Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Era -- Day By Day

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the Daily News...

Daily_News_1944_10_01_4.jpg

A musical about Butch? What a great idea!

Daily_News_1944_10_01_64.jpg

Every time I think about putting up wallpaper, I have reason to reconsider.

Daily_News_1944_10_01_137.jpg

From a guy getting run thru the breadbasket with a flagpole to the first reel of a 1937 screwball comedy. Never change, Mr. Gould, we love you exactly as you are.

Daily_News_1944_10_01_139.jpg

"Sure wish Punjab showed me how to do that trick with the blanket..."

Daily_News_1944_10_01_140.jpg

Coming next Sunday -- the zany adventures of Fishy the Fish!

Daily_News_1944_10_01_142.jpg

YOU CHUMP.

Daily_News_1944_10_01_143.jpg
"Mr. Wallet? We're from the Zoning Board."

Daily_News_1944_10_01_145.jpg

Well, that and the fact that you graduated four years ago. Um, you did graduate, didn't you?

Daily_News_1944_10_01_147.jpg

What happened, did the Dragon Lady cut this guy's tongue out too?

Daily_News_1944_10_01_148.jpg

Bandit country? Imagine who we could run into!

The Copacabana agreed yesterday to replace its Manhattan nightclub license with a temporary six-month permit and to pay the city a total of $37,371.34 in business taxes, while leaving unresolved the question of whether purported slot-machine king Frank Costello is a part owner of the club. The payments are to be made in a series of installments, starting with a $10,000 payment yesterday, followed additional payments of $5000 per month until the debt is liquidated. Other provisions of the agreement include a pledge to dismiss from employment and not to reemploy certain specified persons known to have underworld ties.

Will they deduct the $27,200 Costello left in the cab from this business tax bill?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_10_02_1.jpg

("I dunno'f Dewey had anyt'ing t'do wit'tit," declares Sally, "but I r'membeh t'em Social Justice joiks back aroun' t'oity-eight, t'oity-nine. Y'couldn' wawk downa street wit'tout'tm tryna shove t'at doity rag of a papeh in ya face. Hey, r'membeh when'nem Jehovahs haddat meet'n at Madison Squaeh Gawrden, an'nem Coughlins wen'nin'eh'r'n tried t'bust it up? An'awl'ey gawt was t'ehr'own heads busted in?" Awlem pitchehs inna Daily News wit'teh heads awl bandages? Soive'd'm right." "I was outta town'nen," sighs Alice. "Ya missed a lawt," sighs Sally. "I r'membeh one night t'eh, t'ey had t'em Goiman-American Bunds inna Gawrd'n'neh, ya reg'leh Nazis, right? An' Coughlins, an' awlem people. Joe says t'me, he says, 'you ain' gonna go up t'eh'r'n make no trouble awrya.'" "Didja?" queries Alice. "Who," snickers Sally, "me? I didn' t'row no bricks if t'at's whatcha t'inkin'." "I'm s'prised," shrugs Alice. "Seems like you'd..." "No," continues Sally, "I stayed home t'at night an' lissen't'a radio." "You kep' right out of it," marvels Alice. "Yep," nods Sally. "Awl I done was give Jimmy an' Danny two bucks anna brick apiece an' says 'use ya judgement.' Uncle Frank was kin'a soeh when'nee hadda go bail'm out, but he got ovehr'it." "Ah," nods Alice. "Yeh," nods Sally. "T'em two c'n be useful when'ney wanna be. S'a wondeh Ma don' putt'm t'woik inna stoeh." "T'at Flynn guy," comments Alice. "He ain' a Coughlin is 'ee? Din'ee us'teh be tight wit' t' Pres'dent?" "Ahhh, who knows," shrugs Sally. "Awl I know is, somebody otta t'row a brick at'tim." "Yeh," nods Alice. "Belgian pavin' brick." )

Owners of some 650 night clubs in metropolitan New York are suffering from the jitters today over the Police Department's action in withholding renewal of their licenses pending the outcome of seven separate investigations of their activities. So ramified is the probe declared to be that not one of the 1100 license holders in the city's $100,000,000 a year night-life industry assured of escaping the dragnet. Pending the outcome of the probe, police officials declared, the clubs may continue to operate under temporary extensions of their old licenses, similar to those granted those 450 cabarets whose licenses are due to expire next April 1st.

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_10_02_5.jpg

("Ahhh," sighs Ma, laying her book aside on the nightstand. "Jaaaahn Barrymoore." "Hmph," hmphs Uncle Frank, sitting on the side of the bed and kicking off his carpet slippers. "Ye never loiked 'im, didjee Francis?" queries Ma. "A praaancin' fop," snorts Uncle Frank. "Ahhhh, ye joost say that," scoffs Ma. "Remembarr that pitcharr 'Don Juan,' r'membarr when we went t'see that? An' Jahhn Barrymoore's oop thar sword-foightin' an' makin' loov t' Mary Astarrr." "I'da been moor impressed," Uncle Frank argues, swinging his legs into bed, "if 'eed'a doon 'em booth at th' same toime.")

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_10_02_6.jpg

(Carole Landis at Ebbets Field? Can she play second base?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_10_02_8.jpg

(What ever became of judgemental bank tellers?)

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_10_02_13.jpg

(SIGMUND JAKUCKI! SIGMUND JAKUCKI! SIGMUND JAKUCKI! YAAAAAAAAY BROWNS! MOIDEH T'EM CAWRDS! Oh, and nice job Dix.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_10_02_Page_19.jpg

(Don't be smug Mary, it ill becomes -- oh, hell, whatever....)

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_10_02_Page_19(1).jpg

(Fandango in the fifth WHERE? Look, if you're going to give racing tips, you've gotta be specific.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_10_02_Page_19(2).jpg

(You know, it would have been so easy to find the antenna and just cut the wires...)

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_10_02_Page_19(3).jpg

(Yeah, right.)

Brooklyn_Eagle_1944_10_02_Page_19(4).jpg

(Being America's Number One Hero Dog means you have to try harder...)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Daily_News_1944_10_02_352.jpg

At the Germano home on Coney Island Avenue, Mrs. Germano glances up at her son. "Wheh ya goin' Frankie?" she inquires. "Wheh ya goin' awl slicked up?""Ebbets Feel," shrugs Frankie, pausing to smooth his hair. "Somebody I wanna meet."

Daily_News_1944_10_02_368.jpg

NO TIME LIKE THE PRESENT.

Daily_News_1944_10_02_369.jpg

Actually, all he did was plug it in.

Daily_News_1944_10_02_373.jpg
Well now! The last time we saw Sgt. Bloney he was skulking in a cave in Macedonia. Let him talk, I want to hear if he ran into Punjab.

Daily_News_1944_10_02_374.jpg

Hmph. Running to school with your books closed? Goldbrick.

Daily_News_1944_10_02_377.jpg

Yes, by all means, all crooks carry cards. It's the correct thing to do!

Daily_News_1944_10_02_379.jpg

Mr. Clark is hanging around my neighborhood again.

Daily_News_1944_10_02_381.jpg

Another troll from an entire family of trolls.

Daily_News_1944_10_02_383.jpg

Sigh. What a swell role this would have been for Carole Lombard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Insinity