Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Here's a bit of celebrity histrionics I had a good laugh over. Alexander is another insulated celebrity glossing over the fact ( to the point of sounding like an idiot I might add..) that firearm legislation exists in this country. He says absolutely nothing about any deeper issues at work in society that result in a person committing a violent crime. Instead it's the same old simplistic mantra, "we need to ban assault weapons". Alexander typed out 1700 words and said nothing of worth. Thanks George.

He lost me completely when he resorted to this: "There is no excuse for the propagation of these weapons. They are not guaranteed or protected by our constitution. If they were, then we could all run out and purchase a tank, a grenade launcher, a bazooka, a SCUD missile and a nuclear warhead. We could stockpile napalm and chemical weapons and bomb-making materials in our cellars under our guise of being a militia. "

Yeah, I'd say his "interpretation" of the 2nd amendment is just a bit off.

I had read some place that while the great depression had gangs and the great bank robbers but other than those almost celebrity type criminals actual crimes of violence dropped. Ordinary crimeby ordinary people? The question was pointed towards whether the economics of a time and conditions of poverty always rsults in the rise in violent crime.

Here's a bit of celebrity histrionics I had a good laugh over. Alexander is another insulated celebrity glossing over the fact ( to the point of sounding like an idiot I might add..) that firearm legislation exists in this country. He says absolutely nothing about any deeper issues at work in society that result in a person committing a violent crime. Instead it's the same old simplistic mantra, "we need to ban assault weapons". Alexander typed out 1700 words and said nothing of worth. Thanks George.

People like Mr. Alexander live in gated communities and have platoons of bodyguards. We don't. [huh] :doh:

I had read some place that while the great depression had gangs and the great bank robbers but other than those almost celebrity type criminals actual crimes of violence dropped. Ordinary crimeby ordinary people? The question was pointed towards whether the economics of a time and conditions of poverty always rsults in the rise in violent crime.

I think that has more to do with the morality of the public. Ask yourself if you think it would be the same today if such a situation, God forbid, were thrust upon us.

Feraud

Bartender
Question to Jason Alexander -
Then I get messages from seemingly decent and intelligent people who offer things like: @BrooklynAvi: Guns should only be banned if violent crimes committed with tomatoes means we should ban tomatoes. OR @nysportsguys1: Drunk drivers kill, should we ban fast cars?

Answer -
I have been reading on and off as advocates for these weapons make their excuses all day long. Guns don't kill - people do. Well if that's correct, I go with @BrooklynAvi, let them kill with tomatoes. Let them bring baseball bats, knives, even machetes --- a mob can deal with that.
bold emphasis is mine.

Mr. Alexander doesn't care one whit if mass murder is committed with tomatoes, bats, knives, machetes, just don't use a gun.
I am going to guess this dope is not watching movies in the same theaters you and I use.

There remains a concept that we are supposed to be living in a utopia where nothing bad can happen, there are to be no accidents, no failure of any kind and life is wonderful filled with loving kind people that will always say Good Job! like your 3 years old.

The reality of the matter is that mother nature is cruel, your fellow human beings are capable of horrendous things and that there is a very thin line between civility and mob rules. For some these problems are refleced in the concept much like the evil Boy Scouts - Be prepared.
Others don't realize that they need to shape their lives and be prepared because we got kicked out of Eden. It is not possible for us to recreate it, the idea that if we can just get enough really smart people it will all run as smooth as ever (society / government) is a pipe dream. As long as people dream of power there will be strife. Life is not fair. Bad things will happen.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
There remains a concept that we are supposed to be living in a utopia where nothing bad can happen, there are to be no accidents, no failure of any kind and life is wonderful filled with loving kind people that will always say Good Job! like your 3 years old.

The reality of the matter is that mother nature is cruel, your fellow human beings are capable of horrendous things and that there is a very thin line between civility and mob rules. For some these problems are refleced in the concept much like the evil Boy Scouts - Be prepared.
Others don't realize that they need to shape their lives and be prepared because we got kicked out of Eden. It is not possible for us to recreate it, the idea that if we can just get enough really smart people it will all run as smooth as ever (society / government) is a pipe dream. As long as people dream of power there will be strife. Life is not fair. Bad things will happen.

Yep.

Question to Jason Alexander -

Answer -
bold emphasis is mine.

Mr. Alexander doesn't care one whit if mass murder is committed with tomatoes, bats, knives, machetes, just don't use a gun.
I am going to guess this dope is not watching movies in the same theaters you and I use.

I suppose he forgot to include bombs like that reprehensible character Holmes was prepared to use too. A mob can deal with that too?:rolleyes:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
He lost me completely when he resorted to this: "There is no excuse for the propagation of these weapons. They are not guaranteed or protected by our constitution. If they were, then we could all run out and purchase a tank, a grenade launcher, a bazooka, a SCUD missile and a nuclear warhead. We could stockpile napalm and chemical weapons and bomb-making materials in our cellars under our guise of being a militia. "

Yeah, I'd say his "interpretation" of the 2nd amendment is just a bit off.

Hi

Actually, I think that as originally intended the 2nd amendment did mean colonial tanks, grenade launchers, colonial bazookas etc. Less range on the artillery, fewer neighbors. The whole problem with having your own tank, much less Nuke is to own enough land to practice on. From my limited knowledge Ted Turner MIGHT own enough of Montana to play with tactical nukes (note use of the term MIGHT). The rest of us would just irritate (and irradiate) the neighbors.

There's rights, but they may be impractical to use. Somebody said, "With Rights comes responsibility", wish I remembered who said it.

Hi

Actually, I think that as originally intended the 2nd amendment did mean colonial tanks, grenade launchers, colonial bazookas etc. Less range on the artillery, fewer neighbors. The whole problem with having your own tank, much less Nuke is to own enough land to practice on. From my limited knowledge Ted Turner MIGHT own enough of Montana to play with tactical nukes (note use of the term MIGHT). The rest of us would just irritate (and irradiate) the neighbors.

There's rights, but they may be impractical to use. Somebody said, "With Rights comes responsibility", wish I remembered who said it.

:p

[video=youtube;AKlkD-D20OI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKlkD-D20OI[/video]

Hi

Many people have used the version "with great power comes great responsibility." Many of us remember it from Peter Parker's Uncle Ben in Spiderman comics. That would be attributable to Stan Lee.
However, Voltaire is more than likely the first to use it in 1832.
Christ used: "To those who much is given much is required"
It is a basic tenet that likely goes back even further but I am not extremely familiar with all the Greek philosophers. :p

Last edited:
Christian Bale visits wounded....

599865_10150981702544092_1903641201_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe