Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

GregNYC

One Too Many
"NYC Cap Report"

I went walking through the city this evening, visiting the downtown area. (I wanted to see some new "skinny" caps from Doria, who has been making caps for Borsalino).

Anyway, my report is this. Below 23rd St in the East Village, I noticed lots of newsboys, ivy caps and duckbills. Taken all together, these caps outnumbered baseball caps about 5 to 1 in that area of the city. I don't mind saying that I was glad to see this! I saw a bowler and several fedoras too. In all, there were just s lot of hats in the East Village.

Those numbers began to reverse themselves when I moved back towards midtown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
"NYC Cap Report"

I went walking through the city this evening, visiting the downtown area. (I wanted to see some new "skinny" caps from Doria, who has been making caps for Borsalino).

Anyway, my report is this. Below 23rd St in the East Village, I noticed lots of newsboys, ivy caps and duckbills. Taken all together, these caps outnumbered baseball caps about 5 to 1 in that area of the city. I don't mind saying that I was glad to see this! I saw a bowler and several fedoras too. In all, there were just s lot of hats in the East Village.

Those numbers began to reverse themselves when I moved back towards midtown.

Interesting, Greg. I keep tabs like that, too, wherever I am.

GregNYC

One Too Many
Ratio of hats to caps in your weekly rotation?

For me, about 50-50 in a given week. I began with straw hats in August, fur-felts in September, and caps in October. I had zero caps till about 6 weeks ago. I didn't know how much I'd like caps, so it upped the ratio for me during a given week...

DamianM

Vendor
Wearing the 8 pleated cap on a chilly morning which calls for a shawl collar

560202_361689444008633_7013308459288351636_n.jpg

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
My newest, from one of my favorite patterns - the sharp-darted 'L'Aronde' 1910s/20s French-style casquette. This fabric is 1940's wool/synthetic auto upholstery! Wild stuff - it totally changes as the wearer moves. 1930's buttons, cotton drill liner, leather sweatband, full leather visor, vintage snap.

I'll be selling one of these when my - shop! - opens in the next 2 weeks. Spilled the beans, I did.

l_aronde-40s-auto-1.jpg

l_aronde-40s-auto-2.jpg

l_aronde-40s-auto-3.jpg

l_aronde-40s-auto-4.jpg

l_aronde-40s-auto-5.jpg

l_aronde-40s-auto-6.jpg

l_aronde-40s-auto-7.jpg

l_aronde-40s-auto-8.jpg

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
1mach1 - I have a few more to make to get my online presence ready, so in about two weeks time I will be out there for all to see.

On another note, I'm having conversations with Damian regarding the "Frenchness" of the pointy dart caps. While I have seen many early examples of caps in France that have that pronounced shape, he rightly pointed me to several references that show it's not only a French thing.

Keith Lo Bue.
Jeweler, Artisan, Stuffsmith.
http://lobue-art.com
http://keithlobue.com

DamianM

Vendor
1mach1 - I have a few more to make to get my online presence ready, so in about two weeks time I will be out there for all to see.

On another note, I'm having conversations with Damian regarding the "Frenchness" of the pointy dart caps. While I have seen many early examples of caps in France that have that pronounced shape, he rightly pointed me to several references that show it's not only a French thing.

Keith Lo Bue.
Jeweler, Artisan, Stuffsmith.
http://lobue-art.com
http://keithlobue.com

Yes, discussions are great to have. We learn much more this way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld