Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Joao,

Thank you for your comment on the renovation.

You do some nice things. The only way this could be done was to ask the seller to send a hat to you, then you send it to me. Flying across the atlantic is not cheap.

Getting the sweat wet might work, but if it's very dry it may cause it to wrinkle into a "slinky." If you try that, make sure to condition the leather well first.

Scrap booking stores sell a product that dissolves glue - that might be worth a try.

Otherwise, if you want to retain the same sweat, you might be forced to "skin" the two ends apart as suggested above.

There's a good chance you'll end up putting in a new sweat.

I often snip the identifying characteristics from old sweats and glue them under a new sweatband with spray glue. That's another option if you want to save the provenance of the hat. I have no other suggestions, sadly.

The leather seem to be in very good condition, I see no pealing, no crasking and it's very flexible.
I would not like to put solvents on leather. Who knows how those react. I might try "skinning" it or wetting it.
Thanks.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I finally decided on a ribbon for my Western conversion. I chose an 1 5/8 medium brown ribbon with double bow. The center dent crown on this hat is creased at 5 inches tall, 4 1/2 inches at the pinch and 4 inches at the back....

Western_Conversion_01.jpg

Western_Conversion_02.jpg

Western_Conversion_03.jpg

Western_Conversion_04.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
John. Ole, Harv, Joao, thanks guys, I appreciate the feed back. I have some tweaking to do yet on the ribbon and may even change it out again, to a Burgandy color, not sure yet.

John G:
Terry, if you throw it in the box with the others, I'll flange a fedora curl in it...
Thanks John. I may take you up on that. I may have the brim cut down a little more too while you have it, (2 3/4 - 2 7/8)? It's at 3 inches right now. I orginally thought about keeping it more Western / Fedorish looking and was going to put a thinner ribbon on it, but it wouldn't look too awfully bad as just a fedora either.

Ole:
Nice work, Terry. With a flanging by John, it would be very sharp! The old Zenith sure compliments it - looks like a 1939/40 8-S-463. Beautiful console
Thanks buddy. I'll probably send it out and have him flange it for me....You have a good eye. That's exactly what the radio is. My Grandmother bought it brand new from a neighborhood furniture store way back when. She gave it to me sometime back in the early 1980s. The console is still in very good condition.

Harv:
Terry, that is a gorgeous conversion. Nice, nice work.
Thanks Harv. I have just a little more tweaking to do to it yet.

Joao:
Nice work Terry.
Thanks Joao. I'm still not sure about the ribbon choice though. I may change it out to a different color.

Richard,
Thanks buddy. Looking forward to seeing yours when you've finished. The Stagecoaches have awesome felt.

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
John G: Thanks John. I may take you up on that. I may have the brim cut down a little more too while you have it, (2 3/4 - 2 7/8)? It's at 3 inches right now. I orginally thought about keeping it more Western / Fedorish looking and was going to put a thinner ribbon on it, but it wouldn't look too awfully bad as just a fedora either.
I wished you haven't trimmed the "original" brim...

Joao:
Thanks Joao. I'm still not sure about the ribbon choice though. I may change it out to a different color.
I think Burgandy was the most chosen color from TFL members so try it :)

Joao - did you pounce the felt to get a lighter/thinner hat?
Why would I do that? I do like the different thickness of the felts. The only poucing I'll do it's to remove (or disguise) moth bites on the Stetson-Winchester.
Do you need help? If so, better ask John Galt for advice.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Why would I do that? I do like the different thickness of the felts. The only poucing I'll do it's to remove (or disguise) moth bites on the Stetson-Winchester.
Do you need help? If so, better ask John Galt for advice.

Sorry Joao - I meant to direct my question at Terry, blame it on lack of caffeine.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not really a conversion as I just finished this one today. Had a request for a tall crown and wide flat brim so here's what I came up with. Color is bone, crown ribbon is silver belly and binding is Muffalone . Wind cord matches felt. Brim is 3". Liner is silk.

TomS

One Too Many
Not really a conversion as I just finished this one today. Had a request for a tall crown and wide flat brim so here's what I came up with. Color is bone, crown ribbon is silver belly and binding is Muffalone . Wind cord matches felt. Brim is 3". Liner is silk.

What a great piece of workmanship, Bond! You continue to provide a great product! Thanks for what you do, sir!

TomS

One Too Many
It may be the light, but to me it seems, like the sweatband has ended up too far up in the back(?)

Dane, I'm sure we'd all like to see some of your work posted. Clearly you are a master craftsman, although I don't recall ever seeing anything you've done?.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82