Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes David , carefully iron brim use ironing cloth steam . Set with kahl stiffener then shape with steam is how I do it.

bond

Here's a venerable older Wormser homburg I just completed . Was t sure if this one was going to make it or not as it needed a lot of help. Started by flipping felt inside out, trimmed brim back as that was tore 1/4. It's at 23/8 now. Added new ribbons of course . Re sized up from 73/8- to 71/2
Before and after pics

Geldoc

One of the Regulars
Thanks JG and Bond. I've got a flange, which works great for felts. I'm trying for a flatter brim on straws. I use a gelatin solution for stiffening straws; I brush it on. I'll try the iron - add stiffener - steam - flatten sequence. I know there is art to this, which I simply haven't (yet, I hope) mastered.

bond

Thanks guys , I like this color a lot too it's more of a reddish warm medium brown here's a better pic that's more accurate.

John Galt

Vendor
Thanks JG and Bond. I've got a flange, which works great for felts. I'm trying for a flatter brim on straws. I use a gelatin solution for stiffening straws; I brush it on. I'll try the iron - add stiffener - steam - flatten sequence. I know there is art to this, which I simply haven't (yet, I hope) mastered.

For flat brims, probably something like Hatter4's finishing bench:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=1750937

John Galt

Vendor
I like that conversion Bond. I've not turned one inside out yet, but keep threatening. I did once re-block a Ritch Rand OR clone with a hole in the crown that I picked up for $25 and put a grommet in the hole and another on the other side (actually, I put a total three on each side) as suggested in the Ermatinger book. It worked well - kind of like magic.

"Faint hat never won fair lady"

bond

Thanks guys. This is the narrowest brim binding I've attempted to date and not sure if I can go less than a 1/2 with my current set up , but I am pretty happy with how this one turned out overall. As far as flipping felt inside out JG its a crap shoot sometimes it works sometimes not, this one was un finished inside so I had to do a fair amount of sanding to get it to match the brim. The felt was so faded on original side out that I was seriously thinking of pitching it in the trash and when I tore the brim while pulling off the old binding I thought I ruined the hat completely but fortunately trimming the brim back worked out ok.

Last edited:

bond

Thanks DMan. Here's a Borso that I just finished up . It was in pretty rough shape with a busted up sweatband and a torn ribbon. Came as a 7 1/4 so I re sized it with my recently acquired 7 1/2 block.
Added a blue /grey ribbon with matching wind cord. Color on sticker calls this one Palladio

bond

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. I appreciate hearing your thoughts.
Mr Astor , the sweat is a standard reeded sweat . Here's pics per your request

bond

Thanks again DMan. I think its your turn to post one sooner or later . Have any in the works?
Rusty you have a point there, I might have to make up a label and stick it under the sweatband so when I am long gone others will have an idea of what all of these freak hats are .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe