Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

luxmatic

New in Town
I picked this up about a month ago; just getting around to posting it. Darn I love this hat. I see what all the hype is about on the older Borsalino felt.

I dry creased this hat with ease. It amazed me how easily it will shape, and how well it holds the shaping.
referencephotosblock010.jpg
Great reshaping!

I just acquired my first Borsalino, the same style and colour as yours. It was tagged by the shop as deadstock 1940's but I think it may be 1950's. Has 2 original price tags attached to the sweatband, price $20. The label on the lining is dark with gold text. The size tag is cloth. I will add some pics a bit later when I am back where I am staying. Currently on tour and in San Francisco.

It's a gorgeous hat and has garnered me many compliments so far. It's the first fedora I've felt comfortable wearing. My favorite hat up until now was a brown vintage Knox porkpie.

Found this site while trying to figure out the real vintage of the Borsa I just got. When I can post some pics I hope some of you with more experience in matters Borsa can help me identify it more closely! Cheers.

luxmatic

New in Town
photo.JPG

photo-1.JPG

photo-2.JPG

photo-3.JPG

photo-4.JPG

tagged as 40's deadstock. cloth size label. price tag intact - $20. printed on sweatband Lundstrom, San Francisco.

love this hat! sorry for the low-res iPhone photos.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Borsalinos like that sold at the same price ($20) for 40 years?
I don't know that it is the original sticker. I've seen hats with all kinds of price stickers. I have a Borsalino with the original price crossed out and marked to half-price.
Honestly I think its 50's-60's but the hat stayed the same during that period and thats the most generic liner sweatband and price label to be found. Probably could have been $20.00 from original shop through the 60's, 70's as a mark down.

found this ad info: Display Ad 19 -- No Title‎
Pay-Per-View - Chicago Tribune - Sep 8, 1959
... ship and distinguished appearance Knox Borsalino and Cavanagh Youll find ... B o r s a I i n o Alessandria pinch rout has wider brim and narrow band $20 ...

Last edited:

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Now I follow your logic (and I don't disagree).

Expanding the discussion a bit, Have you collected data on the more or less common American retail prices of basic Borsalinos through the decades?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Now I follow your logic (and I don't disagree).

Expanding the discussion a bit, Have you collected data on the more or less common American retail prices of basic Borsalinos through the decades?

Its a good idea for a project. I've been too cheap to delve into the pervasive "pay per view" ad listings.
Price stickers can however be like boxes and loose receipts---hard to know if they are the originals.

Last edited:

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Its a good idea for a project. I've been too cheap to delve into the pervasive "pay per view" ad listings.

Too cheap?! Dude, I find that hard to believe. Still, I do follow what you mean. Someone around here must must subscribe to some of these data bases. It would be an interesting project. Nudge nudge hint hint ... ;)

luxmatic

New in Town
hey fella's, i haven't yet actually shown the original price that is in the hat, but will post a pic as soon as i can get a close up show that isn't blurry, which means using my DSLR. it's not actually a sticker, it's physically attached to the sweatband.

appreciating the conversation, nonetheless. :)

It would also be helpful to see a photo of the Borsalino paper tag behind the sweatband (rear side) . It should have the size and model information. Should look something like this.

5199630040_0ccd0aedf0_b.jpg

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
hey fella's, i haven't yet actually shown the original price that is in the hat, but will post a pic as soon as i can get a close up show that isn't blurry, which means using my DSLR. it's not actually a sticker, it's physically attached to the sweatband.

appreciating the conversation, nonetheless. :)
If its an OPS price tag then you have a 1951-3 date(one of the few that is actually adhered to the sweatband at original supplier)
5250370017_881504b01c.jpg

Last edited:

luxmatic

New in Town
If its an OPS price tag then you have a 1951-3 date(one of the few that is actually adhered to the sweatband at original supplier)
5250370017_881504b01c.jpg
that's it, except mine is $20, that's exactly the same tag, all those letters and numbers are the same as mine.

so if i understand correctly, mine must be a 51-53 then. nice!

thanks for the help rlk, much appreciated :)

Donny2guns

Familiar Face
Got my first vintage Borso today, eBay win excellent felt but too small just won't work for me, I put it on the classifieds here for trade, got a Borso Homburg on the way so not too sad, but still am a little.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Got my first vintage Borso today, eBay win excellent felt but too small just won't work for me [...]

Sorry to hear that it didn't fit as you had hoped. But don't be too discouraged. Buying hats unseen is always a bit risky. And we have all landed otherwise wonderful hats that just don't fit. It can smart until you find the right hat. Once you do the wound will close quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael