Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

Brian Niebuhr

One of the Regulars
Big beards tend to make wide brim hats look more natural. I agree with Joao anything under 3" is a fez. Haha. I think I look best with around 3 1/2" brim. I love the bigger 4 to 5" brims and wear them from time to time but they bump around and drive me crazy. They also don't look as good on me unless I have a beard.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
:pound:

LOVE it!
;)

Big beards tend to make wide brim hats look more natural. I agree with Joao anything under 3" is a fez. Haha. I think I look best with around 3 1/2" brim. I love the bigger 4 to 5" brims and wear them from time to time but they bump around and drive me crazy. They also don't look as good on me unless I have a beard.
Thank you for your... support. I only bump into things with the 5" brim hats.

I forgot to add that I do like a hat with nice crown/brim proportions, for example I don't like the looks of a size 7 with a 5" brim as it looks too wide. Even with a 4" brim it looks too wide, the crown seems a bit "lost" in such a brim size. Crown height also matters, to me big brim = big crown. The folclore groups in my Country wears wide brim hats but with such a low crown that doesn't appeal to me. I might get one because it's from my Country.
Here is one example (actually 3) of those hats:
barra01.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
;)

Thank you for your... support. I only bump into things with the 5" brim hats.

I forgot to add that I do like a hat with nice crown/brim proportions, for example I don't like the looks of a size 7 with a 5" brim as it looks too wide. Even with a 4" brim it looks too wide, the crown seems a bit "lost" in such a brim size. Crown height also matters, to me big brim = big crown. The folclore groups in my Country wears wide brim hats but with such a low crown that doesn't appeal to me. I might get one because it's from my Country.
Here is one example (actually 3) of those hats:
barra01.jpg

I didn't know there were Amish in Portugal. I thought most of them lived in Pennsylvania and Ohio.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Not a conversion, more of a "collage" of loungers donated "hat parts".
My Dobbs West Stagecoach is more completed now with the addition of a Stagecoach liner donated by DOGMAN. The hatband was donated by Richard (ManofKent).
dobbs11.jpg

dobbs12.jpg

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Not a conversion, more of a "collage" of loungers donated "hat parts".
My Dobbs West Stagecoach is more completed now with the addition of a Stagecoach liner donated by bond. The hatband was donated by Richard (ManofKent).
dobbs11.jpg

dobbs12.jpg
Nothing like having spare parts around to make a complete hat! That really came together!

Don't know if this is the right thread to display my efforts, but I just put this teardrop crease in an old Dobbs straw that previously had a centerdent. It had a pretty high crown, and was starting to develop a LOT of taper to it, which, along with the super stingy (1 1/2") brim was not looking too cool anymore. Now it's 4" at the pinch, rising to 5" on the sides and tapering off to 3 3/4" in back, and the sides are straightened up considerably. It's like a whole new hat. Next I'm going to attempt a new band, maybe made from an old necktie. I'd like something with a little pattern to it.
40374d36d958227323c4a8eda8e9534e.jpg

Still a little damp.
22eda9abf2c148f631ad4f0df9e7ff55.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
Huzzah! Well done!

I've done this, and it isn't easy.

A block really helps, and heavily shellacked hats are even harder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe