Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Mario, i'm sure you know it's very rare to find a cap with that type of jazzy French fabric in an adult size.
last time i was in Paris all i saw were child-size deadstock ones. you're the envy of all of us with that find !

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Mario, i'm sure you know it's very rare to find a cap with that type of jazzy French fabric in an adult size.
last time i was in Paris all i saw were child-size deadstock ones. you're the envy of all of us with that find !

Oh well, I'm so happy that I could snatch this one. Bela will take a closer look at it so maybe he can learn something for his own future caps... ;)

Eh...what exactly do you mean when you say child-size?

Edward

Bartender
Two that just arrived this morning (ignore the unshaven, undressed dummy on which they are perched for photographic purposes....):

First up, one under the Whiteley name. Didn't catch it in the photo, but this one has a very small, leather patch on the bottom outside rear, which bears the silhouette of a biplane. The "Gatsby" model. The colour is listed as "stone" - it's a sort of yellowy / creamy tan. Great colour. The fabric is 80% wool, 20% poly - very soft and pleasant to the touch. eBay, new, GBP15.00.

IMG_20120927_105413.jpg

IMG_20120927_105421.jpg

IMG_20120927_1055211.jpg

Secondly, one of the caps that Aero are selling under their "Aero Clothing" setion of the website. GBP25.00, Harris Tweed. It's actually a Failsworth branded cap, and very nice indeed. Not quite as much body as the Hepville cap I bought from Mario a while ago - measured flat, I'd say it's about 1.5" narrower. Compares very favourably to my B! Wear cap. The latter scores with the wire in the brim making it shapeable. It also has a suede band, where this is a cloth, though I'm not sold one way or the other on that as a plus or not. Neat fit. Extremely pleased with the quality of this cap at that price - at least as good as many others I have handled at over double the price. Certified Harris Tweed. Quilted lining is a nice plus - not many caps are as nicely lined as this one IME.

IMG_20120927_105340.jpg

IMG_20120927_105349.jpg

IMG_20120927_1056151-1.jpg

IMG_20120927_105608.jpg

IMG_20120927_105633-2.jpg

Interesting little bit on the hisory of the company on the label - seems they started out with felt hats, then moved into wool caps as the market shifted that way in the fifties...

IMG_20120927_105643-2.jpg

(For those of you who may be asking, Jackie Stewart is a Scottish former racing driver, best known for Formula One and his three world championship victories during his career in the late Sixties / early Seventies. A wool flatcap has long been his trademark (no idea whether he just likes it or was covering a bald spot!). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Stewart)

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
[video=vimeo;49672614]http://vimeo.com/49672614[/video]

This is for Beam jackets but it is mostly about Malloy and Sons Donegal tweed.
Johnny is now hooked up to get this fabric it is a bit pricey but worth it great stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
centurionslut