Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.

rue

high school is a different beast then elementary. I had teachers in ties but they had been teaching for 20+ years already...

And I never got acid washed jeans when they first came out.

They dressed like that in elementary school and junior high (called middle school now for some weird reason) too, but I just meant that teachers were still dressing that way at least until the 1980s.

I went to a public high school in the mid 80s and I only had one teacher that didn't dress up in a suit and tie and he was the shop teacher. All the women wore dresses.

There were two teachers at my high school who wore a suit and tie. Mr. Hill the English and Journalism teacher, and one of the science teachers, Mr. Burt. Both were a bit older than the other teachers -- Mr. Burt was probably the oldest. Mr. Hill's wife was also a teacher there. I remember she was quite attractive and like her husband was one of the more stylishly attired teachers there.

Last edited:
I agree 100%. The only reason I wouldn't be wearing a jacket is because I'm a walking, talking furnace. It gets above 75 and I'm schvitzing like no other.

Slacks and a collared shirt should be the minimum. If they want to be considered professionals then they should look like them.

You'd never blend in with the norm like that - which is, of course, no reason not to dress exactly how you want. ;)

Our principal was a very nice lady, but I found her attire to be a bit on the edge. She always wore 'hooker heels' or these knee high go-go type boots. I think that's what she'll be remembered for most of all.

Sort of like my experience. Mr. Lee was the principal and there were rumors that he had a HUGE paddle just waiting.:eeek:

[video=youtube;t8tdmaEhMHE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8tdmaEhMHE[/video]

Far freakin out ..JimboBro....'One toke over the line'..heh:peace:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
^ Don't get him started lol ...
They started making them again.... those and bleached out jeans :rolleyes:

I went to a public high school in the mid 80s and I only had one teacher that didn't dress up in a suit and tie and he was the shop teacher. All the women wore dresses.

Hi

Our shop teacher wore a tie, but had to stuff it inside his shirt. He also had a lab coat he wore sometimes. The Ag teacher didn't wear a tie much. Only the coach wore a polo shirt and those coach shorts or pants. '79.

Our district went from conservative in grade school to way out hippy by fifth grade. Kindergarten and first grade, girls had to wear dresses EVERY day period. They COULD wear pants under the dresses in the snow. Boys had to wear button up shirts and dress pants no jeans every day. By fifth grade, every kid was in jeans, t-shirt, and flannel shirts. The girls were wearing low rise jeans and tank tops. Big change in 5 years.

Later

My dad told me he once got sent home from school for wearing just a white t-shirt. He had forgotten to put his dress shirt on over it. It makes me laugh. I can count the times I've seen my dad in a dress shirt in my life on one hand.

Come on, you didn't crack up at Welk calling it a 'spiritual' or whatever it is he called it, I can't recall.

I didn't get that far but Modern Spiritual is a bit much.:eusa_doh: I don't think any of them on that stage even understood what they were singing. :rolleyes:
I laughed at the guy announcing them though. He couldn't even get out that they were going to sing a hippie song on Lawrence Welk.:p

That's why I love this version so much! It's so anti-Welk!

I didn't get that far but Modern Spiritual is a bit much.:eusa_doh: I don't think any of them on that stage even understood what they were singing. :rolleyes:
I laughed at the guy announcing them though. He couldn't even get out that they were going to sing a hippie song on Lawrence Welk.:p

PoohBang

Suspended
Have you looked around here?! This ain't the Hippie Lounge. Hippies are antithetical to the Golden Era.
I realize it's not the hippie lounge.

The Golden Era was full of diverse populations. Probably more so then even today..
I just find it a bit offensive and will kindly ask if you can tone it down on your bias towards them.

Wunnerful! Wunnerful!

And now the Lemmon Sisters will sing that old favorite Another Brick In The Wall. A one and a two...

emoticon-cartoon-013.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82