Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
So, I am working on converting an old Bailey Firehole that I have, into something with a bit higher and straighter crown, and less of a brim. The kicker is that I am doing this with no tools whatsoever, and not trimming anything.
Here is a before pic. Notice the low crown, severe taper (probably the result of the abuse it took mountain climbing), and just general lack of shape in the hat.
Photo250.jpg

And here is how I am "reblocking" it. I use the term very loosely.
Photo272.jpg

Yes that is a jar that used to hold biscotti, and a leather belt. Very high tech and sophisticated.

Here is the result of that, with an open crown, but a disaster of a brim.
Photo273.jpg

and here is another pic, with a bit of shape in the crown.
Photo275.jpg

So at this point, I just need to work out the brim, most likely will be done with an iron, and find a decent ribbon, and probably tweak the crown a bit more. Anyone have a spare ribbon, in awful condition, that they want to send my way, or advice on how to finish this conversion with no real tools?

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Bailey

So this hat does not want to play nice. At the end of the day, it has ended up about what it originally was, but a little messier. This is still an improvement on what it was before I started working on it, but nowhere near the conversion I wanted. When they say crushable, they really mean it.

Photo277.jpg

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
So my Bailey Firehole has finally played nice, and i finished the brim and crown work on it. Well, I still have a little problem with them lining up, but that is not a big deal. Now I just need my ribbon.

Here it is, with a belt around it helping it form its shape. It does still want to go back to being an outback.
Photo282.jpg

And just as a reminder, here is what it used to be.
Photo250.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
The front view of this hat was bothering me. Initially, I thought it was too high. But every time I tried to bring it down it just looked 'wrong.' So, I wet it again, and changed the sides and the type of top dent, and now it is much more pleasing to my eye from all angles. Compare with similar angle pic on the previous page. Im happy and will leave it alone.

0402002026.jpg

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
scottyrocks said:
The front view of this hat was bothering me. Initially, I thought it was too high. But every time I tried to bring it down it just looked 'wrong.' So, I wet it again, and changed the sides and the type of top dent, and now it is much more pleasing to my eye from all angles. Compare with similar angle pic on the previous page. Im happy and will leave it alone.

0402002026.jpg

I don't think the crown is too high at all; it looks good on you.

FWIW, you might consider using sandpaper on the fresh-cut edge of the brim. This will erase any slight imperfections produced in the cutting and will create a nice half-round edge on the brim.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Here is the finished product, still less than perfect, but I think that it is a marked improvement.
Photo289.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Wolfmanjack said:
I don't think the crown is too high at all; it looks good on you.

FWIW, you might consider using sandpaper on the fresh-cut edge of the brim. This will erase any slight imperfections produced in the cutting and will create a nice half-round edge on the brim.

It wasnt too high in this picture. It was too high in an earlier picture. This picture was after the latest reshaping. I love it this way.

Thanks for the sandpaper tip. I'll give it a rub tomorrow.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
St.Ignatz said:
Still kinda looks well, kinda western. ;)

Good point, but just for comparison, here it is with my dad's hat of the same model.
Hatcomparison.jpg

If I had better tools, I would have blocked it just a little bit higher and straighter, with slightly less brim, but I am pleased with what I got.

AndrewGWU

Familiar Face
First conversion...

I just wanted to share my first hat, which is also my first conversion. My father had an old moth eaten Bailey western hat which was in pretty poor shape. I cut the brim down and steamed and reshaped the crease into a teardrop shape. I want to eventually replace the ribbon down the road, but am not sure I can make it look good. Anyway, its just an old beater, but i have fallen in love with wearing it.

Hat002.jpg

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Looks good. Do you have any before photos?

Also, it seems that we like to abuse Baileys.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
AndrewGWU said:
I just wanted to share my first hat, which is also my first conversion. My father had an old moth eaten Bailey western hat which was in pretty poor shape. I cut the brim down and steamed and reshaped the crease into a teardrop shape. I want to eventually replace the ribbon down the road, but am not sure I can make it look good. Anyway, its just an old beater, but i have fallen in love with wearing it.

Hat002.jpg
Nice job. I'm sure a fellow lounger would take that ribbon off your hands when you re do. What size?
Tom D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82