Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

Landman

One Too Many
Great job on those hats guys!

John, I have used Woolite and hand washed in cold water an old Stetson liner with decent results. It didn't fade but you could still see the outline of the sweat stains. I didn't get too aggressive with the hand washing though.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What I ve learned about washing liners is that you want to keep the time to a minimum to avoid washing out any logo imprints. I wash mainly the sides only very gently and working quickly . Rinse cold to get soap out .

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bond, Dogman, John Galt, You guys show some real talent! Love your conversion projects! Excellent work! All three of you! But I particularly like John Galt's Resistol / ROTLA Indy conversion, (especially since it's my hat he's converting for me)! ;)

DOGMAN

One Too Many
ManofKent,T Jones,John Galt,splintercellsz,gentlemen you all are to kind.It's so much fun I can't stop buying these cowboy hats.T Jones I agree with you,I like your conversion.John Galt did a great job with that hat.

John Galt

Vendor
ManofKent,T Jones,John Galt,splintercellsz,gentlemen you all are to kind.It's so much fun I can't stop buying these cowboy hats.T Jones I agree with you,I like your conversion.John Galt did a great job with that hat.

Not done yet ;-) Terry, I'll call you with a progress report...

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
Cross-posting from "My Shameless Copy", but I won't bother posting all of the shots again. Just a before and after.

As received:
Santa_Hat_2_zpsa201313d.jpg

Finished product:
Santa_Hat_10_zpsa2050ab5.jpg

Thanks again, John Galt, for the idea.

BlackMaskPulp

New in Town
This thread has inspired me to give one of these conversions a try. I started out with a silver belly Biltmore 7x off the 'bay. The felt is really nice albeit stiff in the brim. I picked it because it already had a fedora-like bow.

I meant to keep the binding to sew back on but I was a little overzealous and cut it with the stitch remover a couple of times. After ironing the brim I made a 3 inch guide and marked around the brim.

Then I started cutting.

Sanded down with 320. I didn't go to higher grits because I wasn't sure if a 3 inch brim is for me. You can't put it back on!
Steamed a crease more to my liking and tried to curl the back of the brim up.

I kept it pretty simple for my first time (just a brim cutting really) and I'm very happy with how it turned out. Any suggestions or constructive criticisms? What do you think of the 3 inch brim? Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Strapped-4-Cache,Nice holiday hat.That's probably what Santa wears off season.BlackMaskPulp,good first try.I like my brims between 3 inches and 2 1/2 inches wide.Good luck conversions can be contagious,I'm working on my 15th hat now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe