Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

SnowyViking

New in Town
This is my Jaxon & James english derby/bowler hat
20240720_154319.jpg
20240720_154418.jpg
20240720_154359.jpg
20240720_154428.jpg

I can’t stop buying black bowler / derby hats. This one was cheap and my size. Unknown maker (missing the liner tip and nothing behind the sweat).

After a quick initial dusting.

View attachment 632664

View attachment 632665

View attachment 632666

View attachment 632667

View attachment 632668

View attachment 632669

Stay tuned — I have another black bowler on the way.
I have an old Stetson Bowler that a client sent to me to restore. Turns out it is not really a felt hat. It is a plastic shell with a felt glued on top or felt fibres sprayed onto the shell. No real experience with Bowlers, don't own one. Have you seen this before? The crown/brim ribbon is glued on as was the leather sweat. No stitching as it could not penetrate the plastic core.

I have an old Stetson Bowler that a client sent to me to restore. Turns out it is not really a felt hat. It is a plastic shell with a felt glued on top or felt fibres sprayed onto the shell. No real experience with Bowlers, don't own one. Have you seen this before? The crown/brim ribbon is glued on as was the leather sweat. No stitching as it could not penetrate the plastic core.
That is a purpose built cheap parade or festival hat. Not a "real" hat by any means. Doubt it is a Stetson. All I have seen have not been marked beyond an occasional centennial or town festival markings.....I have seen versions dating back to the 30's or so.......though the older ones tend to be fleeced cardboard or paper mache rather than plastic.

That is a purpose built cheap parade or festival hat. Not a "real" hat by any means. Doubt it is a Stetson. All I have seen have not been marked beyond an occasional centennial or town festival markings.....I have seen versions dating back to the 30's or so.......though the older ones tend to be fleeced cardboard or paper mache rather than plastic.
This one had a Stetson tip liner in it plus a Stetson logo's leather sweat band. It sure feels like a plastic shell as I can press on it, deform it and it snaps back. My thought is: a plastic shell with a sprayed on 'felting' material. It is old, as the ribbon is decent quality, not a cheap costume ribbon but a real ribbon and bow work. It appears to be a real Bowler until it is picked up and squeezed and then plastic becomes evident.

This one had a Stetson tip liner in it plus a Stetson logo's leather sweat band. It sure feels like a plastic shell as I can press on it, deform it and it snaps back. My thought is: a plastic shell with a sprayed on 'felting' material. It is old, as the ribbon is decent quality, not a cheap costume ribbon but a real ribbon and bow work. It appears to be a real Bowler until it is picked up and squeezed and then plastic becomes evident.
Are you sure it is not a very thin felt then (scratching the inside surface will tell you)? They pressed the crowns of those in hydraulic presses......I posted an image of the process some time ago. Also, often the unlined hats were shellacked on the inside (which would create a plastic like feel).

Otherwise Flexible flocked plastic would not date much before the mid 60's. And I have seen NO evidence of any made or licensed by Stetson...........ever. (Though I have seen some REALLY cheap crap licensed and sold in Europe......but all that is fairly recent make, and no Bowlers, and again, ONLY Europe.)

Do you have any pictures?

EDIT: with all the gluing, someone could have dressed up their parade hat with components from a real one that was otherwise destroyed/did not fit.....or even to fake or fool someone......

Last edited:

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads