Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

humanshoes

One Too Many
Looks really good Bond. Dye job, brim binding, ribbon work, and trolley cord all first rate. Looks like you've gotten the sweatband belling procedure down pat.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I got one off eBay for a decent price (the block and flange). Haven't used either at the moment, but I feel like it was money well spent.

I got mine that way too. The flange works great, but the block that came with it is too tapered for my taste. I won't use that block. Fortunately, I have another block that's fairly straight sided, which I use instead.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's a mistaken purchase thought I was buying a fur felt hat turned out to be a vintage Wool hat. Came to me in a cattlemans shape with a thin ribbon so I experimented on converting it to this . Brim is 3 1/8. Honestly not a bad hat for a wool job felt is dense and it holds its new shape nicely.

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Bond,I have did the same thing.Thought I was getting a fur felt but it was wool.Converted it to a fedora and a friend of mine liked it.Now it's his.Nice work on your hat.

javadave61

Practically Family
Here's a quick shot of a second Akubra Stockman conversion. I enjoyed turning my last one into a Fed IV Jr, so I picked up a beige (fawn?) Stockman cheap on the bay and trimmed the brim to my favorite 2 1/2 inches and threw on my trusty ole blue pug that seems to want to go on every hat I have. It was supposed to be temporary until I decided on what grosgrain ribbon I was going to use, but hey, I kinda like this.

This Stockman didn't have quite the amount of crown to work with as my other one, but I think overall it is quite proportional to my face. This imperial felt is great to work with. Very smooth. The smoothest Akubra felt I've handled thus far. It was very stiff at first, but once the steam hit it, it softened up nicely and stayed that way. It formed to my head like a glove.

2015-08-19_22.18.04.jpg 20150819_222409.jpg

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice one Dave! I threw my Fed on my 52 block the other day and steamed it to straighten the sides back out. Worked great. That imperial felt is good stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82