in Yellow Springs, Ohio was a huge influence, but where did it begin and why??

It just depends on who you listen to. Alan Ginsberg took credit for splitting off from the beatniks and turning his students onto LSD and other forms of dope in the mid to late 60s. This also coincided with nutty stuff like the Human Be-In in '67 in Golden Gate Park that popularized hippies out here. Hey, they were college kids interested in free love. :p Then it went to the Summer of Love and Gained more ground with Woodstock as it spread across the country. So at least we know that the year 1967 was a nexus year.
Antioch College was a symptom more than a start of the "movement." Anywhere where you had a ready population of college students was a starting point. UC Berkeley, Stanford, UCLA etc. It was a young person movement.
As an aside, I have to laugh at Kerouac's comments about Ginsberg in 1968. "He is good enough to throw to the lions." :rofl:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Does anyone know exactly HOW the hippie movement started? I know that Antioch College in Yellow Springs, Ohio was a huge influence, but where did it begin and why??

There were proto-hippies as far back as the early forties, when Eden Ahbez was living in a tent beneath the Hollywood sign, and leading a small movement of natural-foods/natural-living faddists with long hair, beards, and sandals. They probably experimented with drugs as well, but if so they weren't a big part of their culture. Ahbez himself became a national figure in 1948 when Nat King Cole recorded his song, "Nature Boy," which spelled out his love-and-be-loved philosophy. He wrote a lot of other songs in the fifties, and recorded several albums -- so it's likely a lot of future hippies were familiar with him and his beliefs.

In some schools, male teachers no longer wear tied ties (only clip ons) for safety reasons. I've known women who don't wear their hair long for some of the same reasons. Really sad, but having seen teachers get punched in the face and loose teeth when trying to break up a fight, I don't blame them trying to stay safe. Parent/teacher night is different- unless it is right after school or they expect the parents to have similar issues. (I know one teacher who was attacked by a parent during a conference with the parent.)

I can honestly see a kindergarten (5-6 year olds) or 1st grade (6-7 year olds) teacher wearing jeans or not professional clothing on a regular basis. Ditto for elementary art teacher. Those are messy ages and activities; finger paint doesn't come out. I can see any teacher wearing flats/ the most comfortable shoes possible. Anybody who has ever stood for 6 hours on a cement floor without a break knows what it is like to be a teacher.

That is really a sad commentary on where our schools have gone and even more on the responsibility of parents to set an example. I would have had that person charged with assault if it were me.:mad:
My son's teacher comes in business casual most days but she is neat and for the Parent/teacher night, she was even better dressed. She used to be a music label rep so I am sure she has enough clothes to choose from. :p However, it doesn't take much to get dressed for the Parent/teacher night considering that it started at 7pm and school ended 4 hours earlier at the most. [huh]

There were proto-hippies as far back as the early forties, when Eden Ahbez was living in a tent beneath the Hollywood sign, and leading a small movement of natural-foods/natural-living faddists with long hair, beards, and sandals. They probably experimented with drugs as well, but if so they weren't a big part of their culture. Ahbez himself became a national figure in 1948 when Nat King Cole recorded his song, "Nature Boy," which spelled out his love-and-be-loved philosophy. He wrote a lot of other songs in the fifties, and recorded several albums -- so it's likely a lot of future hippies were familiar with him and his beliefs.

Wow! Now there is a name I haven't heard in a long time! He was certainly out there for the time. Ginsberg and his like were sure to have known him and built on his influence.

rue

It just depends on who you listen to. Alan Ginsberg took credit for splitting off from the beatniks and turning his students onto LSD and other forms of dope in the mid to late 60s. This also coincided with nutty stuff like the Human Be-In in '67 in Golden Gate Park that popularized hippies out here. Hey, they were college kids interested in free love. :p Then it went to the Summer of Love and Gained more ground with Woodstock as it spread across the country. So at least we know that the year 1967 was a nexus year.
Antioch College was a symptom more than a start of the "movement." Anywhere where you had a ready population of college students was a starting point. UC Berkeley, Stanford, UCLA etc. It was a young person movement.
As an aside, I have to laugh at Kerouac's comments about Ginsberg in 1968. "He is good enough to throw to the lions." :rofl:

Thanks to you both for answering me. I've asked my mother and others of that era and they have no idea, which is odd to me. I would think everyone would have known [huh]

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That is really a sad commentary on where our schools have gone and even more on the responsibility of parents to set an example. I would have had that person charged with assault if it were me.:mad:
My son's teacher comes in business casual most days but she is neat and for the Parent/teacher night, she was even better dressed. She used to be a music label rep so I am sure she has enough clothes to choose from. :p However, it doesn't take much to get dressed for the Parent/teacher night considering that it started at 7pm and school ended 4 hours earlier at the most. [huh]

I would tend to agree with everything you said. The school in which this female teacher worked had police on duty, and I believe the parent was charged. I believe the teacher said that the parent was already on probation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82