Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sat as a juror on a murder trial around thirteen years ago. Two men and the rest women. If I remember correctly the trial lasted for a week and a half to two weeks. It started out ..interesting..then became very traumatic. As the witnesses testified....and the antics in the courtroom progressed..it began to become quite clear of what the verdict would be. With that..emotions ran high. I had nightmares at night..tossing around what was surely coming in a matter of days. When we deliberated several of the women cried...and just dreaded finding the guy guilty. He had shot and killed a rival gang member outside of a nightclub. It wasn't a death penalty trail...but it was an exhausting event. Turned out that it wasn't the least bit interesting,afterall,but only something I wouldn't want to be involved with..ever again. I wasn't required to go to the sentencing...but I heard he got sixty years. I received a jury questionair several years after that...but wrote on it my experiences with that murder trail...and didn't care to serve again. They didn't call me...and haven't hassled me since. I'm glad of that.
HD

Pompidou

One Too Many
I sat as a juror on a murder trial around thirteen years ago. Two men and the rest women. If I remember correctly the trial lasted for a week and a half to two weeks. It started out ..interesting..then became very traumatic. As the witnesses testified....and the antics in the courtroom progressed..it began to become quite clear of what the verdict would be. With that..emotions ran high. I had nightmares at night..tossing around what was surely coming in a matter of days. When we deliberated several of the women cried...and just dreaded finding the guy guilty. He had shot and killed a rival gang member outside of a nightclub. It wasn't a death penalty trail...but it was an exhausting event. Turned out that it wasn't the least bit interesting,afterall,but only something I wouldn't want to be involved with..ever again. I wasn't required to go to the sentencing...but I heard he got sixty years. I received a jury questionair several years after that...but wrote on it my experiences with that murder trail...and didn't care to serve again. They didn't call me...and haven't hassled me since. I'm glad of that.
HD

I can see how that would be stressful. Mine was just a civil case involving bridge construction, supply delivery and contractual obligations. I was either 19 or 20 and the rest of the jury was no less than twice my age. I felt like I had a lot to prove. I don't know how I'd handle a trial where the consequences for the verdict were more than just money changing hands. I'm sort of a bleeding heart.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
A year or so after moving to southern Ohio I was called for jury duty for the first time. (In the military I have been on standby to be on a panel in a courts martial, but that was it.) I was looking forward to seeing how the civilian courts really operated. Unfortunately I made the mistake of dressing what I thought would be appropriate: business casual. In this case, sport coat, dress shirt and trousers, tie, nice shoes, fedora. I was the only man in the pool of jurors who was wearing a shirt with a collar, much less a sport coat! Some of the women did make it a point to dress nicely.

I was the first juror the defending lawyer excused. I'm convinced it was because of how I was dressed--chances were I was not going to be sympathetic towards his drug-dealing client. I was disappointed. It wasn't as if I had a lot else to do for a while as I was unemployed at the time.

Side note: as we were entering the courtroom the bailiff acted as if he was about to tell me to remove my hat, then checked himself as he realized I was already in the process of doing so and gave me a big grin.

Cheers,
Tom

My dad just got a subpoena for another issue we had with vandalism, here. He's curious if we'll get one for this, too. We never knew until the ATM camera at the bank caught him. Apparently, he also broke into some other places. They said he'll be going away for awhile. I hope he gets Judge White, that guy means business.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Well I can tell you, the court systems are not all what many people would think. There are many things that happen between the DA and defense attorneys that is far from legal but done all the time. More or less a "trade off", I will give you this one for those (convictions vs. non convictions). It happens more when you do not have a paid attorney, but happens non the less.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
And to raise another decline in something, shoe laces! Have you noticed that when you need to purchase a new pair of shoe laces, that are about just junk!?! I have a few pair of shoes that are more or less, work shoes (not boots but shoes) and I think I have had to buy shoe laces several times this year. The original shoe laces lasted a long time, but these new ones have no quality in them at all.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
My dad just got a subpoena for another issue we had with vandalism, here. He's curious if we'll get one for this, too. We never knew until the ATM camera at the bank caught him. Apparently, he also broke into some other places. They said he'll be going away for awhile. I hope he gets Judge White, that guy means business.
"Here comes the Judge"...

I gave up on shoes with laces long ago. Dress shoes are loafers or my good cowboy boots, all my other shoes are various forms of cowboy boots.

And to raise another decline in something, shoe laces! Have you noticed that when you need to purchase a new pair of shoe laces, that are about just junk!?! I have a few pair of shoes that are more or less, work shoes (not boots but shoes) and I think I have had to buy shoe laces several times this year. The original shoe laces lasted a long time, but these new ones have no quality in them at all.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
OH shoot, I forgot about these boots, too. The decline in over all quality if those cowboy boots...you know, they no longer make them out of real cowboys!lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust