Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Hopefully, pretty soon now, I'll have something different other than Open Roads! Here's a 4X Resistol that I sent off to a fellow Lounger to have converted to a ROTLA Indy fedora. John Galt has been working on it for me, and so far, from the pics he sent me, the hat is looking totally awesome! He's down to putting on the double bow and doing the brim for that ROTLA look! I can't wait to get it! Here's some pics he sent me at different stages of the progress...I'll let John Galt walk us through the process of the work if he sees this post...

1). Indy Conversion 01.jpg
2). Indy Conversion 02.jpg
3). Indy Conversion 03.jpg
4). Almost there! Add the double bow and a little work on the brim...
Indy Resistol 4Xconversion.jpg

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Richard, RJR, Thanks guys. From the looks of the pics I think John G. has done a fantastic job with it so far. I'll be sending him a 4X Open Road to work on next when he gets the Indy finished.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Here's a couple comparison pics of the actual ROTLA fedora and the one John Galt is doing for me....Check out the similar profiles of the two hats...

ROTLA.jpg

Indy Conversion 03.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
Thanks guys. Terry has been very patient with my work & home schedule interfering with my hat passion. Here are some more pics...

u7a7amag.jpg

3e6utyzu.jpg

Before & after ribbon dying.

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

John Galt

Vendor
Dying in process:

a6ymamap.jpg

New sweat from JW hats. Thanks again to The Dane, The Hatted Professor & the other fellas who explained how to properly reed the hat. I get it now.

a2y3u5eb.jpg

No pics of the brim ironing or foot shaping, but the JW hats YouTube video helped there, and the hat irons I picked up & posted in the hatter's tools thread.

It's actually amazing how much these things matter. I want to go back & re-do some of my first project hats. First, to finish the "Indy Hat."

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
As received

y2uhese8.jpg

ysy6y9yp.jpg

dy5e4a3u.jpg

Reblocking (thanks to The Dane for the hatter's knot images)

y7u4ava7.jpg

4y6amebu.jpg

sy4ymupy.jpg

It's looking really great John G. I remember when I first sent it to you. The crown was so tapered, it looked like a witch's hat! But you've got it looking awesome and it looks completely different! I can't wait to wear it! When this one's completed I have the 4X Open Road ready to send you for the next conversion project! ;)
You're doing an awesome job!

John Galt

Vendor
Thanks Terry & MoK! I grew up in a very crafty household, so working with my hands really relaxes me. If I just had more time...

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good work guys.
Here's an older Open Road that was really dirty and grimy. Felt turned out very well after two gas baths. Original ribbon has been flipped. I put in a new sweat and washed the liner carefully. Steamed and shaped.
Sigh of relief that it came out looking ok. Really nice felt on these older hats make it worth while.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe