Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Borsalino&Co.

New in Town
A picture from the Borsalino museum in Alessandria. Next time I'll take more pictures and from the male stalls, promise ;)
thumbnail_image0(1).jpg

M.M.

New in Town
Hi,

I'm new to the lounge here, but I've read a good number of pages and gazed at a lot of beautiful hats.

My grandfather gave me a hat years ago, probably 20 odd years, when I visited. I plucked a hat from his hat shelf and he told me he wouldn't need it anymore. He passed away years ago.

The hat is way too small for me, but I did wear it occasionally, which made it fall apart slowly. When he gave it to me he said it was from the thirties, which I never really believed. It is a Borsalino.

Now, years later, I suddenly realised I want to own a hat like that in good condition, so I did some research and bought a second hand one. It's a modern one, but I still like it. From my limited knowledge it is rather similar. Judging from some of the posts, this one could be from 2007. Photos below.
20241004_164351.jpg

20241004_164401.jpg
20241004_164411.jpg
20241004_164538.jpg

But that's not the real subject here. Below are some picture of my grandfather's hat. It's in bad shape. I never saw a lining and the sweatband has completely come loose. Also I lost the bow, it had it when I first got it.
I thought about getting it fixed up, but then it still is too small for my head and it would be merely a decoration piece.
From the pictures, can we know when it was made?

20241004_164911.jpg
20241004_164902.jpg

20241004_164727.jpg

20241004_164831.jpg

20241004_164757.jpg

Hi,

I'm new to the lounge here, but I've read a good number of pages and gazed at a lot of beautiful hats.

My grandfather gave me a hat years ago, probably 20 odd years, when I visited. I plucked a hat from his hat shelf and he told me he wouldn't need it anymore. He passed away years ago.

The hat is way too small for me, but I did wear it occasionally, which made it fall apart slowly. When he gave it to me he said it was from the thirties, which I never really believed. It is a Borsalino.

Now, years later, I suddenly realised I want to own a hat like that in good condition, so I did some research and bought a second hand one. It's a modern one, but I still like it. From my limited knowledge it is rather similar. Judging from some of the posts, this one could be from 2007. Photos below.
View attachment 645388

View attachment 645390 View attachment 645389 View attachment 645391

But that's not the real subject here. Below are some picture of my grandfather's hat. It's in bad shape. I never saw a lining and the sweatband has completely come loose. Also I lost the bow, it had it when I first got it.
I thought about getting it fixed up, but then it still is too small for my head and it would be merely a decoration piece.

View attachment 645401 View attachment 645392

View attachment 645402
View attachment 645403
View attachment 645404
How much too small is the hat? The felt looks to be in OK shape. If the hat has great sentimental value consider commissioning a restoration. If interested send me PM. I love restoring vintage hats.

Mean Eyed Matt

One Too Many
Hi,

View attachment 645388

View attachment 645402
View attachment 645403
View attachment 645404
The label actually suggests the late 30s/40s to me.
But others will surely be able to say more precisely.

Hi,

View attachment 645388

View attachment 645402
View attachment 645403
View attachment 645404
First of all: welcome to the lounge. That label really is in tatters but if we look closely it does fit the period 1936-1953. From the first letters below left we can conclude that the colour is Rutenio. The model name below right is difficult to make out but I'm going for Eglesti, which we have not seen before. We know of a model called Eglesca and one called Eglespo, but that is not what I see here and the "sti" ending on model names is quite common. The riddle of what the names mean has not been solved (yet).
Interesting heirloom and enough brim there to size it up to fit you and give it a second life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPDuran